Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , AlanC
wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR
floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only
comes in black or white?

Are they ? all the boxes I've ever bought have been either white or black.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

Alan

You could always paint the j boxes to match the conduit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

charles Wrote in message:
In article , AlanC
wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR
floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only
comes in black or white?

Are they ? all the boxes I've ever bought have been either white or black.

He means external jbs, do you?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interestingly, a friend of mine told be some time ago they use a lot of grey
boxes in France, maybe these are dodgy imports from somewhere though for the
life of me I cannot see what the heck the colour is matters to most people.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"charles" wrote in message
In article , AlanC
wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR
floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only
comes in black or white?

Are they ? all the boxes I've ever bought have been either white or black.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Am I missing something?

These are good, particularly for outdoor lighting.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 21:54, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Am I missing something?

These are good, particularly for outdoor lighting.

Oops, it would help to include the URL:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...xes/index.html

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

You can paint it all with gloss.

Regularly over the years...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AlanC writes:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

Use a BESA box (circular conduit box) in the same range as the conduit.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external
PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but
conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I
havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I
havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up
stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically
buying stuff for the job.

You can paint it all with gloss.

Yup. Clean new PVC paints very well with just oil based gloss - no primer.
Will outlast wood done at the same time.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 21:57:47 UTC, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/12/2017 21:54, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Am I missing something?

These are good, particularly for outdoor lighting.

Oops, it would help to include the URL:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...xes/index.html

--
Andy

That looks like it will do the job.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 22:50:24 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Use a BESA box (circular conduit box) in the same range as the conduit.

I'm not sure many plastic lids would seal to a BESA box even with a rubber whatsit. They could be solvent welded on though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external
PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but
conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I
havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I
havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up
stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically
buying stuff for the job.

You can paint it all with gloss.

Yup. Clean new PVC paints very well with just oil based gloss - no primer.
Will outlast wood done at the same time.

So how many people do you know that nip out and gloss paint their UPVC
windows as soon as the installers have gone home?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
You can paint it all with gloss.

Yup. Clean new PVC paints very well with just oil based gloss - no
primer. Will outlast wood done at the same time.

So how many people do you know that nip out and gloss paint their UPVC
windows as soon as the installers have gone home?

I assume they buy their new windows in the colour they choose. ;-)

PVC pipes and trunking may be take what you get.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

utlast wood done at the same time.

So how many people do you know that nip out and gloss paint their UPVC
windows as soon as the installers have gone home?

I have a friend whose daughter wiped down her 14 day old brown uPVC
windows with cellulose thinners because they were a bit dusty and
several years later still look awful!

Peter

---
http://www.avg.com