Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eggborough P.S. to close

On 03/02/18 15:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 15:17:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 09:16:07 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

It's not a conversion it would be a new build CCGT rated at up to
2500MW

Lots of other new CCGT power stations.

Eggbrough 2.5 GW
Ferrybridge 'D' 2.0GW
Drax one or two 1.8 GW / 3.6 GW
Knottingley 1.5 GW
Thrope Marsh 1.575 GW

Up to 11.175 GW, that's a lot of gas. Where is that going to come
from given that the North Sea is becoming empty. Oh yes, our nice
friendly neighbours, Russia...

Fracking? Not popular everywhere, but opinions may change when the
lights go out and we start to shiver in the dark...

In the early 70s I happened to be in Canada when the supply of oil from
the Middle East was suddenly turned off. For many years the Albertans
had been trying to get the Ottawa government to develop the Athabasca
tar sands, but without success. When the supply from the middle east
dried up, the Canadian government rather unsurprisingly showed a lot of
interest in the tar sands. That resulted in a lot of bumper stickers in
Alberta which read "Let the eastern *******s freeze in the dark"!

There is truly nothing new on Earth!

--

Jeff