Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quooker

OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Seems to be an expensive way of buying a £20 kettle.

How easy it it to get and fit spares like the pull out flexible hose
that has deal with boiling water?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

A friend has one. Its ruined the normal pacing of the tea and coffee
making ceremony. Somehow its just not the same without the kettle filling
stage and waiting for it to boil. Its just all wrong. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Seems to be an expensive way of buying a £20 kettle.

How easy it it to get and fit spares like the pull out flexible hose
that has deal with boiling water?

Easy with a big enough bank balance. I can buy a lot of electricity with
7 or 800 quid!

I'm trying to push her towards the combined hot/cold/boiling tap
arrangement.

This is a hard water area and I am concerned about scale inside the
reservoir. Presumably there is an over pressure relief valve and some
sort of tundish arrangement. I don't have a huge amount of confidence in
the filter/scale remover offering either:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

alan_m wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

OK So she wants a quooker!

Seems to be an expensive way of buying a £20 kettle.

7 or 800 quid!

HFM?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

The Quooker tap is boiling only and mounted away from the main tap, for
safety.

The TV advert that shows someone using boiling water from the spout,
then someone else comes along and whips out the flex to take a drink of
cold water seems to be asking for someone to cock up and get burnt ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:06:46 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Don't you think this NG is active enough without the need to fan yet
another "Flame War"(tm)? :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

We installed one a few years ago because the new kitchen is a long way
from the hot water cylinder and it was taking ages - and wasting lots of
water and energy - waiting for the hot tap to run hot.

Our Quooker is the combi type, which has a dedicated boiling water tap
and also feeds the hot tap by mixing boiling and cold water.

OK, it's expensive - but it's a joy to turn on the hot tap and get
virtually instant hot water. The boiling water is great for making tea
and coffee, and also for filling saucepans when cooking spuds, etc.

When washing up water starts to go cool before you've finished the
washing up, a quick shot of boiling water livens it up beautifully.

Cold water is supplied to the Quooker through a check valve, and
expansion is taken care of by a pressure release valve whose output is
teed into a drain pipe.

We're in a relatively hard water area, and I've had to de-scale the
spout on the boiling tap a few times, but otherwise it's been ok. We
have no separate water softening device - except for one of these snake
oil devices with a coil of wire round the rising main, which SWMBO
insisted on years ago - long before we installed the Quooker.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Insufficient data - crucially what do you get (or get to keep!) in return?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 22:13, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

I'm trying to push her towards the combined hot/cold/boiling tap
arrangement.

Our main tap is hot softened, cold softened, cold unsoftened filtered.
The Quooker tap is boiling only and mounted away from the main tap, for
safety.

A friend has the boiling water version - he told me it was quite a bit
more expensive than the 95C model. Anyway, ISTR you can put your hand
under the boiling water for a short time in reasonable safety -
something to do with the 'aerated' flow. I think. From memory.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 22:54, Roger Mills wrote:
snip

We're in a relatively hard water area, and I've had to de-scale the
spout on the boiling tap a few times, but otherwise it's been ok. We
have no separate water softening device - except for one of these snake
oil devices with a coil of wire round the rising main, which SWMBO
insisted on years ago - long before we installed the Quooker.

By "no separate" do you mean you use the Quooker "Scale Control"? When
I looked at them I struggled to work out the likely running cost in
terms of replacement cartridges. "4200 litres at 10°dH" is a lot of
coffee but I've no idea how much hot water we use for rinsing, washing
up, and so on.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

I'm trying to push her towards the combined hot/cold/boiling tap
arrangement.

Our main tap is hot softened, cold softened, cold unsoftened filtered.
The Quooker tap is boiling only and mounted away from the main tap, for
safety.

This is a hard water area and I am concerned about scale inside the
reservoir. Presumably there is an over pressure relief valve and some
sort of tundish arrangement. I don't have a huge amount of confidence in
the filter/scale remover offering either:-(

No water softener then? I think you either have to buy their softener
or have your own, otherwise it scales up.

as advise many years ago, our drinking warer is not softened, only the
water that goes to the storage tank in the loft. My brother found, years
ago, that using softened water to make tea completely ruins the taste.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[snip]

OK, it's expensive - but it's a joy to turn on the hot tap and get
virtually instant hot water. The boiling water is great for making tea
and coffee, and also for filling saucepans when cooking spuds, etc.

We have the 'instant hot water' (not the boiling water though) from a
£67 undersink unvented heater from Screwfix. I agree it is wonderful
to have instant hot water rather than waiting (and wating lots of
water in the process). Ours is £67 wonderful though! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Roger Mills wrote:
[snip]

OK, it's expensive - but it's a joy to turn on the hot tap and get
virtually instant hot water. The boiling water is great for making tea
and coffee, and also for filling saucepans when cooking spuds, etc.

We have the 'instant hot water' (not the boiling water though) from a
£67 undersink unvented heater from Screwfix. I agree it is wonderful
to have instant hot water rather than waiting (and wating lots of
water in the process). Ours is £67 wonderful though! :-)

Yes. Same set up here currently. Long pipe, low water pressure. The
Quooker is for the new place.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Insufficient data - crucially what do you get (or get to keep!) in return?

If it stops her waking the recently deceased by cleaning the kettle
every morning (and it is her money) it'll be worth it!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Johnny B Good
writes
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:06:46 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Don't you think this NG is active enough without the need to fan yet
another "Flame War"(tm)? :-)

Somewhere there might be a germ of useful information.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH writes
wrote:

I'm trying to push her towards the combined hot/cold/boiling tap
arrangement.

Our main tap is hot softened, cold softened, cold unsoftened
filtered.
The Quooker tap is boiling only and mounted away from the main tap, for
safety.

A friend has the boiling water version - he told me it was quite a bit
more expensive than the 95C model. Anyway, ISTR you can put your hand
under the boiling water for a short time in reasonable safety -
something to do with the 'aerated' flow. I think. From memory.

The 3 way taps seem to have a *push/turn* operation to reduce scalding
risk.

On the planned use for tea/coffee, I am not hugely concerned about
excess sodium from using softened water but what about pre-loading
vegetable saucepans?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 10:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Insufficient data - crucially what do you get (or get to keep!) in
return?

If it stops her waking the recently deceased by cleaning the kettle
every morning (and it is her money) it'll be worth it!

Ta - I'm persuaded it's not "if" but "how"

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Insufficient data - crucially what do you get (or get to keep!) in
return?

If it stops her waking the recently deceased by cleaning the kettle
every morning (and it is her money) it'll be worth it!

Yup. At least the furr will now be where she can't get at it. ;-)

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2018-02-14, Tim Lamb wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

On the planned use for tea/coffee, I am not hugely concerned about
excess sodium from using softened water but what about pre-loading
vegetable saucepans?

If you have an induction hob, I don't see the point.

How many vegetables go straight in the pot? Heat the water while preparing
them.

Or with many, cook them in a far more sensible way - in the microwave.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm trying to push her towards the combined hot/cold/boiling tap
arrangement.

Our main tap is hot softened, cold softened, cold unsoftened filtered.
The Quooker tap is boiling only and mounted away from the main tap, for
safety.

A friend has the boiling water version - he told me it was quite a bit
more expensive than the 95C model. Anyway, ISTR you can put your hand
under the boiling water for a short time in reasonable safety -
something to do with the 'aerated' flow. I think. From memory.

Its not boiling water then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:06:46 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

I fitted an Emerson Insinkerator for a friend. Fairly simple device
to install and did what he wanted. Failed after about 12 months and a
call to their Watford HQ tech support number was answered by a
pleasant American lady in Wisconsin who took the serial number and
arranged for someone to turn up and fix it the next day. The fix was
a new one with a new guarantee for the whole unit. Quite impressed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 23:12, Robin wrote:
On 13/02/2018 22:54, Roger Mills wrote:
snip

We're in a relatively hard water area, and I've had to de-scale the
spout on the boiling tap a few times, but otherwise it's been ok. We
have no separate water softening device - except for one of these
snake oil devices with a coil of wire round the rising main, which
SWMBO insisted on years ago - long before we installed the Quooker.

By "no separate" do you mean you use the Quooker "Scale Control"? When I
looked at them I struggled to work out the likely running cost in terms
of replacement cartridges. "4200 litres at 10°dH" is a lot of coffee but
I've no idea how much hot water we use for rinsing, washing up, and so on.

No - I meant that we don't use *any* form of softening - other than this
coil of wire device.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 12:29, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Thanks. And apologies if I implied you hadn't been clear. I'm probably
permanently befuddled after trying to work out the likely whole life
costs Quookers, Insinkerators (c.£100 a year for filters) etc.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2018-02-14, Tim Lamb wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

On the planned use for tea/coffee, I am not hugely concerned about
excess sodium from using softened water but what about pre-loading
vegetable saucepans?

If you have an induction hob, I don't see the point.

