Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need new roof - thinking about a dormer

Our roof has a couple of slates missing, a few slipped and when the rain is
in a certain direction it comes through the bedroom ceiling.

I have been quoted £2500 for sorting the roof (remove slates, re-felt, put
slates back). Should I be able to get away with a bodge here? Given that
rain is coming in would it suffice to replace the missing slates, shove the
rest back into place and do something to prevent them slipping about in
future winds?

And if I get the roof done what should I expect to pay extra to get a dormer
put in and make the loft into a proper room?
The loft has a stairway and is boarded out but I think it was a DIY job as
when we bought it it the sellers weren't allowed to describe it as a
bedroom.

Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Our roof has a couple of slates missing, a few slipped and when the rain is
in a certain direction it comes through the bedroom ceiling.

I have been quoted £2500 for sorting the roof (remove slates, re-felt, put
slates back). Should I be able to get away with a bodge here? Given that
rain is coming in would it suffice to replace the missing slates, shove the
rest back into place and do something to prevent them slipping about in
future winds?

And if I get the roof done what should I expect to pay extra to get a dormer
put in and make the loft into a proper room?
The loft has a stairway and is boarded out but I think it was a DIY job as
when we bought it it the sellers weren't allowed to describe it as a
bedroom.

Ta.

You have not mentioned how old the roof is.

If these are nailed on slates and they are slipping because the nails
have given up then you can expect continuing problems with the slates.

Dormer cost would depend on the existing construction. Would velux be an
option?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
Our roof has a couple of slates missing, a few slipped and when the rain
is in a certain direction it comes through the bedroom ceiling.

I have been quoted £2500 for sorting the roof (remove slates, re-felt,
put slates back). Should I be able to get away with a bodge here? Given
that rain is coming in would it suffice to replace the missing slates,
shove the rest back into place and do something to prevent them slipping
about in future winds?

And if I get the roof done what should I expect to pay extra to get a
dormer put in and make the loft into a proper room?
The loft has a stairway and is boarded out but I think it was a DIY job
as when we bought it it the sellers weren't allowed to describe it as a
bedroom.

Ta.

You have not mentioned how old the roof is.

The house is 100 this year, how old the roof is I don't know but it is no
spring chicken.

If these are nailed on slates and they are slipping because the nails have
given up then you can expect continuing problems with the slates.

I believe they are nailed on.

Dormer cost would depend on the existing construction. Would velux be an
option?

There is a velux in there already, problem is height, I suppose the ceilings
below could be dropped there is room to do this but if the roof is going to
get pulled apart anyway this seemed more logical.
All I know about the contruction is that there is a massive timber running
along the apex (approx 12x6) and at least 2 more about halfway down the
roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:29:40 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

Our roof has a couple of slates missing, a few slipped and when the rain is
in a certain direction it comes through the bedroom ceiling.

I have been quoted £2500 for sorting the roof (remove slates, re-felt, put
slates back). Should I be able to get away with a bodge here? Given that
rain is coming in would it suffice to replace the missing slates, shove the
rest back into place and do something to prevent them slipping about in
future winds?

Old roofs don't have any liner. Ours is 120 years old. Just had 6
slates replaced after the winter storms for £90. If no more bad
storms I expect the roof to outlast me.

And if I get the roof done what should I expect to pay extra to get a dormer
put in and make the loft into a proper room?

No idea but I bet it isn't cheap

The loft has a stairway and is boarded out but I think it was a DIY job as
when we bought it it the sellers weren't allowed to describe it as a
bedroom.

Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:29:40 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

Our roof has a couple of slates missing, a few slipped and when the rain
is
in a certain direction it comes through the bedroom ceiling.

I have been quoted £2500 for sorting the roof (remove slates, re-felt, put
slates back). Should I be able to get away with a bodge here? Given that
rain is coming in would it suffice to replace the missing slates, shove
the
rest back into place and do something to prevent them slipping about in
future winds?

Old roofs don't have any liner. Ours is 120 years old. Just had 6
slates replaced after the winter storms for £90. If no more bad
storms I expect the roof to outlast me.

I have had my head in the eaves, ours has no liner either.
£90 is more like it, I will keep inviting roofers to look at it until I get
one willing to quote for something other than a completet re-do.

Pre-fab dormer? Tony Home Ownership 1 August 3rd 06 01:10 PM
Insulating dormer-type roof? Lobster UK diy 9 July 24th 06 03:13 PM
Technology Changes Thinking, Can Your Thinking Change Technology? [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 24th 06 07:56 AM
Flat dormer roof - best covering material? Keith \(Dorset\) UK diy 13 May 10th 05 11:46 AM
copper roof above dormer tarnished polishing Jeff Klein Metalworking 3 January 22nd 04 01:25 AM