Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb Tim Lamb is offline

Default Testing Immersion Heaters and Thermostat

In message , Stuart
writes
On 12 Oct 2006 16:21:37 -0700, wrote:

Immersion heater: test resistance between the 2 mains Terminals, and
from terminals to Casing. T-C should be open circuit, any significant
conductoin and its liable to blow fuses or rcd. T-T should be 20 ohms
for a 3kW element, higher for lower power elements. If R is much higher
its faulty.

Thermostat: the 2 terminals should be shorted at room temp, and should
go open when probe stuck into boiling water.

NT

Thx NT ...I've now got myself a DMM and will check them to see if they are
working .I've been meaning to get a DMM for a while anyway.I'm sure it
will come
in useful .

My daughter (totally untrained electrically speaking) fixed her
immersion heater by finding and pressing an internal reset button.

Probably not inherited DIY knowledge but deeply ingrained reluctance to
pay for expert help:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb