Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default "boost" switching immersion heaters...

I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

Amy other gotchas?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jim k writes:
I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

There are immersion heater boost switches, such as:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

There are also ones with a timeswitch built in, if
you want it to switch on at same time every day.

Amy other gotchas?

Many of these eventually burn out their contacts,
hopefully after many years of use. Position it
somewhere where it isn't going to set light to a
pile of towels or whatever you keep in the airing
cupboard, and make sure you make really good screw
terminal connections.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

(Andrew Gabriel) Wrote in message:
In article ,
jim k writes:
I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

There are immersion heater boost switches, such as:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

There are also ones with a timeswitch built in, if
you want it to switch on at same time every day.

Amy other gotchas?

Many of these eventually burn out their contacts,
hopefully after many years of use. Position it
somewhere where it isn't going to set light to a
pile of towels or whatever you keep in the airing
cupboard, and make sure you make really good screw
terminal connections.

Thanks Andrew ??
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k writes:
I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

There are immersion heater boost switches, such as:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

There are also ones with a timeswitch built in, if
you want it to switch on at same time every day.

Amy other gotchas?

Many of these eventually burn out their contacts,
hopefully after many years of use. Position it
somewhere where it isn't going to set light to a
pile of towels or whatever you keep in the airing
cupboard, and make sure you make really good screw
terminal connections.

Thanks Andrew ??

Mmm my thumbs-up has morphed into two question marks! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k writes:
I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

There are immersion heater boost switches, such as:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

There are also ones with a timeswitch built in, if
you want it to switch on at same time every day.

Amy other gotchas?

Many of these eventually burn out their contacts,
hopefully after many years of use. Position it
somewhere where it isn't going to set light to a
pile of towels or whatever you keep in the airing
cupboard, and make sure you make really good screw
terminal connections.

Mmm I found a gotcha...

I have two immersions, & what I didn't find out til I went to fit
the boost timers is that one of the exstg two immersion
switches
- A also feeds the spur? to switch B of the other
immersion....

Net result is so far I can't fit both "feed" cables into the
terminals on the rear if the boost timer that I want to replace
switch A....

Any workarounds please?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k Wrote in message:

I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

Amy other gotchas?

TIA

New thread refers:-

Wiring immersion boost switches... Gotcha!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2018 08:54, jim wrote:
jim k Wrote in message:

I want to add a boost function to the rather basic immersion
heater switching of my heating system.

Currently there's a simple switch with neon.

What do I need to look for when choosing?

Amy other gotchas?

TIA

New thread refers:-

Wiring immersion boost switches... Gotcha!

I have a Smiths electronic immersion timer. As well
as four on/off times per day it also has a boost
button. Press once for an hour, twice for 2 hours,
etc. Being electronic I presume that it does its
switching at the AC crossing point when no current
flows.

Has been running for 15 years without problems,
but it was made in the UK, not China.

The Smiths plugin 3pin electronic timer that I
use to control my fridge, was Chinese-made and it
loses all its settings randomly, unless it is plugged
into an ex-BT mains filter socket that used to be used
inside a BT exchange for something.

One day I will try and obtain the correct electromechanical
thermostat (*) to replace the one that failed a week after the 2
year warranty expired (in 2010). But at this rate I might just
get a new fridge (in another 10 years time).

(*) Liebherr's UK agent won't supply (elf n safety) but will send
out an engineer for £175 !, which is 2/3rd what I paid for the
entire fridge.

heatbank immersion heaters jim UK diy 0 August 30th 09 08:54 AM
Immersion heaters Keith Dunbar UK diy 3 June 13th 07 11:57 PM
11" and 27" electric immersion heaters Dave Baker UK diy 9 November 17th 06 06:50 PM
Testing Immersion Heaters and Thermostat Stuart UK diy 5 October 14th 06 11:19 PM
Immersion heaters Mike UK diy 13 June 30th 05 08:17 PM