Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quooker

Tim Streater wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Paper with 5.5kW passing through it? Is that a good idea?

It's not passing through as *heat*, though, is it.

No, but it only needs a tiny percentage to get converted *into* heat ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've not measured the actual power consumption. But if that is wrong due
to our voltage being 240 rather than the nominal 230, is the induction hob
figure likely to be any more accurate?

I could well be wrong as I haven't had one but had thought that the
power delivered to each "ring" was monitored by the control system in
order to keep the total within the overall envelope set according to the
supply.

--

Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2018 15:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Paper with 5.5kW passing through it?Â* Is that a good idea?

It's not passing through as *heat*, though, is it.

No, but it only needs a tiny percentage to get converted *into* heat ...

I promise I won't use magnetic paper

Fahrenheit 451 suggested to me that ordinary paper would be safe in
contact with the bottom of the pan in most uses - when boiling/steaming,
gently frying etc. And the useful suggestion of baking parchment seems
to me likely to cope with hotter pans.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2018 14:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

Never having lived with an induction hob, may I ask if it's
practicable to use paper to protect them from cast iron pans

Paper with 5.5kW passing through it? Is that a good idea?

Not if you don't have water in the pan.

They only get to boiling point when there is water in,

but a wok could get a lot hotter. BTDTGTTS, it only takes a few seconds
with a thin pressed steel wok like the ones they did in Asda for 99p. I
took it back under the Asda promise and bought a decent stainless steel
wok that is fine for a couple of minutes before it gets too hot and
smokes the oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Paper with 5.5kW passing through it?Â* Is that a good idea?

It's not passing through as *heat*, though, is it.

No, but it only needs a tiny percentage to get converted *into* heat ...

I promise I won't use magnetic paper

Fahrenheit 451 suggested to me that ordinary paper would be safe in
contact with the bottom of the pan in most uses - when boiling/steaming,
gently frying etc.Â* And the useful suggestion of baking parchment seems
to me likely to cope with hotter pans.

How hot does an oven go? 250C?

An empty pan on an induction hob could go hotter.

Just make sure its got water in the pan and it won't get hot enough to
do anything to the paper.

I have used a cotton tea towel under a cast iron trivet to stop it
scratching the hob. Works fine as long as you keep an eye on it. I have
even used two rings to heat the trivet as its big enough to span two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
"Miele induction hobs with WaterBoost offer a maximum power level of up
to 5.5 kW on a 28 cm cooking zone for pans over 24 cm in diameter.
Thanks to the high power, two litres of water will boil in 2 minutes and
38 seconds."

Being an anorak, just boiled exactly 1 litre of cold water from the cold
mains tap in my pretty old 2.2kW kettle. 2 min 30 secs.

So looks like an induction hob is wasting quite a bit of energy. Probably
heating the heavy pan needed.

You don't need a heavy pan.
The approx half millimetre pressed steel pans work fine for boiling stuff.
Just be careful if frying in them as they get hot rather quickly. The
non stick coating and oil then burn.

Which would be less of an issue when
actually cooking something for a time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2018-02-15, Dave W wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
news
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

I Googled it to find out what the hell it is, and in their Terms &
Conditions it says "You may not create any links to this Website".

That's incredibly enforceable.

Not.

If anyone wants to see the relevant bit the link is here

http://www.quooker.co.uk/enuk/shop-1...and-conditions

para 8.2.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-15, Dave W wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
news OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

I Googled it to find out what the hell it is, and in their Terms &
Conditions it says "You may not create any links to this Website".

That's incredibly enforceable.

Not.

If anyone wants to see the relevant bit the link is here

http://www.quooker.co.uk/enuk/shop-1...and-conditions

para 8.2.

Isn't that a bit naughty to post this link?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

No. Not in the slightest. Para 8.2 is elephant sized ********.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-15, Dave W wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
news OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

I Googled it to find out what the hell it is, and in their Terms &
Conditions it says "You may not create any links to this Website".

That's incredibly enforceable.

Not.

If anyone wants to see the relevant bit the link is here

http://www.quooker.co.uk/enuk/shop-1...and-conditions

para 8.2.

Isn't that a bit naughty to post this link?

If they don't want internal inks to work they should tell their server.

--

Roger Hayter