Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eggborough P.S. to close

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:39:18 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

Does this mean anything?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.theguardian.com/business...obs-eggborough
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/18 01:07, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:39:18 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

Does this mean anything?

Of course. It means that they will convert the plant toCCGT. What else?

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. explained on 03/02/2018 :
https://www.theguardian.com/business...obs-eggborough

--

I have worked on most of those the article mentions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

It's not a conversion it would be a new build CCGT rated at up to
2500MW

http://www.eggboroughccgt.co.uk/

https://infrastructure.planninginspe...gborough-ccgt/

Construction is not dependent on the existing station being demolished
first as it will use the existing coal storage area.

Ferrybridge 'D' also a CCGT rated to around 2000MW is expected to
enter the consents process around a year from now.

https://infrastructure.planninginspe...ation-project/

As they built the two new 'Multifuel' units aka wasteburners on the
golf course, they may also build on the now cleared coal storage area,
avoiding the existing station site.

Plus also in that area, Drax are planning to convert either one or two
coal fired units each rated at 660MW (gross) to CCGT's rated at up to
1800MW each. So a total station output of about 6GW (from sub 4GW and
falling with each biomass conversion now)

https://infrastructure.planninginspe...g%20Report.pdf

Also a 1500MW CCGT at Knottingley has consent but nothing is currently
happening beyond that.

http://www.knottingleypower.co.uk/

https://infrastructure.planninginspe...power-project/

Plus 1575MW at Thorpe Marsh, currently extended consent for start of
build until next year, but the company behind it defaulted on the T-4
capacity market for a 1.9GW CCGT near Manchester.

https://thorpemarshccgt.co.uk/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN1491E2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Graham. explained on 03/02/2018 :
https://www.theguardian.com/business...obs-eggborough

I have worked on most of those the article mentions.

I have worked at Eggborough and Fiddlers Ferry and have clambered
round inside the main alternators at both of them.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 01:38:27 +0000
Graham. wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:39:18 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

Does this mean anything?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...obs-eggborough

Thank you.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 05:14:49 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 03/02/18 01:07, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:39:18 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

Does this mean anything?

Of course. It means that they will convert the plant toCCGT. What
else?

Without any references to what it is about, nothing. Is Eggborough
P.S. on the Moon, possibly?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/18 12:20, Davey wrote:
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 05:14:49 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 03/02/18 01:07, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:39:18 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

Does this mean anything?

Of course. It means that they will convert the plant toCCGT. What
else?

Without any references to what it is about, nothing. Is Eggborough
P.S. on the Moon, possibly?

Only a complete idiot would think so.

But then....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 09:16:07 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

It's not a conversion it would be a new build CCGT rated at up to
2500MW

Lots of other new CCGT power stations.

Eggbrough 2.5 GW
Ferrybridge 'D' 2.0GW
Drax one or two 1.8 GW / 3.6 GW
Knottingley 1.5 GW
Thrope Marsh 1.575 GW

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 February 2018 15:17:58 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

There is plenty of oil and gas west of Shetland.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/18 15:17, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 09:16:07 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

It's not a conversion it would be a new build CCGT rated at up to
2500MW

Lots of other new CCGT power stations.

Eggbrough 2.5 GW
Ferrybridge 'D' 2.0GW
Drax one or two 1.8 GW / 3.6 GW
Knottingley 1.5 GW
Thrope Marsh 1.575 GW

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

No. Fracking or Qatar or Norway

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

IIRC, we don't import any gas from Russia. It all comes from those bastions
of human rights and female emancipation in the Middle East.

44% imported from Norway, Belgium, Holland
(although supposedly none is from Russia, no doubt if Russia turned the
tap off, our supply would be affected through knock-on effects).

43% UK produced

11% LPG from Qatar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/18 15:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 15:17:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 09:16:07 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

It's not a conversion it would be a new build CCGT rated at up to
2500MW

Lots of other new CCGT power stations.

