DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Sanitary" mastic - second attempt (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/602856-sanitary-mastic-second-attempt.html)

[email protected] January 3rd 18 08:12 PM

"Sanitary" mastic - second attempt

In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is tiled.. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the mastic?

Thanks,

Clive

John Rumm January 3rd 18 08:37 PM

On 03/01/2018 20:12, wrote:

In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls
of the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material
that is tiled. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall
and floor of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray)
causing a hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed
off the tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary"
sealant (what does that mean anyway?)

It means it contains a fungicide to attempt to prevent mould growth in
wet and humid environments.

that has good adhesion to stone
tiles? Should I prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in
any way apart from leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks?
Does dilute bleach cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a
hint of mould on the mastic?

Try one of the Modified Silane (MS) sealant / adhesive products. They
tend to have more adhesion to stone surfaces. They are a little
"stiffer" to work and shape, and are not quite as glossy once set.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

[email protected] January 3rd 18 09:11 PM

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 20:12:30 UTC, wrote:

In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is tiled. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the mastic?

Thanks,

Clive

Bleach doesn't affect silicone IME. I assume you're using silicone not acrylic.

Probably the most common cause of silicone failure is expecting it to stretch. It can only move a small percentage of it's own size, and that often comes out to well under 1mm in practical applications. Overstretch it as things move and it fails. Do degrease before applying it, muck is the other cause of failure.

The most common cause of acrylic failure is using it. Only optimists think it suitable for bathrooms.

NT

[email protected] January 3rd 18 11:47 PM

On 03/01/2018 20:12, wrote:
In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is tiled. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the mastic?

Thanks,

Clive

In a similar situation I used a plastic (ceramic lookalike) quadrant and
bedded it in silicone - it was still fine when I moved house 10+ years
later. I will be doing the same when I get around to the bathrooms in
the "new" house.

Dave Plowman (News) January 4th 18 11:23 AM

"Sanitary" mastic - second attempt

In article ,
wrote:
In a moment of madness I had "stone tiles" put on the floor and walls of
the bathroom.The shower tray is a pre-formed composite material that is
tiled. The mastic pealed around the junction between the wall and floor
of the shower (it's all covered in tiles, no plastic tray) causing a
hard to diagnose water leak. When pulled, the mastic pealed off the
tiles like opening a new zip. Is there a good "sanitary" sealant (what
does that mean anyway?) that has good adhesion to stone tiles? Should I
prep the area where I am going to reapply mastic in any way apart from
leaving it all to dry out for a couple of weeks? Does dilute bleach
cause mastic to fail which I use when there is a hint of mould on the
mastic?

The normal sealant to use here would be silicone. Anything which peels off
easily either is poor quality or not correctly applied. Since it is a form
of glue, surfaces have to be clean.

I'm assuming there is no obvious movement between the two?

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.