Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using single colour cable in conduit

Just want to check i'm reading things correctly.....

extending the ring mains in the garage, i want to put all the sockets cables
in conduit to make it look better, and whilst i'm at it, replace the old T&E
cables with singles in conduit for the lights, as they run zigzagging thru
the roof joists, and have been used by the last owner to hang things from.

Singles cable is sold in 100 meter reels only it seems, i roughly worked out
i'd have a 25 meter run for the sockets, and 10 meters for the lights, and
to do it in blue, brown and green/yellow, i'd have to buy 300 meters of
wire, (500 if i bought 2.5 for the sockets, and 1.5 for the lights)

I've read that you can use a single colour and sleeve it at each
end/termination point, and label the CU to warn of this, and that you can
use any colour wire you want except green/yellow, which must only be used
for the CPD,

But you can use another colour for the CPD as long as it's sleeved
appropriately,

is that correct?

i.e. if i buy a reel of 2.5mm grey singles wire, and some blue, brown and
green and yellow sleeve, that'd be ok, as a single reel would cover all the
wires i need,
at every inspection point in the conduit i'd sleeve the wires just to make
tracing them easier if needed one day, as well as at every
junction/termination of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2011 06:30, Gazz wrote:
Just want to check i'm reading things correctly.....

extending the ring mains in the garage, i want to put all the sockets
cables in conduit to make it look better, and whilst i'm at it, replace
the old T&E cables with singles in conduit for the lights, as they run
zigzagging thru the roof joists, and have been used by the last owner to
hang things from.

Singles cable is sold in 100 meter reels only it seems,

These people sell it by the met

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/home

i roughly worked
out i'd have a 25 meter run for the sockets, and 10 meters for the
lights, and to do it in blue, brown and green/yellow, i'd have to buy
300 meters of wire, (500 if i bought 2.5 for the sockets, and 1.5 for
the lights)

Murphy's Law applies to calculations about cable runs. If you work out
how much you need, you will always find that you need more when you do
the runs. That is not a problem with 100m reels, but might be if you buy
by the metre.

BTW, cable and wire attract the largest discounts with a trade account
from an electrical wholesaler - I get 65% off list.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar wrote:

Singles cable is sold in 100 meter reels only it seems,

These people sell it by the met

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/home

Excelent, shame they are no where near me (nottingham) so i'd have to have
it posted,

i roughly worked
out i'd have a 25 meter run for the sockets, and 10 meters for the
lights, and to do it in blue, brown and green/yellow, i'd have to buy
300 meters of wire, (500 if i bought 2.5 for the sockets, and 1.5 for
the lights)

Murphy's Law applies to calculations about cable runs. If you work out how
much you need, you will always find that you need more when you do the
runs. That is not a problem with 100m reels, but might be if you buy by
the metre.

BTW, cable and wire attract the largest discounts with a trade account
from an electrical wholesaler - I get 65% off list.

Aye, i'm thinking a 100 meter roll of a single colour and sleeves would be
better for me,
unfortunately i dont have a trade account, or know someone near me with one,
seems to be around £22 or so for a reel of grey singles in 2.5mm, would be
nice to get it at £14, and prolly get a dicount on the conduit and all the
little bits needed for that which add up to more than you imagine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:50:17 -0000, Gazz wrote:

BTW, cable and wire attract the largest discounts with a trade

account
from an electrical wholesaler - I get 65% off list.

Aye, i'm thinking a 100 meter roll of a single colour and sleeves would
be better for me, unfortunately i dont have a trade account,

I don't have a trade account but get very good prices for cash/credit
card purchases from the local CEF depot. I should imagine all but the
most snooty wholesalers will, a sale is a sale...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2011 16:50, Gazz wrote:
Aye, i'm thinking a 100 meter roll of a single colour and sleeves would
be better for me,
unfortunately i dont have a trade account, or know someone near me with
one,
seems to be around £22 or so for a reel of grey singles in 2.5mm, would
be nice to get it at £14, and prolly get a dicount on the conduit and
all the little bits needed for that which add up to more than you imagine.

I've never found it difficult to get a trade discount at wholesalers. If
you are happy to pay by card, rather than wanting a credit account, it
can be as simple as asking for it. Buying items like conduit and conduit
wire, which are not normally DIY items, helps convince them too.

Colin Bignell