Eggbrough 2.5 GW
Ferrybridge 'D' 2.0GW
Drax one or two 1.8 GW / 3.6 GW
Knottingley 1.5 GW
Thrope Marsh 1.575 GW

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

Fracking? Not popular everywhere, but opinions may change when the
lights go out and we start to shiver in the dark...

In the early 70s I happened to be in Canada when the supply of oil from
the Middle East was suddenly turned off. For many years the Albertans
had been trying to get the Ottawa government to develop the Athabasca
tar sands, but without success. When the supply from the middle east
dried up, the Canadian government rather unsurprisingly showed a lot of
interest in the tar sands. That resulted in a lot of bumper stickers in
Alberta which read "Let the eastern *******s freeze in the dark"!

There is truly nothing new on Earth!

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2018 18:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

IIRC, we don't import any gas from Russia. It all comes from those
bastions
of human rights and female emancipation in the Middle East.

44% imported from Norway, Belgium, Holland
(although supposedly none is from Russia, no doubt if Russia turned the
tap off, our supply would be affected through knock-on effects).

43% UK produced

11% LPG from Qatar

Gazprom trades wholesale gas in London, though. I'd always assumed it
went into a European grid somehow (certainly they ship it to Europe).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 09:16:07 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

It's not a conversion it would be a new build CCGT rated at up to
2500MW

Lots of other new CCGT power stations.

Eggbrough 2.5 GW
Ferrybridge 'D' 2.0GW
Drax one or two 1.8 GW / 3.6 GW
Knottingley 1.5 GW
Thrope Marsh 1.575 GW

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

Some will eventually displace the other gas fired stations in the
region built in the 1990's

Teesside is already long gone (1.9GW)
Killingholme A & B 0.6GW + 0.9GW
South Humber Bank 1.3GW
Keadby 0.7GW

Circa 5.4GW total

Immingham and Saltend are probably more secure being tied into
adjacent chemical plant / oil refineries for process heat.

The Langeled pipeline from Norway (25 bn m^3 / annum, a third of our
demand ) is terminated in East Yorkshire. No LNG import facilities in
that neck of the woods though.

While Centrica currently has an agreement for around 5% of import from
Russia (via Europe) Norway, LNG from Qatar and the USA are more
likely long term 'secure' UK gas sources.

There are also huge offshore wind developments (Dogger Bank) coming
along. (2 x 1.2 GW connected North of Hull, 1.2GW connected on
Teeside)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-02-03, Dave Liquorice wrote:

[12 lines snipped]

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

IIRC, we don't import any gas from Russia. It all comes from those bastions
of human rights and female emancipation in the Middle East.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-c...0NY1FH20150513

May 13, 2015

"Gazprom’s supplies to Centrica will rise to 29.1 billion cubic metres
(bcm) until 2021, compared with 2.4 bcm agreed in a three-year deal in
2012. On average of the six-year deal, Gazprom will provide roughly 9
percent of Britain’s gas needs, according to Reuters calculations. "

Centrica - The latest view on UK gas market events
https://www.centrica.com/news/latest...-market-events

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:48:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

No. Fracking ...

Is there any commercial fracked gas production, of that scale, in the
UK?

Thanks to others for providing a better picture of the UKs gas
sources.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 09:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:48:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

No. Fracking ...

Is there any commercial fracked gas production, of that scale, in the
UK?

We have had at least one shipment of LNG from the USA but AIUI it's v v
expensive because of the Asian states with no domestic production or
pipelines who have to pay top dollar.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 February 2018 18:39:19 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
, but they have an application in to convert to gas.

This is one reason for it.
Energy demand in the UK is falling.
http://www.power-technology.com/feat...-last-5819050/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Is there any commercial fracked gas production, of that scale, in the
UK?

Several exploration-scale operations getting under way this year

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/25/fracking-start-2018-shale-gas-uk-industry-protests

Including Mr Ineos wanting it as a chemical feedstock, rather than fuel.