Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How's this quote for a dormer re-roof?

On 15/03/18 15:39, Lobster wrote:
Hi all
The roof of a dormer window is completely shot and leaking badly so needs
redoing. I got a local roofing company in to quote for redoing using
fibreglass (I've used them before and I rate them). Bit surprised at the
figure though - 1200 GBP all in. That includes scaffolding which I'm told
is necessary. Also; they wanted to do the job with a forward-tilting roof
and guttering installed; but because this is a period property I want it
doing as is, ie matching the other (original) dormers; that is, built with
no gutters and the roof tilting rearwards towards the tiles.

Picture he
https://imgur.com/a/LRF22

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a breakdown of costs by
scaffolding/materials/labour; but before I do, what does the panel reckon
to the 1200 GBP figure?

Thanks
David

Seems high. In 2012 I got about 30m2 of dormers redecked with new OSB,
felted plus 50mm of celotex installed for £1800+VAT.

The scaffold was already there for the main roof retiling.

Also, I question the need for scaffold there - it's such a tiny area and
it's what, 4m off the ground?

As for sloping back, why not? Mine has front guttering that simply goes
around the side and drops onto the main tiles to run into the main
guttering. As long as the read flashing is built with that in mind, it
seems OK.