DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/602493-colour-external-juntion-boxes-conduit.html)

AlanC December 28th 17 06:03 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

Alan

charles December 28th 17 06:08 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

In article , AlanC
wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR
floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only
comes in black or white?

Are they ? all the boxes I've ever bought have been either white or black.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Ash Burton[_2_] December 28th 17 06:43 PM

On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

Alan

You could always paint the j boxes to match the conduit.

Jim December 28th 17 07:01 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

charles Wrote in message:
In article , AlanC
wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR
floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only
comes in black or white?

Are they ? all the boxes I've ever bought have been either white or black.

He means external jbs, do you?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian Gaff December 28th 17 07:49 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

I guess you cold always paint it though.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Brian Gaff December 28th 17 07:51 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

Interestingly, a friend of mine told be some time ago they use a lot of grey
boxes in France, maybe these are dodgy imports from somewhere though for the
life of me I cannot see what the heck the colour is matters to most people.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Andy Wade December 28th 17 09:54 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Am I missing something?

These are good, particularly for outdoor lighting.

--
Andy

Andy Wade December 28th 17 09:57 PM

On 28/12/2017 21:54, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Am I missing something?

These are good, particularly for outdoor lighting.

Oops, it would help to include the URL:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...xes/index.html

--
Andy

Jim December 28th 17 10:41 PM

On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

You can paint it all with gloss.

Regularly over the years...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Andrew Gabriel December 28th 17 10:50 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

In article ,
AlanC writes:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically buying stuff for the job.

Use a BESA box (circular conduit box) in the same range as the conduit.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News) December 29th 17 01:51 PM

On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external
PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but
conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I
havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I
havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up
stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically
buying stuff for the job.

You can paint it all with gloss.

Yup. Clean new PVC paints very well with just oil based gloss - no primer.
Will outlast wood done at the same time.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

AlanC December 29th 17 02:00 PM

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 21:57:47 UTC, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/12/2017 21:54, Andy Wade wrote:
On 28/12/2017 18:03, AlanC wrote:

Am I missing something?

These are good, particularly for outdoor lighting.

Oops, it would help to include the URL:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufac...xes/index.html

--
Andy

That looks like it will do the job.

Thanks

[email protected] December 29th 17 02:10 PM

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 22:50:24 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Use a BESA box (circular conduit box) in the same range as the conduit.

I'm not sure many plastic lids would seal to a BESA box even with a rubber whatsit. They could be solvent welded on though.

Owain

ARW[_2_] December 29th 17 04:12 PM

On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external
PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but
conduit only comes in black or white?

I was thinking that black would be less obvious than white, but I
havent seen any black junction boxes. Grey wouldnt be too bad but I
havent seen any grey conduit.

Am I missing something?

I think having different colours would just look like I was using up
stuff that I had laying around in the shed rather than specifically
buying stuff for the job.

You can paint it all with gloss.

Yup. Clean new PVC paints very well with just oil based gloss - no primer.
Will outlast wood done at the same time.

So how many people do you know that nip out and gloss paint their UPVC
windows as soon as the installers have gone home?

--
Adam

Dave Plowman (News) December 29th 17 05:16 PM

ARW wrote:
You can paint it all with gloss.

Yup. Clean new PVC paints very well with just oil based gloss - no
primer. Will outlast wood done at the same time.

So how many people do you know that nip out and gloss paint their UPVC
windows as soon as the installers have gone home?

I assume they buy their new windows in the colour they choose. ;-)

PVC pipes and trunking may be take what you get.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Peter Andrews[_3_] December 29th 17 06:05 PM

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit

In article ,
On 2017-12-28, AlanC wrote:

utlast wood done at the same time.

So how many people do you know that nip out and gloss paint their UPVC
windows as soon as the installers have gone home?

I have a friend whose daughter wiped down her 14 day old brown uPVC
windows with cellulose thinners because they were a bit dusty and
several years later still look awful!

Peter

---
http://www.avg.com

Andrew Gabriel December 30th 17 10:33 PM

writes:
On Thursday, 28 December 2017 22:50:24 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Use a BESA box (circular conduit box) in the same range as the conduit.

I'm not sure many plastic lids would seal to a BESA box even with a rubber whatsit. They could be solvent welded on though.

Must admit, I've only used metal BESA boxes outside.
They do seem to seal OK, even though the lid screw holes
and base earthing screw are not really sealed.

More recent ones have thin sheet steel lids which bend
quite easily so harder to get pressure all around than
with the older cast iron lids, but so far, even those
are staying dry inside.

If you do use metal BESA boxes outside, make sure you
use the galvanised ones, and not the black enamelled
ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel