Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Sanitary" mastic - second attempt

In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is tiled.. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the mastic?

Thanks,

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 20:12:30 UTC, wrote:

In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is tiled. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the mastic?

Thanks,

Clive

Bleach doesn't affect silicone IME. I assume you're using silicone not acrylic.

Probably the most common cause of silicone failure is expecting it to stretch. It can only move a small percentage of it's own size, and that often comes out to well under 1mm in practical applications. Overstretch it as things move and it fails. Do degrease before applying it, muck is the other cause of failure.

The most common cause of acrylic failure is using it. Only optimists think it suitable for bathrooms.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of
the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is
tiled. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor
of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a
hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the
tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what
does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I
prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from
leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach
cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the
mastic?

The normal sealant to use here would be silicone. Anything which peels off
easily either is poor quality or not correctly applied. Since it is a form
of glue, surfaces have to be clean.

I'm assuming there is no obvious movement between the two?

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

SECOND ATTEMPT, was: What is this wire chain called and how can Ibuy it Ignoramus5048 Metalworking 4 August 22nd 12 11:33 AM
mastic expansion joint Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 12 May 4th 05 05:28 PM
OT removing mastic Karl Vorwerk Metalworking 10 April 22nd 05 12:44 PM
Black Mastic? Bill DeWitt Home Repair 9 April 5th 05 12:16 AM
removing tile mastic from plaster walls Jane Home Repair 5 February 23rd 05 01:12 PM