Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does PVA wood glue have a particular affinity for wood?

MM wrote:
Because when I happen to leave the application brush unwashed for an
hour, it's still usable, whereas when I yesterday glued a piece of
timber in place it started almost immediately to "grab".

In another situation I drilled a hole for a dowel through both pieces
of wood, glued the dowel and hammered it in. But stupidly I had not
previously located a suitable punch to punch it right through into the
second piece, and by the time I did find one (30 seconds) that dowel
was immovable. I've done this before and it works fine as long as one
does not pause even for a second whilst hammering it through.

This is Evo-Stik Weatherproof Wood Adhesive, by the way.

I fill the hole in the outer piece with another dowel cut off flush,
then planed or sanded, by the way(2).

It sort of dries out to grab, then seems to set in some mysterious way.

It loves porous wood.

MM