Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disconnecting Solvent weld corner

I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for one solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but its connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to the wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the corner without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.
Thanks

Steve Jones
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 12:11:02 UTC, Steve Jones wrote:
I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for one solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but its connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to the wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the corner without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.
Thanks

Steve Jones

Connect or disconnect or what?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 12:29:10 PM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 12:11:02 UTC, Steve Jones wrote:
I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for one solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but its connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to the wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the corner without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.
Thanks

Steve Jones

Connect or disconnect or what?

I am trying to bring the pipe out from the wall. The join is inside the wall so a pipe extension piece wont work. Is there a solvent weld that can go over the old join?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30-Jan-18 12:10 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for one solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but its connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to the wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the corner without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.

Why would you need to damage the kitchen to extend the pipe? It should
run back to a trap, where there may well be a compression fitting you
can undo to replace all the pipe after that. If the trap is solvent
welded as well, there will usually be at least a short run of pipe where
you can fit a straight socket, to extend the pipework. I would avoid
anything that involves trying to make a connection inside a wall, where
you can't easily check it for leaks.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Jones wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 12:29:10 PM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 12:11:02 UTC, Steve Jones wrote:
I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be
removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for
one solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but
its connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to
the wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the
corner without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.
Thanks

Steve Jones

Connect or disconnect or what?

I am trying to bring the pipe out from the wall. The join is inside the
wall so a pipe extension piece wont work. Is there a solvent weld that
can go over the old join?

Assuming the pipe goes straight through the wall to the inside, Id be
cutting and rejoining it inside the house.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 12:32:48 UTC, Steve Jones wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 12:29:10 PM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 12:11:02 UTC, Steve Jones wrote:
I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for one solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but its connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to the wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the corner without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.
Thanks

Steve Jones

Connect or disconnect or what?

I am trying to bring the pipe out from the wall. The join is inside the wall so a pipe extension piece wont work. Is there a solvent weld that can go over the old join?

You're just not giving the info needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Jones wrote:
I am trying to bring the pipe out from the wall. The join is inside the
wall so a pipe extension piece wont work. Is there a solvent weld that
can go over the old join?

No. Once the solvent glue is set, that's it. Only way is to cut it off and
extend.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Jones wrote:

one solvent weld pipe (40mm),

Hacksaw (or multitool) and a new elbow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Jones wrote:

I am having the outside of my house rendered so everything has to be
removed from the outside walls. This has all gone smoothly except for one
solvent weld pipe (40mm), it has a right angle into the drain but its
connected inside the wall which means the pipe work is too close to the
wall to get the render behind. Is there any way to connect to the corner
without digging out the wall or damaging the kitchen to bring it out 20mm.
Thanks

Steve Jones

They don't easily disconnect unless they have been badly made joints to
start with. Easiest would be to cut the pipe inside well away from the
wall, or disconnect if there is a compression fitting to the waste.
Pull out the pipe through the wall from the outside and after the
rendering is done replace the outside pipe and the one through the wall.
At some point an extra joint may be needed if all the outside pipe is
solvent weld, and it may be possible to put a coupler somewhere
inconspicuous. it will be necessary to open up the hole in the new
render and make good round the new outside elbow. With mortar or
acrylic caulk for outside use.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Steve Jones wrote:

one solvent weld pipe (40mm),

Hacksaw (or multitool) and a new elbow.

You reckon if cut the elbow in two and split the part over the pipe you
can get it off? I've done that before, but not sure if it's always
possible?

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or the old trick of using a smaller pipe inside the cut off old one of
course.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Steve Jones wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2018 20:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or the old trick of using a smaller pipe inside the cut off old one of
course.
Brian

OP doesn't really give enough detail, but yes that could be the simplest
way.

Copper pipe comes in 28, 35, 42 mm OD with solder fittings available.
With enough overlap, silicone rubber should give an adequate seal. You
can also wrap the inner pipe with PVC electrical tape so as to make it a
tight push fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 9:48:41 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 30/01/2018 20:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or the old trick of using a smaller pipe inside the cut off old one of
course.
Brian

OP doesn't really give enough detail, but yes that could be the simplest
way.

Copper pipe comes in 28, 35, 42 mm OD with solder fittings available.
With enough overlap, silicone rubber should give an adequate seal. You
can also wrap the inner pipe with PVC electrical tape so as to make it a
tight push fit.

Thanks,
I took your advice and extended inside the house to push it out from the wall, it was more accessible than expected.

Parts washer solvent options (and then disposal of used solvent) [email protected] Metalworking 12 March 18th 18 02:49 AM
When is a solvent not a solvent? James Harris[_3_] UK diy 15 May 5th 17 05:59 PM
Solvent weld is solvent weld, right? Pete Verdon UK diy 23 August 12th 09 06:21 PM
Solvent-weld waste pipe Lobster UK diy 8 August 11th 05 12:39 PM
Solvent Weld Joint Re-use Mark Trueman UK diy 16 May 17th 05 02:56 PM