Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Glasses case

Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year... All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/18 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year...Â* All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

I have tons of Boots ones. Never broken one yet...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:07:34 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/01/18 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year...Â* All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

I have tons of Boots ones. Never broken one yet...

I solved that by moving to a monocle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2018 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year...Â* All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

In what way did they fail?

I doubt if any glasses cases can survive being stamped on by a teenager.

I elected for titanium frame glasses precisely because they can survive
almost any amount of mechanical abuse. They strip the steel screw
threads bare if provoked violently enough but that is about it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2018 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year...Â* All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

It may be worth trying a small optician, rather than one of the 'high
street' ones. While the latter are fine for the glasses, the 'old
fashioned' steel cases that you used to get seem to have gone by the
board in such places. The old style cases were steel, covered in fabric
etc, and could be stood on.

Another option, some places sell metal cases with logos on them- often
related to TV shows etc. We used to buy them for our daughter but I
expect they are available in styles boys would like (being non-PC).

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/9/2018 10:37 PM, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year...Â* All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

pound shop...they do a gold one...tacky

--
Sometimes having fun with a narcissist is all the therapy you need ...
Stop cheating...expose a Freemason today...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2018 12:51, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/01/2018 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year...Â* All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

In what way did they fail?

I doubt if any glasses cases can survive being stamped on by a teenager.

I elected for titanium frame glasses precisely because they can survive
almost any amount of mechanical abuse. They strip the steel screw
threads bare if provoked violently enough but that is about it.

Opticians try to foist soft slip cases on you, I usually insist on
proper metal hinged clamshell ones, which really take a lot of abuse.
The rigid plastic versions are pretty durable too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2018 13:28, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/01/2018 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:

It may be worth trying a small optician, rather than one of the 'high
street' ones. While the latter are fine for the glasses, the 'old
fashioned' steel cases that you used to get seem to have gone by the
board in such places.Â* The old style cases were steel, covered in fabric
etc, and could be stood on.

Specsavers still do them. You may have to ask.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 22:37:40 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year... All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

If I could find a UK supplier I'd suggest
http://www.niteize.com/product/Rugged-Optics-Case.asp

However, the only suppliers I've been able to find are in the US so by
the time you've paid shipping, VAT (20%) and the carrier (probably
Parcelforce @ £13.00) for the privelege of collecting the VAT the cost
gets out of hand. It would make sense to buy more than one to
amortise the £13 - the charge is per parcel, not per item in the
parcel.

There's another problem - over the years they've made 2 sizes and all
the ones I can find are large and as the reviews on their own site say
- large is too big. The medium is a much better bet but even that
might be bulky in a blazer.

They make other rugged cases but I'm not sure any will meet your
requirement but have a look anyway.

Another possibility is https://peliproducts.co.uk/cases.html
Peli are known for *very* rugged cases. The sort of thing your would
put a camera and lenses in so that you would be able to check it in as
hold luggage on a plane. Most are also water proof - you can put
them under water and they don't leak. They offer what they call
"micro" cases in various sizes so you should be able to find one that
fits the spectacles. At least they are available in the UK but they
aren't cheap (as you'll see).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 22:37:48 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.

She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as
possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to
school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.

He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year... All
were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the
optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.

Go and see a pensioner.
They will have loads of the indestructible steel ones stashed away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2018 11:44, Bob Eager wrote:
I solved that by moving to a monocle.

Where did you find one? It would be good enough for me to read menus etc.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:50:54 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 10/01/2018 11:44, Bob Eager wrote:
I solved that by moving to a monocle.

Where did you find one? It would be good enough for me to read menus
etc.

That's exactly when I use it a lot. Went out for a meal last night and it
just went in my shirt pocket. Bonus is I have now learned how to use a
jeweller's loupe for extended periods!

In the UK: https://www.reading-glasses.co.uk/all-monocles/