Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Torch - Cree - Ultrafire 14500

I have had a small torch for a few years that took either a AA cell or a
Ultrafire YF 14500 (3.7v).(I think I ordered the torch, batteries and
charger together) Recently I mislaid it and ordered another off EBay.

It arrived today - marked HWA-WYS Ultrafire. and CREE. Looks identical to
original (Focussing lens)

Tested it with a conventional AA and it was fine - cautiously tried it with
the 3.7v which has been fine on the original - it caused the light to flash
on and off. Is this some pretection mode for being over-volt?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

I have had a small torch for a few years that took either a AA cell or
a Ultrafire YF 14500 (3.7v).(I think I ordered the torch, batteries
and charger together) Recently I mislaid it and ordered another off
EBay.

It arrived today - marked HWA-WYS Ultrafire. and CREE. Looks identical
to original (Focussing lens)

Tested it with a conventional AA and it was fine - cautiously tried it
with the 3.7v which has been fine on the original - it caused the
light to flash on and off. Is this some pretection mode for being
over-volt?

Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2018 13:52, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have had a small torch for a few years that took either a AA cell or a
Ultrafire YF 14500 (3.7v).(I think I ordered the torch, batteries and
charger together) Recently I mislaid it and ordered another off EBay.

It arrived today - marked HWA-WYS Ultrafire. and CREE. Looks identical to
original (Focussing lens)

Tested it with a conventional AA and it was fine - cautiously tried it with
the 3.7v which has been fine on the original - it caused the light to flash
on and off. Is this some pretection mode for being over-volt?

A lot of these torches have more than one mode of operation and flashing
on/off is one of these modes. Repeatedly pressing the on off button
cycles through the modes of operation which may be "on fill brightness
- on half brightness - off = on flashing - off - etc. repeated cycle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off
button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

--
*I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Hopefully it is genuine because there are many counterfeit Ultrafire
torches with fake Cree LEDs and fakes 18650 cells.

How do you fake a 18650 cell? Lots make them.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 14:35:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

I've always assumed it was for if you're stranded on a mountain and need to show a light to indicate your position to rescuers, the strobe is more eye-catching and uses less battery than continuous illumination.

But I could be wrong. Maybe it's used for some obscure version of Chinese silent musical chairs at parties, or for mesmerising rhinocerousousouseses.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off
button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly
annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through
the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off
with the next click.

Argh, mutter, mutter, Meldrew mode.... :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:59:08 +0000
Chris Green wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a
"Strobe Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the
on/off button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super
torch, though.

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly
annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through
the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off
with the next click.

Argh, mutter, mutter, Meldrew mode.... :-)

+1

I've got an Olight mini torch. Expensive, but it switches on in the
same mode you as switched it off in and not the next mode in the
sequence - which has really annoyed me with other torches I've owned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Hopefully it is genuine because there are many counterfeit Ultrafire
torches with fake Cree LEDs and fakes 18650 cells.

How do you fake a 18650 cell? Lots make them.

Sellers on Ebay have them listed with capacities of 500mAh to 2400mAh. I
suspect that the former figure is nearer the true capacity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
Hopefully it is genuine because there are many counterfeit Ultrafire
torches with fake Cree LEDs and fakes 18650 cells.

How do you fake a 18650 cell? Lots make them.

When it's not an 18650 inside:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/27603

Or when they lie about the capacity
Or when they skimped on the construction so it only lasts a few dozen cycles
(just enough to get beyond any returns policy)
Or when it's a production reject
Or when they re-wrap a battery and claim it's a branded version:
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...he-samsung-25r
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...-18650-battery

Lots of Chinese vendors make 18650s, but if you want them to last go for LG
Chem, Samsung, Sony or Panasonic. If you can work out which ones are
genuine, that is.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off
button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly
annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through
the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off
with the next click.

Argh, mutter, mutter, Meldrew mode.... :-)

Quite. Thought it was just me. Assumed youngsters love plenty 'functions'
they'll never use. Like most phones.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-10, Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off
button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly
annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through
the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off
with the next click.

Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Judging by the adverts for these torches it is for those Americans who
are in a constant state of training to combat federal government special
forces planning to take away their constitutional rights. I think it is
intended to temporarily distract and confuse the enemy.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Judging by the adverts for these torches it is for those Americans who
are in a constant state of training to combat federal government special
forces planning to take away their constitutional rights. I think it is
intended to temporarily distract and confuse the enemy.

