Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion heaters

Do the thermostats of immersion heaters get sticky. When we moved into our
new home the hot water was far too hot. With time the situation seemed to
improve, and yet now when I've finally got round to looking at it properly I
find the thermostat is only set for 40 deg. The house had been empty for a
month or two before we move in - would lack of usage cause it to not work
properly and gradually sort itself out?

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:19:03 +0000, Keith Dunbar wrote:

Do the thermostats of immersion heaters get sticky. When we moved into our
new home the hot water was far too hot. With time the situation seemed to
improve, and yet now when I've finally got round to looking at it properly I
find the thermostat is only set for 40 deg. The house had been empty for a
month or two before we move in - would lack of usage cause it to not work
properly and gradually sort itself out?

I've come across 2 or 3 immersion thermostats that are way out, but always
in the direction of cutting out when the water is only lukewarm when set
to reasonable temperature markings such as 60C.Maybe yours is the
opposite?

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi Keith
As already posted I to have had a few cool stat's but also had 1 or 2 like
yours getting to hot ,in 1 case the user left it as it "seemed OK" 2 weeks
later the stat stuck and caused the tank to boil ,this is rare but for the
few pounds it costs for a stat I would replace it.

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jun, 16:19, "Keith Dunbar" wrote:

Do the thermostats of immersion heaters get sticky. When we moved into our
new home the hot water was far too hot. With time the situation seemed to
improve, and yet now when I've finally got round to looking at it properly I
find the thermostat is only set for 40 deg. The house had been empty for a
month or two before we move in - would lack of usage cause it to not work
properly and gradually sort itself out?

Keith

Stats can fail either way and drift either way. If its in the process
of failing and you have a plastic header tank then you should replace
the stat now.

NT