I'm not adventurous enough to query this activity. Currently a 3kW
kettle is used to heat water to fill a saucepan before cooking on a gas
hob!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

I fitted an Emerson Insinkerator for a friend. Fairly simple device
to install and did what he wanted. Failed after about 12 months and a
call to their Watford HQ tech support number was answered by a
pleasant American lady in Wisconsin who took the serial number and
arranged for someone to turn up and fix it the next day. The fix was
a new one with a new guarantee for the whole unit. Quite impressed.

Fair bit cheaper than Quooker! She is shopping at John Lewis!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 21:07:00 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Total waste of money.
Kitchen gimmick for the gullible..
Nowhere near as reliable or efficient as a jug heater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge was thinking very hard :
That's what I used to do, but since going induction, the hob heats the
water faster than the kettle.

I cannot really see how that can be, if the Kw rating are the same. A
kettle is as near as matters delivers 100% of the energy direct into
the water, as the element is submerged directly in contact with the
contents. An induction hob has losses, the heat is also wasted heating
the container, then the contents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/02/2018 22:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

The Quooker tap is boiling only and mounted away from the main tap, for
safety.

The TV advert that shows someone using boiling water from the spout,
then someone else comes along and whips out the flex to take a drink of
cold water seems to be asking for someone to cock up and get burnt ...

The family in that ad look like they should be demanding the daughter
drinks mineral water.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Huge was thinking very hard :
That's what I used to do, but since going induction, the hob heats the
water faster than the kettle.

I cannot really see how that can be, if the Kw rating are the same. A
kettle is as near as matters delivers 100% of the energy direct into
the water, as the element is submerged directly in contact with the
contents. An induction hob has losses, the heat is also wasted heating
the container, then the contents.

I suspect it has more to do with feminine perception of time than
reality:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Nice of her to mention that just before the 14th of February.

All I got asked for was £2K toward her new car (apparently it's a red
the one she wants, make and model unknown) and another £60 to get some
underwear from Pulse and Cocktails (and that better be the red underwear
I looked at on their website and said "you would look good in that").

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 21:07:00 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Total waste of money.
Kitchen gimmick for the gullible..
Nowhere near as reliable or efficient as a jug heater.

Echoes my opinion:-)

There are angles...... pipe run from the DHW tank is around 1.5m of 22mm
and then 7m of 15mm. Roughly 1.5L. Fine for filling a washing up bowl
but wasteful for smaller quantities. Fair bit of tea bag in cup drunk
and she likes playing with filters and ground coffee.

On the basis that this is our last house I am inclined to stand back and
let her have some fun:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Huge was thinking very hard :
That's what I used to do, but since going induction, the hob heats the
water faster than the kettle.

I cannot really see how that can be, if the Kw rating are the same. A
kettle is as near as matters delivers 100% of the energy direct into
the water, as the element is submerged directly in contact with the
contents. An induction hob has losses, the heat is also wasted heating
the container, then the contents.

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:15:10 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Johnny B Good
writes
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:06:46 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

Don't you think this NG is active enough without the need to fan yet
another "Flame War"(tm)? :-)

Somewhere there might be a germ of useful information.

Well, it all seems fairly civilised so far... :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

Not if you get the right model.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

Not if you get the right model.

we have a kettle with a level indicator but SWMBO always puts far to much
water in.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

Not if you get the right model.

we have a kettle with a level indicator but SWMBO always puts far to much
water in.

I know quite a few who always fill the kettle. Regardless of how much
boiling water is needed. Never quite understood why.

But then I'd guess they'd leave the Quooker peeing out boiling water when
not needed too.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

Not if you get the right model.

we have a kettle with a level indicator but SWMBO always puts far to much
water in.

Others in my household do the same - hence my comment.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 21:53:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Huge was thinking very hard :
That's what I used to do, but since going induction, the hob heats the
water faster than the kettle.

I cannot really see how that can be, if the Kw rating are the same. A
kettle is as near as matters delivers 100% of the energy direct into
the water, as the element is submerged directly in contact with the
contents. An induction hob has losses, the heat is also wasted heating
the container, then the contents.

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

I always put more in than I need otherwise completly emptying the kettle results is some bits of calcium carbonate and other crude being poured into the cup and I'd rather it stayed in the kettle.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
charles wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

People usually put more water than they need in the kettle, often
because of a rather high safe minimum level.

Not if you get the right model.

we have a kettle with a level indicator but SWMBO always puts far to much
water in.

Others in my household do the same - hence my comment.

We have a Duallit (noisiest kettle in the world) where the heating
element is not immersed in the water. Theoretically one could boil a
single cupful but always put in more. I suppose it dates back to
instructions to *always cover the element*

--
Tim Lamb