Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spare 13A switch in wall

In our kitchen, there are four electrical things all together.

Dual 13A sockets, and two switches below, one with a neon and one just
plain.

Fine, except I can't work out at the moment what the second switch is for.

One socket does the wall wart for the water softener.

One socket has the 13A plug for the lighters for the gas hob.

The switch with the neon is for the cooker extractor fan (which needs
sorting).

This leaves me with one wall switch and no obvious appliance near it. It
is on the outside wall but there isn't anything outside near it either.

I thought I had sussed it when I remembered the under unit blowers for the
central heating but no, it doesn't do those either.

I am now wondering if there was an extra switch installed which was never
used (e.g. for the water softener which is on the wall wart) or if there
is some other device in the kitchen which is a long way away from the
switch.

Next stage would be to take the face plate off and see if there was
anything connected (that is, wires in and wires out).

Remind me to label up all the switches in future just in case I have
forgotten what they are for 5 years later.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. just tracked it down to the extractor fan in the ceiling (separate
from the extractor fan over the hob).

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would have had it off for a look by now, rather than asking here.
if its got no wires then its free to use, if it has then your problems
start. IE how to figure out where they go with dodgy wire finding devices.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 17:38:24 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 06/01/2018 16:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
I would have had it off for a look by now, rather than asking here.
if its got no wires then its free to use, if it has then your
problems
start. IE how to figure out where they go with dodgy wire finding
devices.
Brian

+1

"P.S. just tracked it down to the extractor fan in the ceiling (separate
from the extractor fan over the hob)."

So basically just a grumble.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 06/01/2018 17:44, David wrote:

So basically just a grumble.

Oh if we're having a grumble...
Can I have a pop at the idiot who screwed a SM lighting transformer to
the (original) ceiling then battened and plasterboarded a false ceiling
over it. Grr...

At least the family member I was swapping the transformer for has agreed
to make good the hole themselves

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 07/01/2018 18:01, Lee wrote:

At least the family member I was swapping the transformer for has agreed
to make good the hole themselves

[].. swapping the transformer _out_ for...[]

Before someone makes a joke about it