Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Case for drill bits

I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing is incredibly irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if anyone has come across such a thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 17:37, Murmansk wrote:
I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing is incredibly irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if anyone has come across such a thing?

Buy a better quality box of drills and use the present drills as
replacements when you break them.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/01/2018 18:22, Bill Wright wrote:
On 03/01/2018 17:37, Murmansk wrote:
I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm
and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two
rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and
then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism
doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing
is incredibly irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the
drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if
anyone has come across such a thing?

Buy a better quality box of drills and use the present drills as
replacements when you break them.

The £38 quid set I bought still had a wank case.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2018-01-03, Murmansk wrote:
I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing is incredibly irritating to use.

A Makita set, by any chance, because that's how I feel about mine? The drills
are excellent, the box crap.

Same for Bosch and Metabo

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 17:37, Murmansk wrote:
I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm
and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two
rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and
then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism
doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole
thing is incredibly irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the
drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if
anyone has come across such a thing?

Try searching for a "drill index" or "drill index box". That may get you
some more results.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah ha, fanstastic - thank you!!!

"Empty drill index box" produced a few results of which

https://www.drill-service.co.uk/Prod...0000&Tool=369#

looks the most promising

The one I have came from UKDrills on Ebay - the drills seem fine but the case is CRAP!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm and
they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two rows
of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and then fold
down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism doesn't
work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing is incredibly
irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the drills.
I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if anyone has
come across such a thing?

Jumping in a bit late, but......

I've never found those 'index box' sets of drills very useful. In
reality what I need is ten each of 4mm and 5mm plus one of each of the
others. Sometimes I need a different mix if I'm doing something
unusual.

Just having a box with only one 4mm drill (for example) guarantees
that you will either break or blunt the 4mm drill the first time you
use it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:37:28 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing is incredibly irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if anyone has come across such a thing?

Errrrrr......make one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Murmansk writes

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the
drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if
anyone has come across such a thing?

I have a set of Dormer drill bits, which came in a red tin case, and
that works well enough. Problem is, over time, we all acquire all sorts
and sizes of bits, and trying to keep them together, and in some sort of
logical order is never easy.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 9:34:18 PM UTC, Murmansk wrote:
Ah ha, fanstastic - thank you!!!

"Empty drill index box" produced a few results of which

https://www.drill-service.co.uk/Prod...0000&Tool=369#

looks the most promising

The one I have came from UKDrills on Ebay - the drills seem fine but the case is CRAP!!

That box looks suspiciously likw to poor one I got from Axminster. I got so frustrated with it I took it apart and re-assembled it. Works fine now. Mechanism depends on little bent metal tab ears which are poor. Fiddly to fix

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you need something like:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/170-piece...bit-set-110261

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

[...]

Drop it just once & you'll regret it. An old fashioned cloth tool roll, modified for the different lengths would do better.

It's not clear if the OP wants left on the shelf storage or a carry about with you set.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the
drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if
anyone has come across such a thing?

I have a set of Dormer drill bits, which came in a red tin case, and
that works well enough. Problem is, over time, we all acquire all sorts
and sizes of bits, and trying to keep them together, and in some sort of
logical order is never easy.

A couple of posts up reminded me, the best (as in most convenient and
useful) drill set I have is one in a cloth roll. There's space for
three or four each of the 'important' sizes like 4mm and 5mm and it
holds sizes up to 8mm while still being very compact.

--
Chris Green
·