Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How's this quote for a dormer re-roof?

Hi all
The roof of a dormer window is completely shot and leaking badly so needs
redoing. I got a local roofing company in to quote for redoing using
fibreglass (I've used them before and I rate them). Bit surprised at the
figure though - 1200 GBP all in. That includes scaffolding which I'm told
is necessary. Also; they wanted to do the job with a forward-tilting roof
and guttering installed; but because this is a period property I want it
doing as is, ie matching the other (original) dormers; that is, built with
no gutters and the roof tilting rearwards towards the tiles.

Picture he
https://imgur.com/a/LRF22

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a breakdown of costs by
scaffolding/materials/labour; but before I do, what does the panel reckon
to the 1200 GBP figure?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These days sounds pretty cheap, it can cost that much for a bodged up garden
fence these days.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/18 15:39, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Seems high. In 2012 I got about 30m2 of dormers redecked with new OSB,
felted plus 50mm of celotex installed for £1800+VAT.

The scaffold was already there for the main roof retiling.

Also, I question the need for scaffold there - it's such a tiny area and
it's what, 4m off the ground?

As for sloping back, why not? Mine has front guttering that simply goes
around the side and drops onto the main tiles to run into the main
guttering. As long as the read flashing is built with that in mind, it
seems OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 15:39:37 UTC, Lobster wrote:
[...]

The forwardslope will only be slight, better and normal these days.
Probably a gutter will be needed
£1200 seems reasonable to me.
Watch out for the fine print.
It may need more work when the existing roofing is removed, in fact, almost certain to. Rot etc.
What about the internal "ceiling" to the dormer, any traces of damp/rot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Also; they wanted to do the job with a forward-tilting roof and
guttering installed; but because this is a period property I want it
doing as is, ie matching the other (original) dormers; that is, built
with no gutters and the roof tilting rearwards towards the tiles.

I really know nothing about these things, but we have a much larger
back-tilting dormer roof.
We consulted a surveyor, who advised that changing the tilt would
involve quite a bit of additional work at the main roof interface and
advised against it.
We had occasional water ingress from the "gutter" along the back of the
roof and he agreed with me that the way to deal with that was to take
the dormer roof covering much further back under the main roof and form
an upstand as a sort of dam. We presumed that in storm conditions waves
sometimes formed in the rain on the dormer and had been blowing up and
under the main roof.

Coincidentally, today as we drove in my wife remarked that the
re-roofing of the dormer all those years ago had worked well.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2018 15:39, Lobster wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't baulk at that if I thought it was going to be done well.
Although I think I'd expect to be able to do it from a (professional
sized, i.e. 8x4) scaffold tower. You'd want to be sure they spent time
getting the rear "gutter" done well, removing existing tiles etc. They
might not have offered a breakdown if they have a standard formula with
a price per unit area that they find covers labour and materials. Not
unreasonable to ask how long they think it will take but you can't blame
them for being coy about their business model.

Is it just the roof that is dodgy, or might they have to do some
reconstruction of the sides, window frame, etc?