Perhaps they mount them on their rifles designed for protecting the person
only. Flashes in sync with the speed of firing.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-10, Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off
button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly
annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through
the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off
with the next click.

Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Cyclists like to mount them on the front of the bike - mor "eye
catching" than a static light...

(and perhaps means you can crash in stop motion ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:59:08 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

My Lidl one has that. Full, half power and strobe, by cycling the on/off
button. No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

Does anyone else find these two or three mode torches incredibly
annoying as they nearly always use a single button to sequence through
the modes. I want a torch that turns on with one click and turns off
with the next click.

Argh, mutter, mutter, Meldrew mode.... :-)

Yes! I've v. good LED lamp that has 3 modes, so 4 presses - with just on-off
I have a use for it; with 4...!
Having said that, the v. bright Aldidl 2xAA torch has Full - 'Half' - Off
(and zoom) and that could be useful, perhaps, as it'll last about 6 hours on
the lower setting, with a good light.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, 10 March 2018 14:35:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
No idea what the strobe function is for. Super torch, though.

I've always assumed it was for if you're stranded on a mountain and need
to show a light to indicate your position to rescuers, the strobe is more
eye-catching and uses less battery than continuous illumination.

One of our Led torches has a fourth mode where the flashes get emitted as
the Morse S O S signal.

I have found that useful in the Local on a Sunday night when the staffing
drops to one millennial lass serving
between two bars to attract her attention through the interconnecting arch
around the corner from which
she is holding court with hopeful young Males.
In Summer I take my own counter Bell.

GH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
On 16:24 10 Mar 2018, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:

Hopefully it is genuine because there are many counterfeit Ultrafire
torches with fake Cree LEDs and fakes 18650 cells.

How do you fake a 18650 cell? Lots make them.

Lots of manufacturers make cells called Ultrafire 18650 but few are
made by Ultrafire.

There are so many fakes that you can't be sure of getting genuine
branded 18650s even from a reputable retailer. YouTube has plenty of
warning videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ltrafire+18650

Maybe pinch a tesla and use its batteries?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Cyclists like to mount them on the front of the bike - mor "eye
catching" than a static light...

Why would you mount a torch to a bike? You want a much wider beam 'to be
seen' than that from a torch.

Flashing lights on cycles are more down to improving battery life.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Maybe pinch a tesla and use its batteries?

That's actually quite sensible. Anyone want to do a group buy:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic...s/302659762579
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic...s/302659762202

Tesla cells are top-quality Panasonic NCR18650B 3200mAh.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2018 13:57, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

I have had a small torch for a few years that took either a AA cell or
a Ultrafire YF 14500 (3.7v).(I think I ordered the torch, batteries
and charger together) Recently I mislaid it and ordered another off
EBay.

It arrived today - marked HWA-WYS Ultrafire. and CREE. Looks identical
to original (Focussing lens)

Tested it with a conventional AA and it was fine - cautiously tried it
with the 3.7v which has been fine on the original - it caused the
light to flash on and off. Is this some pretection mode for being
over-volt?

Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

I have several that strobe sometimes; usually cleared by turning off and
on. But there is no *obvious" button press sequence to select one or the
other. I can see the case for strobe for cyclists or emergency lights,
but they make little sense on torches, to my mind. I *used* to think
this were a sign of low battery, but it doesn't seem to be on my newer ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Cyclists like to mount them on the front of the bike - mor "eye
catching" than a static light...

Why would you mount a torch to a bike? You want a much wider beam 'to be
seen' than that from a torch.

Flashing lights on cycles are more down to improving battery life.

It makes them more visible to motorists - peripheral vision is far more
sensitive to movement or flashing...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Yes, me. WTF use is the "flashing" mode?

Cyclists like to mount them on the front of the bike - mor "eye
catching" than a static light...

Why would you mount a torch to a bike? You want a much wider beam 'to be
seen' than that from a torch.

Flashing lights on cycles are more down to improving battery life.

It makes them more visible to motorists - peripheral vision is far more
sensitive to movement or flashing...

