Mike

Default Immersion heaters

Does anybody know if these are available in anything higher than 3kW. I
realise a higher power one will need a suitable circuit installed but a
faster heat-up time is needed. Alternatively has anybody seen a HW tank
with two holes for heaters ?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mike" writes:
Does anybody know if these are available in anything higher than 3kW. I
realise a higher power one will need a suitable circuit installed but a
faster heat-up time is needed. Alternatively has anybody seen a HW tank
with two holes for heaters ?

There are certainly tanks with two heater holes. Normally the top
one is for quick reheat, but only the smaller volume of water at
the top, and the bottom one is for a slower heat, typically on a
cheap nighttime tarrif. They are usually both 3kW though.

What is the circumstance where you want a quick reheat, and do you
need the whole tank reheating? Maybe a larger tank or higher set
temperature would be an option (what temperature is it set to now?)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Christian McArdle

Alternatively has anybody seen a HW tank with two holes for heaters ?

Yes, or you can buy a hole saw. If you're going for multiple heaters, put
short horizontal ones near the bottom. Top mounted ones are not only less
effective, but bump into each other.

Christian.

Mike

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Does anybody know if these are available in anything higher than 3kW. I
realise a higher power one will need a suitable circuit installed but a
faster heat-up time is needed. Alternatively has anybody seen a HW tank
with two holes for heaters ?

There are certainly tanks with two heater holes. Normally the top
one is for quick reheat, but only the smaller volume of water at
the top, and the bottom one is for a slower heat, typically on a
cheap nighttime tarrif. They are usually both 3kW though.

What is the circumstance where you want a quick reheat, and do you
need the whole tank reheating? Maybe a larger tank or higher set
temperature would be an option (what temperature is it set to now?)

It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do you
have any idea where I can get one ?

Many thanks.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do you
have any idea where I can get one ?

Someone else can hopefully -- I would try asking in a plumbers
merchant. I've seen them installed, but not tried to buy one.

However, can you give more idea what this is being used for, both
in terms of why only very occasionally, and what consumes the hot
water when it does? There may be a better solution, such as an
instant water heater. Also, is this in a home, or somewhere else?
Are any fuels other than electricity available?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ian Stirling

Mike wrote:
snip
It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do you
have any idea where I can get one ?

Is it in a position where you could add extra insulation?
200-400mm of loft insulation helps lots to reduce energy loss.

Christian McArdle

It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do you
have any idea where I can get one ?

If you really have an occasional need for hot water (i.e. in a holiday
cottage), an instantaneous electric heater might be best. Unfortunately,
this is only practical if you have 3 phase. In the unlikely event you do
(i.e. you have it because you already have electic heating) you can get a
24kW electric heater which will provide instant and efficient hot water for
washing up and showers (even an occasional bath if you're patient). It
stores no energy at all, so no need to keep a cylinder hot, or wait for it
to heat up. It acts effectively like a small gas combi boiler.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
If you really have an occasional need for hot water (i.e. in a holiday
cottage), an instantaneous electric heater might be best. Unfortunately,
this is only practical if you have 3 phase. In the unlikely event you do
(i.e. you have it because you already have electic heating) you can get a
24kW electric heater which will provide instant and efficient hot water for
washing up and showers (even an occasional bath if you're patient). It
stores no energy at all, so no need to keep a cylinder hot, or wait for it
to heat up. It acts effectively like a small gas combi boiler.

I was imagining a village hall, but it would be useful if the poster
said what the circumstance is. There are 3kW and 10kW ones available
for single phase supply. 3kW is OK for a wash-hand basin, and 10kW
will be fine for a kitchen sink.

Then there are the 10 litre (IIRC) stored water ones, 3kW. They work
in a light use kitchen sink, but obviously can't handle continuous
use without running cold. Vented ones aren't suitable for a wash-hand
basin (water's too hot, and they can't be used with blending valves).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:06:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do you
have any idea where I can get one ?

Someone else can hopefully -- I would try asking in a plumbers
merchant. I've seen them installed, but not tried to buy one.

All part L compliant cylinders seems to be supplied with 2 immersion holes.

Mike

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
snip
It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the

time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do

you
have any idea where I can get one ?

Is it in a position where you could add extra insulation?
200-400mm of loft insulation helps lots to reduce energy loss.

It's outside in an unheated barn. We need a lot of hot water for use on the
farm only occasionally so something that heats up quickly when needed would
be ideal. I looked at in-line water heaters but the ones that are more than
3kW always seem a lot more expensive than a cheap tank and a couple of
immersion heaters. Of course a 7kW shower unit could possibly be bodged to
do the job but they always seem a bit plasticy for use out of the house.

Mike

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the

time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do

you
have any idea where I can get one ?

If you really have an occasional need for hot water (i.e. in a holiday
cottage), an instantaneous electric heater might be best. Unfortunately,
this is only practical if you have 3 phase.

3-phase ! We still dream of getting one phase reliably out here :-)

Ian Stirling

Mike wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
snip
It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very
occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the

time
it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do

you
have any idea where I can get one ?

Is it in a position where you could add extra insulation?
200-400mm of loft insulation helps lots to reduce energy loss.

It's outside in an unheated barn. We need a lot of hot water for use on the
farm only occasionally so something that heats up quickly when needed would
be ideal. I looked at in-line water heaters but the ones that are more than
3kW always seem a lot more expensive than a cheap tank and a couple of
immersion heaters. Of course a 7kW shower unit could possibly be bodged to

If possible, enough insulation may mean that it's economic to keep heated,
if only used weekly.

Christian McArdle

3-phase ! We still dream of getting one phase reliably out here :-)

You might be surprised if you asked, although they might charge a bomb for
installation. Generally it is 3 phase until adjacent to your property where
they take one of them at random. If it is a reasonable figure to connect,
then have the main house on one phase, the instantaneous heater across 3
phases (or on a 100A phase to itself) and have a single socket each on the
two non-main phases. Tuck these away in the main cupboard with 400V warning
stickers. You can use these with an extension when you have a power cut on
your main phase, if the power cut doesn't take down the lot.

Christian.

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:30:33 +0100, Mike wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
snip
[...]

A time switch may be your friend here?
If you try to bodge a shower you will probably fail as they have are
designed to burst a small disc if there is any substantial back pressure.
This is a permanent failure.