Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newly-built house - standard bulb holder in bathroom ceilings?!

Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk69 wrote:
Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

Think it is.

The expectation being that any sane homeowner will immediately change
the £2 piece of **** for a nice ditzy £300 luminaire etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk69 wrote:
Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

Of course it is! you're six inches higher when stood in the bath, you should
be able to reach most of the ceiling, where else are they expected to put
the light fitting?

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to
housebuilders to provide lampshades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk69" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

Does
http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/P...0Guide%201.pdf
help you?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:09:19 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Murmansk69 wrote:
Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

Of course it is! you're six inches higher when stood in the bath, you should
be able to reach most of the ceiling, where else are they expected to put
the light fitting?

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to
housebuilders to provide lampshades.

So you don't think when you purchase a 'product it should be safe to
use as purchased? Interesting, I suppose we should scrap all thoughts
of Consumer Protection Legislation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Murmansk69 wrote:
Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

As far as I was aware, if a fitting can be reached from within the
bathtub, then it's in a different Zone with different regs - the pdf
file someone else posted seems to bear this out.

Of course it is! you're six inches higher when stood in the bath, you should
be able to reach most of the ceiling, where else are they expected to put
the light fitting?

In the same place, but making sure it is of the appropriate, legal IP
rating for its location?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:56:57 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

As far as I was aware, if a fitting can be reached from within the
bathtub, then it's in a different Zone with different regs - the pdf
file someone else posted seems to bear this out.

Not reach but within certain distances vertically and horizontally from
the bath and/or shower and/or basin.

http://www.lightahome.co.uk/bathroom...egulations.htm

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct 2006 10:59:45 -0700 someone who may be "Murmansk69"
wrote this:-

Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

A bulb attached to the ceiling? Presumably you mean the bulbs are
inserted into some sort of fitting which is attached to the ceiling.

Whether this complies with the regulations depends on what sort of
fitting it is and where it is located. More information on both is
needed, together with how the circuit powering the light is wired.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct 2006 10:59:45 -0700, "Murmansk69" wrote:

Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms
have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the
ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower
and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

THREE bathrooms ?............Oooooooooooooh.lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Anyway, the lampholder should have a "Home Office" skirt.

So Blunkett can touch it up?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Edward W. Thompson
saying something like:

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to
housebuilders to provide lampshades.

So you don't think when you purchase a 'product it should be safe to
use as purchased? Interesting, I suppose we should scrap all thoughts
of Consumer Protection Legislation.

Only a mental defective is going to stick their fingers in the holder
while in the shower.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Edward W. Thompson
saying something like:

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to
housebuilders to provide lampshades.

So you don't think when you purchase a 'product it should be safe to
use as purchased? Interesting, I suppose we should scrap all thoughts
of Consumer Protection Legislation.

Only a mental defective is going to stick their fingers in the holder
while in the shower.

How about accidental contact with the exposed parts of a broken bulb. Not
as unlikely as you might think as a slip might result in a flailing arm
breaking the bulb.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Edward W. Thompson
saying something like:

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to
housebuilders to provide lampshades.

So you don't think when you purchase a 'product it should be safe to
use as purchased? Interesting, I suppose we should scrap all
thoughts of Consumer Protection Legislation.

Only a mental defective is going to stick their fingers in the holder
while in the shower.

Sadly, due to the nanny state, we now expect to have someone on standby with
a list of instructions on how to have a shower safely and without inserting
any extremities into electrical outlets.....it ****es me off big time that
people are now so unbelievably thick that they need instructions on the
simplest of things:

'Warning - HOT' written on the side of a cup of coffee in MacDonalds, so
that the braindead mutants don't go in there and pour a cupfull of boiling
fluid straight down their gormless throats.

What next? 'do not eat' signs on bags of cement?
'Caution, may cause drowsiness' signs on sledgehammers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Edward W. Thompson
saying something like:

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to
housebuilders to provide lampshades.

So you don't think when you purchase a 'product it should be safe to
use as purchased? Interesting, I suppose we should scrap all
thoughts of Consumer Protection Legislation.

Only a mental defective is going to stick their fingers in the holder
while in the shower.

How about accidental contact with the exposed parts of a broken bulb.
Not as unlikely as you might think as a slip might result in a
flailing arm breaking the bulb.

Yeah, that's the first thing eveyone does when falling over - try to grab
the ceiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:55:01 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Sadly, due to the nanny state, we now expect to have someone on standby with
a list of instructions on how to have a shower safely and without inserting
any extremities into electrical outlets.....it ****es me off big time that
people are now so unbelievably thick that they need instructions on the
simplest of things:

What next? 'do not eat' signs on bags of cement?

They already exist on bags of silica gel :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

What next? 'do not eat' signs on bags of cement?

They already exist on bags of silica gel :-)

Out of interest, what actually happens to you if you eat silica gel?
It's non toxic unless tinged with cobalt chloride moisture indicator -
which wouldn't make a lot of sense inside a white paper bag.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:09:05 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

What next? 'do not eat' signs on bags of cement?

They already exist on bags of silica gel :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Bugger!!

I have been saving them up for a peckish period.

Now you have spoiled it. (