Yes, but it's much more difficult to judge distance and it doesn't
identify the light as belonging to a cyclist.

The best way to make sure you are seen (as a cyclist, or a pedestrian,
or a horse rider, or anything) is to give extra hints which give a
clue to what you are. Thus reflectors on pedals are good, and
reflective strips on bridles and feet of horses. Knowing what
soemthing is helps a lot in making one react to it sensibly.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flashing lights on cycles are more down to improving battery life.

It makes them more visible to motorists - peripheral vision is far more
sensitive to movement or flashing...

Yes, but it's much more difficult to judge distance and it doesn't
identify the light as belonging to a cyclist.

Skipping lightly over the illegality.

The law got changed to accommodate the sods over 10 years ago, even before
many attached the lights to themselves rather than the bike so not being
bike lamps they were just lights so not specifically illegal.

Trouble is the twinkling lights then were not too bright,now with high
power lamps available it is like someone aiming a lighthouse at on coming
traffic.
If one is set too high and dazzles me Ive taken to returning to high beam
with every flash of theirs.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 13:02:39 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Cyclists like to mount them on the front of the bike - mor "eye
catching" than a static light...

Why would you mount a torch to a bike? You want a much wider beam 'to
be seen' than that from a torch.

A lot of the multi-mode LED lamps also have zoom.

Flashing lights on cycles are more down to improving battery life.

They're more noticeable against a background of other lights, when
viewed head-on they appear as movement to which our brains assign a
higher priority. I use a small flashing lamp aimed forwards and a
brighter steady lamp aimed at the road surface ahead, the latter being
easier for other road users to judge position and distance from, as
well as illuminating potholes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:40:07 +0000
newshound wrote:

I have several that strobe sometimes; usually cleared by turning off
and on. But there is no *obvious" button press sequence to select one
or the other.

On most that I have encountered clicking the switch turns them on and
off, half-pressing the switch without clicking cycles through the
modes[1]. Power cycling usually restarts in the same made it was in
when switched off, except for my bike lights, which annoyingly always
have to cycle through all modes.

[1] Usually bright, dim and flash, sometimes more than one flash
setting e.g. even blink, uneven strobe, SOS Morse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/18 17:16, Huge wrote:
Trouble is the twinkling lights then were not too bright,now with high
power lamps available it is like someone aiming a lighthouse at on coming
traffic.

Well, you don't really want to hit them, they do cause a lot of damage
to the car.

But think of the carbon footprint you destroy!

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:

Flashing lights on cycles are more down to improving battery life.

It makes them more visible to motorists - peripheral vision is far more
sensitive to movement or flashing...

Yes, but it's much more difficult to judge distance and it doesn't
identify the light as belonging to a cyclist.

Skipping lightly over the illegality.

The law got changed to accommodate the sods over 10 years ago, even before
many attached the lights to themselves rather than the bike so not being
bike lamps they were just lights so not specifically illegal.

Trouble is the twinkling lights then were not too bright,now with high
power lamps available it is like someone aiming a lighthouse at on coming
traffic.
If one is set too high and dazzles me I've taken to returning to high beam
with every flash of theirs.

GH

I you sure that is a wholly wise statement to publish on Usenet? If
you were unfortunate enough to have a serious accident, dredging that up
might convert a charge of causing death by careless driving (or even
NFA) to one of murder. For the avoidance of doubt the argument applies
equally to doing the same to another car driver; but you might not
want to do that because of the perceived danger to your own safety.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Marland wrote:

[...]

********

Do you think after every RTA some employee of a cash starved police force
goes through the archives of Usenet on the unlikely chance someone made a
statement about any behaviour that could have a bearing on any incidents.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Marland wrote:

[...]

No, but the relatives of the deceased will search every inch of the
Internet for any dirt they can find.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Marland wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Marland wrote:

[...]

And in the extremely unlikely they even know about Usenet they would find a
post that said some bloke was flashing his lights at the cyclist, in the
really unlikely event they could actually get in contact then I would say
of course I was ,the cyclist was for some reason not paying attention and
dazzling me and flashing lights is an approved signal to let the cyclist
know Im there.
Anyway any sane cyclist will have a helmet cam ,they would be better
looking at the footage from that rather than following crackpot theories,
and the reason for flashing my lights will still stand .

GH