Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Testing Immersion Heaters and Thermostat

Re my previous post about my Immersion heater failing to heat and my getting the
wrong item from www.bes.co.uk.which they have now replaced letting me keep the
"wrong" item . I replaced the thermostat from it in to the exisiting immerser
which I thought was the problem but still the water didn't heat so I have just
installed the replacement immerser I got today and it appears to be working fine
... .
I now have the old immersion heater sans thermostat which I binned .I also have
the other immerser with thermostat .

Is there a way of testing immersers/thermostats other than fiting them and
seeing if they work ( if they do not you still have the problem of knowing if it
is the thermo or the heater that is faulty)

Someone mentioned using a multimeter but can someone explain exactly how you do
that please .I'd like to know out of interest if for no other reason .
thx
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:

Re my previous post about my Immersion heater failing to heat and my getting the
wrong item from www.bes.co.uk.which they have now replaced letting me keep the
"wrong" item . I replaced the thermostat from it in to the exisiting immerser
which I thought was the problem but still the water didn't heat so I have just
installed the replacement immerser I got today and it appears to be working fine
.. .
I now have the old immersion heater sans thermostat which I binned .I also have
the other immerser with thermostat .

Is there a way of testing immersers/thermostats other than fiting them and
seeing if they work ( if they do not you still have the problem of knowing if it
is the thermo or the heater that is faulty)

Someone mentioned using a multimeter but can someone explain exactly how you do
that please .I'd like to know out of interest if for no other reason .
thx
Stuart

Immersion heater: test resistance between the 2 mains Terminals, and
from terminals to Casing. T-C should be open circuit, any significant
conductoin and its liable to blow fuses or rcd. T-T should be 20 ohms
for a 3kW element, higher for lower power elements. If R is much higher
its faulty.

Thermostat: the 2 terminals should be shorted at room temp, and should
go open when probe stuck into boiling water.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct 2006 16:21:37 -0700, wrote:

Stuart wrote:

[...]

Thx NT ...I've now got myself a DMM and will check them to see if they are
working .I've been meaning to get a DMM for a while anyway.I'm sure it will come
in useful .

Stuart m