Bill DeWitt

Default Black Mastic?

I have taken up some old viinyl tiles which seem to have been put down with
some sort of black (asphalt?) mastic that disolves in paint thinner. Under
that is nice wooden floors. What is the best way to remove the mastic before
refinishing the floor? It's still tacky so scraping or sanding will not do.
I was thinking something similar to paint stripper where I put it on and
then come back later to wipe it all off.

TIA

Joseph Meehan

Bill DeWitt wrote:
I have taken up some old viinyl tiles which seem to have been put
down with some sort of black (asphalt?) mastic that disolves in paint
thinner. Under that is nice wooden floors. What is the best way to
remove the mastic before refinishing the floor? It's still tacky so
scraping or sanding will not do. I was thinking something similar to
paint stripper where I put it on and then come back later to wipe it
all off.

TIA

You can try the trick of using some dry ice and then scraping. Remember
to have ventilation as COČ is not poisonous, but it can replace the oxygen
in a small room. You place the dry ice on an area, and get it cold enough
to make the stuff brittle. Trial and error at finding the time needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Fred

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:24:24 -0400, "Bill DeWitt"
wrote:

I have taken up some old viinyl tiles which seem to have been put down with
some sort of black (asphalt?) mastic that disolves in paint thinner. Under
that is nice wooden floors. What is the best way to remove the mastic before
refinishing the floor? It's still tacky so scraping or sanding will not do.
I was thinking something similar to paint stripper where I put it on and
then come back later to wipe it all off.

Scraping or Sanding WILL do!

It ain't pretty or pleasant, but it will do.

PJ

pray4surf

"Bill DeWitt" wrote in message
:
:
: I have taken up some old viinyl tiles which seem to have been put down
with
: some sort of black (asphalt?) mastic that disolves in paint thinner. Under
: that is nice wooden floors. What is the best way to remove the mastic
before
: refinishing the floor? It's still tacky so scraping or sanding will not
do.
: I was thinking something similar to paint stripper where I put it on and
: then come back later to wipe it all off.
:
:
:

HD sells Jasco Adhesive Remover in their flooring dept. It works quite well
without the 'explosiveness' that paint thinner (or similar) may present.....

Brush it on, let it set for a few minutes, attack it with a 2" scraper and
scoop the remover and adhesive up, scrub with Comet/Ajax then sponge with
clear water....

I'd avoid sanding as this black mastic *may* contain asbestos. Which of
course is primarily hazardous if the fibers get airborne....

HTH

Rick

William W. Plummer

No wrote:

You say it disolves in paint thinner? That could be your answer.

Use the film covering clothes from the cleaners over the area with the
paint thinner to prevent evaporation while it is soaking in.
Frank J Warner

In article , Bill DeWitt
wrote:

I have taken up some old viinyl tiles which seem to have been put down with
some sort of black (asphalt?) mastic that disolves in paint thinner. Under
that is nice wooden floors. What is the best way to remove the mastic before
refinishing the floor? It's still tacky so scraping or sanding will not do.
I was thinking something similar to paint stripper where I put it on and
then come back later to wipe it all off.

TIA

Liquid Sandpaper takes the stuff up quite nicely. I just did this in a
kitchen remodel. Not wood floors, though. Concrete slab.

Open all the doors and windows and put a floor fan or two in the room.
Ventilate. Ventilate. Ventilate. Have lots of rags and empty coffee
cans available. Turn off any pilot lights, and of course, don't smoke.

Wear heavy, acid-resistant rubber gloves and expect to throw away your
clothing when you're done.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
Bill DeWitt

No mentioned in passing :

You say it disolves in paint thinner? That could be your answer.

Nope, because then the black will seep down into every little crack. I
found a gel that seemed to lift it up, but until I sand it tomorrow I am not
sure it will work.

Dave

Don't sand, this stuff likely contains asbestos fibers as a binder.
-Dave

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. Bob Woodworking 14 June 5th 04 09:22 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM