Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I Remove the InLine Dimmer Switch in a Floor Lamp?

I have a floor lamp that has an inline dimmer switch. I would like to
replace the incandescent light blub with a compact fluorescent blub in
order to save electric power (and for another reason). The problem is
that I can only find dimmerable compact fluorescent blub up to the
equivalent of 75-walt incandescent light blubm, and that is too low
for the area that I want to illuminate. On the other hand, the high
power version of compact fluorescent blub that I want is not
dimmerable. I think the best solution is to get rid of the inline
dimmer-switch of the floor lamp and make it non-dimmerable (I never
want to dim the light in that area anyway). Can I simply cut out the
inline dimmer switch and reconnect the power wires together?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad to hear the good news. I am very tempted to simply tape the
dimmer in the full position. But that dimmer is also a way to turn ON/
OFF the floor lamp (all the way down is OFF). Sound like I cannot
simply tape the dimmer to the full position. This is OK. I am happy
just to be able to replace the dimmer switch with a simple ON/OFF
switch.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Jay Chan

On Mar 2, 3:13 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You could do that or just leave or tape the dimmer in the full "on" position

"Jay Chan" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a floor lamp that has an inline dimmer switch. I would like to
replace the incandescent light blub with a compact fluorescent blub in
order to save electric power (and for another reason). The problem is
that I can only find dimmerable compact fluorescent blub up to the
equivalent of 75-walt incandescent light blubm, and that is too low
for the area that I want to illuminate. On the other hand, the high
power version of compact fluorescent blub that I want is not
dimmerable. I think the best solution is to get rid of the inline
dimmer-switch of the floor lamp and make it non-dimmerable (I never
want to dim the light in that area anyway). Can I simply cut out the
inline dimmer switch and reconnect the power wires together?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a floor lamp that has an inline dimmer switch. I would like to
replace the incandescent light blub with a compact fluorescent blub in
order to save electric power (and for another reason). The problem is
that I can only find dimmerable compact fluorescent blub up to the
equivalent of 75-walt incandescent light blubm, and that is too low
for the area that I want to illuminate. On the other hand, the high
power version of compact fluorescent blub that I want is not
dimmerable. I think the best solution is to get rid of the inline
dimmer-switch of the floor lamp and make it non-dimmerable (I never
want to dim the light in that area anyway). Can I simply cut out the
inline dimmer switch and reconnect the power wires together?

This is a pole light, right? With the switch sticking out the side of the
pole? For about four bucks, the Borg has a rotary on-off switch that will
fit right in there. Only downside is the fancy trim cap for the knob likely
won't fit, but it will still look better than an empty hole, and let you use
the lamp on an unswitched outlet. (I assume you didn't plan to leave it
running 24/7, or unplug it to turn it off.) I've converted several lamps
that way, where the crappy dimmer got hot and self-destructed. I also never
use lamps like that other than full on.

aem sends...