Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default which LED bulb and holder for desk lamp?

Hi, I'm making a desk lamp from pebbles and driftwood. The main motivation is in producing a useful sculpture, I don't know much about the lighting technicalities.
I've been doing web searches for several days and eliminated some possible options.

Considering the need for an integral shade holder and the requirement of fitting the lamp holder to a stainless steel bracket I'm thinking that the nickel plated versions of either the E14 (small Edison fitting), or the E27(standard Edison fitting)should be the most likely choice.

I'd prefer to choose the smaller option for compactness but the E14 lamp holders I've seen seem to have a longer body and are described as being candle bulb holders.

There are various LED lamps, both globe and the flatter faced spotlight type with the E14 screw fitting but I'm not sure if they'll fit into a candle bulb lamp holder.

This may seem like a finicky question that could be resolved by trial and error but I've already made a few mistaken Ebay orders in pursuit of this project, so a bit of advice on the matter would be most appreciated.

--
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 02:21:05 -0800 (PST), Mike Halmarack wrote:

[...]

Judging by my 3 desk lights, they're better with E14 and golf ball lamp. The
lamp sits well back in the shade and the spread of light is even. In one,
there's a candle in a B22 - E14 adaptor and it's near the front of the shade
and the spread is largely due to the lamp, not the shade.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 8:05:12 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll go for the E14 with golf ball lamp then. I've got to make the shade yet. Being near several camping grounds I'm thinking of making the shade from a cut up camping gas cylinder, if I can devise a way of being sure it's safely workable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The cable to the lamp holder will spiral along what was once a small tree branch. It will be disguised as climbing ivy by adding modeled leaves.

I was initially set on using a metal lamp holder so as to err on the heavy duty side but is it this choice that would make 3 core, rather than 2 core cable necessary?

--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 November 2015 11:11:09 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I was initially set on using a metal lamp holder so as to err on the
heavy duty side but is it this choice that would make 3 core, rather
than 2 core cable necessary?

Probably; there may be double-insulated metal lampholders but you might be better to avoid them for home-made things.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2015 09:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm thinking of making the shade from a cut up camping gas cylinder, if I can devise a way of being sure it's safely workable.

If you're worried about gas explosions - fill it with water. (you can
empty it again before cutting)

Andy

G9 Bulb Holder DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 4 August 9th 15 11:29 PM
Watch this EE fix a desk lamp Metspitzer Home Repair 1 June 4th 12 05:05 AM
Desk Lamp Mercury [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 February 6th 11 11:37 PM
Lamp Holder Sought Robert Inder Electronics Repair 3 May 1st 07 11:42 PM
Magnifying desk lamp? T i m UK diy 23 July 31st 06 10:00 AM