Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Does PVA wood glue have a particular affinity for wood?

Because when I happen to leave the application brush unwashed for an
hour, it's still usable, whereas when I yesterday glued a piece of
timber in place it started almost immediately to "grab".

In another situation I drilled a hole for a dowel through both pieces
of wood, glued the dowel and hammered it in. But stupidly I had not
previously located a suitable punch to punch it right through into the
second piece, and by the time I did find one (30 seconds) that dowel
was immovable. I've done this before and it works fine as long as one
does not pause even for a second whilst hammering it through.

This is Evo-Stik Weatherproof Wood Adhesive, by the way.

I fill the hole in the outer piece with another dowel cut off flush,
then planed or sanded, by the way(2).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
In another situation I drilled a hole for a dowel through both pieces
of wood, glued the dowel and hammered it in. But stupidly I had not
previously located a suitable punch to punch it right through into the
second piece, and by the time I did find one (30 seconds) that dowel
was immovable. I've done this before and it works fine as long as one
does not pause even for a second whilst hammering it through.

That would be the dowel expanding due to moisture... ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
Because when I happen to leave the application brush unwashed for an
hour, it's still usable, whereas when I yesterday glued a piece of
timber in place it started almost immediately to "grab".

It's just that when it is in a joint it is in contact with wood over a large
surface area .. and if your joints are any good very thinly ... dry wood
acts like a sponge and sucks out the water content ... quickly.

I usually dampen wood slightly when I glue (except with contact adhesive)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Because when I happen to leave the application brush unwashed for an
hour, it's still usable, whereas when I yesterday glued a piece of
timber in place it started almost immediately to "grab".

In another situation I drilled a hole for a dowel through both pieces
of wood, glued the dowel and hammered it in. But stupidly I had not
previously located a suitable punch to punch it right through into the
second piece, and by the time I did find one (30 seconds) that dowel
was immovable. I've done this before and it works fine as long as one
does not pause even for a second whilst hammering it through.

This is Evo-Stik Weatherproof Wood Adhesive, by the way.

I fill the hole in the outer piece with another dowel cut off flush,
then planed or sanded, by the way(2).

It sort of dries out to grab, then seems to set in some mysterious way.

It loves porous wood.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:48:58 +0100, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
In another situation I drilled a hole for a dowel through both pieces
of wood, glued the dowel and hammered it in. But stupidly I had not
previously located a suitable punch to punch it right through into the
second piece, and by the time I did find one (30 seconds) that dowel
was immovable. I've done this before and it works fine as long as one
does not pause even for a second whilst hammering it through.

That would be the dowel expanding due to moisture... ?

In 30 seconds?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
MM wrote:
[...]

It has an affinity for most things, especially the spout of the plastic
container it comes in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:52:02 +0100
"Rick Hughes" wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
Because when I happen to leave the application brush unwashed for an
hour, it's still usable, whereas when I yesterday glued a piece of
timber in place it started almost immediately to "grab".

It's just that when it is in a joint it is in contact with wood over a large
surface area .. and if your joints are any good very thinly ... dry wood
acts like a sponge and sucks out the water content ... quickly.

I usually dampen wood slightly when I glue (except with contact adhesive)

I bet you like Polyurethane glue then! (Moisture set, even underwater)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

MM wrote:
[...]

Yes, it dries hard after a week or two, but on wood it seems to "take"
in no time. I usually leave a joint overnight, but I've noticed that
joints are rock solid after just a couple of hours. I wouldn't like to
subject them to the full working load, mind you, but if one is glueing
and then screwing afterwards, it's not necessary to wait 24 hours.

BTW, anyone know why we used to use horrid-smelling fish glue at
school? It was kept warm in a pot of hot water, as I recall. Wasn't
PVA around in the 1950s?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

I use it extensively on balsa and ply, in model aircraft., Its very
strong,doesn't crack and is generally 'handling safe in under an hour,
though springy stuff may break the join after that time. Overnight is
maybe not full strength, but its close.

I've speeded it up by putting small assemblies in the bottom aga oven.

A trick that is very good for epoxy, too.

BTW, anyone know why we used to use horrid-smelling fish glue at
school? It was kept warm in a pot of hot water, as I recall. Wasn't
PVA around in the 1950s?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

Animal glue in a gas heated pot used to be used in my woodwork class in the
70's ......... and PVA was certainly about then.
The advantage of hot melt glue was that it was gap filling and set as soon
as it cooled.

Axminter still sell the stuff.

Elf & Safely ... probably wouldn't let school kids near it now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

HOT GLUE GUN.

Wood glue for wood turning. [email protected] Woodturning 2 April 5th 08 04:24 AM
Wood Glue Specials for wood turning. [email protected] Woodturning 2 March 31st 08 11:37 PM
Wood Glue Clint[_3_] Woodworking 10 September 21st 07 02:33 PM
white glue vs wood glue marcus Woodworking 8 December 19th 04 02:23 AM
Best Wood glue Keith Young Woodturning 11 November 10th 04 12:28 PM