Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Heat resistant cable between LED bulb holder and LED driver, what kind?

I've just installed my first LED driver and bulb in place of a halogen
downlight, I did this as a test. The LED functions 100% without
flicker. Only another 24 to go!

However, the LED driver didn't come with any wires attached, so I
re-used the heat-resistant cables off the old halogen bulb's
transformer. (I used bog-standard blue and neutral cables to connect
the 240V input to the brown junction box.)

Whenever I've had to purchase a new halogen transformer in the past,
it's always come wired up already. So what is the correct name of this
heat-resistant cable so that I can search for it?

Thanks.

By the way, the LED driver is this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I instead chose the following, it comes with wires, but costs
around £2.50 mo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMBKH... 17J1AN&psc=0

Multiplied by 24, that £2.50 saving per bulb is significant.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

Um, do you NEED heat resistant wire?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd very much doubt it, the heat from filament/halogen is very much higher
unless the led is being run close to its limits.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim+" wrote in message
MM wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 19 Jan 2018 15:38:51 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

I assumed I did, with the wires close to the bulb. But perhaps the 5W
LED doesn't run as hot as the 50W halogen?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:49:19 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Provided it is low voltage you could put yuor finger close by to see if it gets hpt, very unlikley too with LEDs.

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the cable.

Yes almost any colours should do but best to stick to something like blue or brown or red black .

For future refernce this is the sort of sleeving that is heat resistant.

https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogu...one%20sleeving

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

halogen filaments run around 2800C. They're connected direct to the endcaps.. LEDs don't run much over 100C, and are indirectly connected. At 5W you can use almost anything for cable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Provided it is low voltage you could put yuor finger close by to see if it gets hpt, very unlikley too with LEDs.

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the cable.

Yes almost any colours should do but best to stick to something like blue or brown or red black .

For future refernce this is the sort of sleeving that is heat resistant.

https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogu...one%20sleeving

Thanks. Actually, I got the step ladder out again and put my hand just
under the new LED bulb. Heat barely detectable. Then I went to one of
the existing halogen bulbs, phew! What a difference.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/01/2018 15:01, MM wrote:
[...]

So just cut the old transformer cables close to the transformer and
reuse them.

Personally I would just do away with the transformer and driver and wire
GU10 fly leads straight into the junction box and use GU10 LEDs.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Provided it is low voltage you could put yuor finger close by to see if it gets hpt, very unlikley too with LEDs.

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the cable.

Yes almost any colours should do but best to stick to something like blue or brown or red black .

For future refernce this is the sort of sleeving that is heat resistant.

https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogu...one%20sleeving

Not much use for a soldering iron that is at 300C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Provided it is low voltage you could put yuor finger close by to see if it gets hpt, very unlikley too with LEDs.

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the cable.

Yes almost any colours should do but best to stick to something like blue or brown or red black .

For future refernce this is the sort of sleeving that is heat resistant.

https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogu...one%20sleeving

Supplementary question:

Is there any use for the old halogen 12V transformers? For example, as
a power supply for Maplin electronic kits/modules?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

snip

Supplementary question:

Is there any use for the old halogen 12V transformers? For example, as
a power supply for Maplin electronic kits/modules?

MM

No. They are horrible things. Designed as cheaply as possible.
Damaged by the heat they produce. Output not smoothed at all and
approximately regulated so that a purely resistive load gets about the
right amount of RMS voltage with an arbitrary waveform. And not
adequately insulated to handle safely without an enclosure of some kind.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 January 2018 12:31:37 UTC, MM wrote:

Supplementary question:

Is there any use for the old halogen 12V transformers? For example, as
a power supply for Maplin electronic kits/modules?

MM

the output is high frequency ac. I suppose you could rectify & smooth it

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
I assumed I did, with the wires close to the bulb. But perhaps the 5W
LED doesn't run as hot as the 50W halogen?

Most of the energy a tungsten consumes goes as heat. LEDs use less energy
for the same light output.

The very most heat a 5w LEd could produce is 5w. The very most a 50w
tungsten can produce is 50w.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use
it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the
cable.

Most would simply buy irons that come with silicone insulated cable
already. But that might mean buying a decent make.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Is there any use for the old halogen 12V transformers? For example, as
a power supply for Maplin electronic kits/modules?

If they are true transformers as early LV lighting used, they can be used
for any purpose that transformer is suitable for. Could very likely form
the basis of a regulated 12v PS.

Later units are SMPS and would likely need additional components to
provide a clean DC supply.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I remember getting a real 50Hz transformer with a Ventaxia fan in the
'80s, but you're quite right I never imagined proper transformers were
available for lights. They would, of course, form the basis for a nice
power supply, but still probably cost more to do than getting a switch
mode one with proper smoothing.

I suppose it depends what bits you have lying around. Small wall wart PS
are pretty cheap - but one which delivers several amps might be cheaper if
you have a free mains transformer for it.

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Provided it is low voltage you could put yuor finger close by to see if it gets hpt, very unlikley too with LEDs.

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the cable.

Yes almost any colours should do but best to stick to something like blue or brown or red black .

For future refernce this is the sort of sleeving that is heat resistant.

https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogu...one%20sleeving

Not much use for a soldering iron that is at 300C

probabbly not but then again I wouldn;t use this sleeving for that , I buy irons with silicone sleeving alreadys on.

https://www.rapidonline.com/antex-s5...e-plug-85-1153

saves me hassle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm not sure you would need it with leds.
Brian

Provided it is low voltage you could put yuor finger close by to see if it gets hpt, very unlikley too with LEDs.

Just bog-standard blue or brown cables ripped from a PC power cable,
then?

Heat restistant sleeving is sometimes called silicone sleeving we use it on our soldering irons in case the students rest the iron on the cable.

Yes almost any colours should do but best to stick to something like blue or brown or red black .

For future refernce this is the sort of sleeving that is heat resistant.

https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogu...one%20sleeving

Supplementary question:

Is there any use for the old halogen 12V transformers? For example, as
a power supply for Maplin electronic kits/modules?

I'm not really familar with those sorts of transformers I;d think you could rectify them and smooth them maybe even regualte them by buying aditional parts
but I wouldnt persoanlly bother, when you can buy ready made PSUs quite easily and cheaply.

MM