Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default G9 Bulb Holder

My main room light fitting has 5 G9 40watt bulbs. One has been arcing a bit
and has made a slit in the contact.

I cannot work out how to remove the bulbholder (although as yet I have not
taken it off the ceiling - it could now be the wires holding it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sosjyugx0u...82%29.jpg?dl=0

By sqeezing the threaded part I have been able to release a bayonet type of
fixing but the holder does not withdraw a useful amount (perhaps the wires)
.. However, I have not seen a suitable matching holder. Can anyone make any
suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes:
My main room light fitting has 5 G9 40watt bulbs. One has been arcing a bit
and has made a slit in the contact.

I cannot work out how to remove the bulbholder (although as yet I have not
taken it off the ceiling - it could now be the wires holding it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sosjyugx0u...82%29.jpg?dl=0

By sqeezing the threaded part I have been able to release a bayonet type of
fixing but the holder does not withdraw a useful amount (perhaps the wires)
. However, I have not seen a suitable matching holder. Can anyone make any
suggestions?

I would start looking for a lamp fitting which takes more efficient
lamps. G9 halogens were due to be banned from sale next year, although
they recently got a stay of execution to 2018. They are horribly
inefficient though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would start looking for a lamp fitting which takes more efficient
lamps. G9 halogens were due to be banned from sale next year, although
they recently got a stay of execution to 2018. They are horribly
inefficient though.

Maybe I should - but the light is not used all evening as we have some
wall-lights and reading lights. With only one central ceiling fitting the
200 watts is usefull and it throws the light out sideways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

I would start looking for a lamp fitting which takes more efficient
lamps. G9 halogens were due to be banned from sale next year, although
they recently got a stay of execution to 2018. They are horribly
inefficient though.

G9 LEDs have started popping up in the pound shops. I keep meaning to
grab a couple to try out. One of my properties has dozens of the
blasted things fitted.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

I would start looking for a lamp fitting which takes more efficient
lamps. G9 halogens were due to be banned from sale next year, although
they recently got a stay of execution to 2018. They are horribly
inefficient though.

G9 LEDs have started popping up in the pound shops. I keep meaning to
grab a couple to try out. One of my properties has dozens of the
blasted things fitted.

I think they're 2W, or maybe 2.2W.
Probably roughly equivalent to 20W G9.

I bought a load of the 12V version from a Homebase which was closing,
and they work well but generate vivid 100Hz strobing on a 50Hz AC supply.
They're now relegated to my 12VDC emergency lighting.
I went for a different make for the real lighting, but I should replace
the large 12V toroid transformer with an electronic one.

I haven't got any of the mains ones though.

--
Andrew Gabriel