Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic storage boxes

We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit of a
project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic these are
made from so that we can get the correct glue for the job?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 15:12, Pete Zahut wrote:
We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit of a
project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic these are made
from so that we can get the correct glue for the job?

Does it have a recycling number/symbol on it?
That will tell you what its made from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 15:12:38 GMT, Pete Zahut wrote:

We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit of a
project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic these are
made from so that we can get the correct glue for the job?

---

You didn't ask the person at the checkout? :-)

I have bought many of these in the past, I have never thought about
glue, but the waxy feel to the thing suggests there may be problems.

A glue gun might be the best bet.

One thing that works extremely well on those boxes is duct tape. It
may not lend itself to complex construction techniques, but for
repairs I have found it outstanding.

Incidentally I bought a very large number of these over the years for
a shed and garage storage system. Not sure if you find the info
useful, but in the long term these boxes get quite brittle and are
easily broken.

The coloured ones outlast the clear ones, why I'm not sure because
there is no light in the shed or garage on a day to day basis.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:

We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together

They're generally polypropylene (look for a "PP" or a recycling triangle
with a "5" inside) if so, that's a difficult "low surface energy"
plastic to glue, search for e.g. 3M DP8010NS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns used his keyboard to write :
Pete Zahut wrote:

We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together

They're generally polypropylene (look for a "PP" or a recycling triangle with
a "5" inside) if so, that's a difficult "low surface energy" plastic to glue,
search for e.g. 3M DP8010NS

Brilliant Andy, thanks, there is indeed a PP with a 5 inside the
triangle, so cheers.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:

We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together

They're generally polypropylene (look for a "PP" or a recycling triangle with
a "5" inside) if so, that's a difficult "low surface energy" plastic to glue,
search for e.g. 3M DP8010NS

Brilliant Andy, thanks, there is indeed a PP with a 5 inside the
triangle, so cheers.

.... and take Andy's comment about gluing it seriously. It's very
difficult stuff to glue. You can get glue to do it in fairly small
quantities, they tend to have an 'activator' that you have to paint
the surface with before gluing.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cannot see them, but try nail varnish remover, if it melts them its probably
acetate or polystyrene.
Many are phenolic and hence almost impossible to use solvent glue on.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

It's very difficult stuff to glue. You can get glue to do it in
fairly small quantities, they tend to have an 'activator' that you
have to paint the surface with before gluing.

Loctite sell a "super plastics" adhesive, they do mention polypropylene,
it's just a thick superglue with an activator, I've had variable results
from it, but it is cheaper than the dedicated LSE adhesives. I don't
think there's anything special about the Loctite version compared to CA
mitre adhesive and activator which tend to come in larger pack sizes e.g.

https://toolstation.com/shop/t/p47409
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit of a
project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic these are
made from so that we can get the correct glue for the job?

---

I think they might be polythene, so I'll simply wish you good luck
with that.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 15:34:56 GMT
Pete Zahut wrote:

Andy Burns used his keyboard to write :
Pete Zahut wrote:

[...]

They're generally polypropylene (look for a "PP" or a recycling
triangle with a "5" inside) if so, that's a difficult "low surface
energy" plastic to glue, search for e.g. 3M DP8010NS

Brilliant Andy, thanks, there is indeed a PP with a 5 inside the
triangle, so cheers.

I've used hot glue for unstressed joints in those - if it needs to be
stronger then welding might be worth a go. As someone said up-thread,
they do seem to go brittle after a couple of years, even if kept out of
direct sunlight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 February 2018 15:12:39 UTC, Pete Zahut wrote:
We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit of a
project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic these are
made from so that we can get the correct glue for the job?

Plastics like this are hard to glue. At a minimum, roughen up the surface and degrease before gluing. Better is to flash a flame over it too.

The effective way to join such plastic is to melt it together. You can use molten offcuts like glue as long as you melt the surfaces to be joined when applying it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/18 19:49, wrote:
On Sunday, 4 February 2018 15:12:39 UTC, Pete Zahut wrote:
We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit
of a project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic
these are made from so that we can get the correct glue for the
job?

Plastics like this are hard to glue. At a minimum, roughen up the
surface and degrease before gluing. Better is to flash a flame over
it too.

The effective way to join such plastic is to melt it together. You
can use molten offcuts like glue as long as you melt the surfaces to
be joined when applying it.

Hot glue is not a bad way to start

NT

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 5:55:56 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/02/18 19:49, wrote:
On Sunday, 4 February 2018 15:12:39 UTC, Pete Zahut wrote:
We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda
http://tinyurl.com/ya7a3cjq

We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit
of a project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic
these are made from so that we can get the correct glue for the
job?

Plastics like this are hard to glue. At a minimum, roughen up the
surface and degrease before gluing. Better is to flash a flame over
it too.

The effective way to join such plastic is to melt it together. You
can use molten offcuts like glue as long as you melt the surfaces to
be joined when applying it.

Hot glue is not a bad way to start

NT

Lucas Bergkamp

I have repaired a snapped motorbike mudguard with stainless steel mesh and a soldering iron, the mesh gets pressed into the plastic.