Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A inline torpedo switch

All,

I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

thanks,
Michael.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

I'd say an architrave switch in a surface mounted box would be a way -
although not particularly attractive.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4841.html

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type
commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google;
Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i
can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of
sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch,
or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

I'd say an architrave switch in a surface mounted box would be a
way -
although not particularly attractive.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4841.html

One would have to make up some form of cable grip at each end of the
backing box though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
All,

I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

Use a remote controlled socket instead to power the 5 gang lead.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99745&&source=14&doy=16m3

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ARWadworth wrote:

wrote in message
All,

I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

Use a remote controlled socket instead to power the 5 gang lead.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99745&&source=14&doy=16m3

Adam

Agreed - I use the Domia Lite (more expensive but there was a reason I
chose it).

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=627851

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar, 10:03, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

[...]

thanks; I had thought of a surface mount switch; and may resort to
something similar. Its for a corner TV unit; I could maybe mount this
on the top surface, behind the TV... was hoping for minimal 'damage'
to the unit.

If no one makes a 13A torpedo, this will probably suffice.

thanks
M.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar, 10:15, Paul Matthews wrote:
wrote:
So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

Could you make do with an architrave switch? Do you have access to the plug at
the end of the lead?http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/218913

The source socket is already switched; but would require treble-
jointed arms, about6 feet long.

thanks for the suggestion though.

cheers,
M.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar, 12:40, "ARWadworth" wrote:
wrote in message

All,

I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

Use a remote controlled socket instead to power the 5 gang lead.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99745&&source=14&doy=16m3

Adam

Adam,

thanks for the suggestion; the purpose is to reduce standby power on
TV and supporting (DVD, digibox) equipment.

Remote socket would certainly work; but I think my preferred 'plan b'
is probably a slimline surface mounted switch at the moment; although
I do like the remote idea....

thanks,
Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar, 14:54, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
pretended :

All,

I'm looking for a 13A,, inline torpedo type switch; the type commonly
available and in use on table lamps etc; usually 3A. Google; Screwfix
and ebay have failed me.

I want to fit it on the lead for a five gang power bar, so that i can
easily kill power to all the sockets. The bar is mounted out of sight,
and although it has a switch, it is not (easily) accessible.

So.... does anyone know where I can get a 13 A one torpedo switch, or
alternatively, suggest some alternative inline switch?

Very unlikely....

How about a wireless remote control switch, or a five gang outlet with
its own switch - you can even get them these days with a switch for
each outlet, or plug the strip into a short extension and place its
plug/socket where you can get at it. If you need it to be on and off at
regular times, could you perhaps use a plug in timer.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

A plug in timer may work, but would mean that I couldn't watch TV on
bank holidays ! ;-)

I have a corner TV unit with digibox, dvd, stereo etc on the same
unit. Sockets are conveniently located behind said unit. I think I'll
probably stick to the simple switch.

Thanks to all for the suggestions,
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Just a suggestion - but have you checked the technical specs to see what the
stand-by power consumption is? My 7 year old TV is only 0.7 of a watt.

If you switch off your Freeview Box will it have to re-tune when you switch
back on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
[...]

But if he is a Virgin Media customer, he is likely to have a box that
belts out heat. Switching it "off" on the remote seems to do little to
help. So we have our TV (unknown standby usage so savings might be very
modest) and VM box on a Domia Lite remote switch. We do have to wait
something like 3 minutes as it boots up - but that we try to do a little
bit ahead of wishing to watch.

And I also have some other remote switches for my PC upstairs (can use
remote desktop from downstairs which allows me the benefit of a
reasonably fast PC from my modest laptop), for the printer (again
upstairs), for lights in the living room - works a treat.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
thanks for the suggestion; the purpose is to reduce standby power on
TV and supporting (DVD, digibox) equipment.

Remote socket would certainly work; but I think my preferred 'plan b'
is probably a slimline surface mounted switch at the moment; although
I do like the remote idea....

The remote will, of course, have standby power consumption too.

--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
thanks for the suggestion; the purpose is to reduce standby power on
TV and supporting (DVD, digibox) equipment.

Remote socket would certainly work; but I think my preferred 'plan b'
is probably a slimline surface mounted switch at the moment; although
I do like the remote idea....

The remote will, of course, have standby power consumption too.

0.3W according to

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=99745&doy=17m3#faq

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

www.thyromind.info www.thyroiduk.org www.altsupportthyroid.org- Hide quoted text -

Rod,

Indeed I am a Virgin customer. DVD player has been known to be left on
playing the intro loop overnight which can't help power use either.

For anyone stumbling across this thread in the future; I have been
sent a link to a 10A in-line, which should be plenty... thanks to Roy
for this...

http://www.luxurylighting.co.uk/10-a...itch-417-p.asp

Michael