Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Residential use of pvc conduit: wire colour, stranded vs solid thhn,other questions...

Hi,

I'll be needing to wire a garage/workshop for lights and power, and I
plan to do it all surface-mount since the walls are concrete block and
even the ceiling is partly concrete slab and partly fire-rated
drywall, which I don't want to cut into. So I'm thinking that running
separate wires in pvc conduit is the way to go, partly for protection
from damage and partly because I'll want to run several circuits and
switchloops together, which would otherwise require multiple cables.
(14/4 and 14/2/2 don't exist here.) The conduit ought to provide a
good clean-looking long-lasting installation.

I haven't worked with conduit before and the usual d-i-y wiring books
are pretty scant on conduit.

I do understand the ampacity de-rating tables for multiple conductors
sharing a conduit, and that the conduit and boxes need to be installed
prior to pulling wires.

My current questions a

- Is it code-compliant, and the usual practice, to pull *stranded*
wire in conduit? or is solid conductor the way to go?
- Are there special rules or restrictions on the use of stranded? Like
do switches and outlets and breaker panels need to be specially
endorsed for stranded?
- For residential use, is it ok to use grey, or white-striped-with-a-
colour, as neutral, where there are multiple circuits in one conduit?
- Is it ok to use one ground conductor shared by all the circuits
within the conduit?
- Can the ground conductor be a gauge smaller than the load
conductors? This seems to be the case in romex cable.
- Should the ground conductor be bare? or green insulated?
- What else will I wish I'd known before I started?

Info on Canadian code would be great but references to US NEC and
general best-practices are very welcome.

Thanks,

Chip C
Toronto