Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Non Linear Halfords Concentrated Screen Wash

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:17:07 +0000, Vortex13
wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

A google for "methanol water mixture freezing point" shows that the
freezing point vs concentration graph is non-linear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

I would have thought that methylated spirit is cheaper (ethanol with
around 7.5% methanol). (I used to add meths to my washer bottle, which
coloured the plastic purple.)

A google for "methanol water mixture freezing point" shows that the
freezing point vs concentration graph is non-linear.

So is ethanol.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 12:17, Vortex13 wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protectionÂ* to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

The thing is it does not work!. Get a minus 4 night and at 50% dilution
it will have frozen.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 13:17, ARW wrote:
On 22/12/2017 12:17, Vortex13 wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protectionÂ* to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

The thing is it does not work!. Get a minus 4 night and at 50% dilution
it will have frozen.

So true. That's why I add meth to mine.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

I would have thought that methylated spirit is cheaper (ethanol with
around 7.5% methanol). (I used to add meths to my washer bottle, which
coloured the plastic purple.)

I think methanol is the cheapest at the industrial level, but I might
be wrong.

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brine.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Vortex13" wrote in message

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you look at mars, There has been running water on the planet recently
even though the temp is low and the air pressure low and one would expect it
either to evaporate or freeze, its only because its salty or mixed with
minerals that it is still fluid long enough to flow.

Water is quite interesting at the molecular level, expanding when cold and
when hot, it can also pack itself in ways that allow gasses to exist
between the molecules without being absorbed.
Brian

--
----- -

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

A google for "methanol water mixture freezing point" shows that the
freezing point vs concentration graph is non-linear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 14:06, Muddymike wrote:
On 22/12/2017 13:17, ARW wrote:
On 22/12/2017 12:17, Vortex13 wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protectionÂ* to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

The thing is it does not work!. Get a minus 4 night and at 50%
dilution it will have frozen.

So true. That's why I add meth to mine.

But it's not just screen wash is it?

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
If you look at mars, There has been running water on the planet recently
even though the temp is low and the air pressure low and one would expect it
either to evaporate or freeze, its only because its salty or mixed with
minerals that it is still fluid long enough to flow.

Water is quite interesting at the molecular level, expanding when cold and
when hot, it can also pack itself in ways that allow gasses to exist
between the molecules without being absorbed.
Brian

+1

It has always stuck in my mind what I was taught at school in the 60s
which was without the weak hydrogen bonding of water into a molecule (I
think with 18.H2O), water would be a gas at room temperature and we
would not exist being mainly composed of water.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Vortex13 wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protectionÂ* to -20C
50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

The thing is it does not work!. Get a minus 4 night and at 50% dilution
it will have frozen.

Get the VW stuff (rectangular bottle part number G052164M1 they do
another round bottle, not as good).

Claims -70°C at 100% and -16°C at 33%, I probably use 10% and never had
it freeze, was -8°C the other week, also it's not the gloopy PEG type.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

A google for "methanol water mixture freezing point" shows that the
freezing point vs concentration graph is non-linear.

Isopropyl I would think. But could be ethanol/methanol

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 13:17, ARW wrote:
On 22/12/2017 12:17, Vortex13 wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protectionÂ* to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

The thing is it does not work!. Get a minus 4 night and at 50%
dilution it will have frozen.

So true. That's why I add meth to mine.

But it's not just screen wash is it?

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

windchill makes the alcohol screenwash useless at speed. I remember
driving up N German Autobahn at subzero withh freezing fog icing up the
aerial, and the screenwash simply stopped working till the Defeneder
stopped moving. Then it froze as soon as I started again.

I generally use it neat as well

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 12:17, Vortex13 wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

How does what work?

Are you expecting 50% dilution to be -10C? Why?

Is 20C twice as hot as 10C?
Is 40C twice as hot as 20C?
Of course not.

You should use the Kelvin scale for comparisons, 253K for -20C and
265.5K for -7.5C to get a true comparision of concentration required v
temperature.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/12/2017 14:39, Bob Minchin wrote:

It has always stuck in my mind what I was taught at school in the 60s
which was without the weak hydrogen bonding of water into a molecule (I
think with 18.H2O), water would be a gas at room temperature and we
would not exist being mainly composed of water.

I hope it doesn't forget to do that. I wouldn't want to explode suddenly.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 22/12/2017 14:39, Bob Minchin wrote:

It has always stuck in my mind what I was taught at school in the 60s
which was without the weak hydrogen bonding of water into a molecule
(I think with 18.H2O), water would be a gas at room temperature and we
would not exist being mainly composed of water.

I hope it doesn't forget to do that. I wouldn't want to explode suddenly.

Bob

Yes that is sort of the point. A so-called 'weak force' is utterly
critical to our whole civilisation.
Beats Trump LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex13 wrote

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

Thats what if freezes at undiluted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

If you look at mars, There has been running water on the planet recently

Fraid not
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2...hirise/9157880

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

A google for "methanol water mixture freezing point" shows that the
freezing point vs concentration graph is non-linear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

I would have thought that methylated spirit is cheaper (ethanol with
around 7.5% methanol). (I used to add meths to my washer bottle, which
coloured the plastic purple.)

I think methanol is the cheapest at the industrial level, but I might
be wrong.

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

That's only in the purple "domestic" stuff, proper "Industrial Meths"
doesn't have it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/12/17 14:34, ARW wrote:

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

During the recent cold spell I spayed de-icer on the windscreen, which
promptly froze making things worse. I wasn't below -2C.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

I would have thought that methylated spirit is cheaper (ethanol with
around 7.5% methanol). (I used to add meths to my washer bottle, which
coloured the plastic purple.)

I think methanol is the cheapest at the industrial level, but I might be
wrong.

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

I've used it for about 40 years, and I've never had problems. I quite
like the smell...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 21:01, DJC wrote:
On 22/12/17 14:34, ARW wrote:

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

During the recent cold spell I spayed de-icer on the windscreen, which
promptly froze making things worse. I wasn't below -2C.

That isn't surprising.
You melt the ice and that takes heat to do so.
That mostly comes from the glass so it gets colder and any remaining
water/fluid will freeze. If there is a lot of ice it will get so cold
the insides will condense and freeze.

Its simple physics and its the reason I don't have any de-icer but I do
have a scraper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 14:09:10 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

I've used it for about 40 years, and I've never had problems. I quite
like the smell...

Ditto. That 'Mamod' smell :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 22:32:16 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 14:09:10 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

I've used it for about 40 years, and I've never had problems. I quite
like the smell...

Ditto. That 'Mamod' smell :-)

Well, yes. And I have one of those too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 22:32:16 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 14:09:10 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

I wouldn't use meths myself, as I don't like the pyridine smell, and I
suspect that it would rot the windscreen wiper blades.

I've used it for about 40 years, and I've never had problems. I quite
like the smell...

Ditto. That 'Mamod' smell :-)

Castrol R ?

Well, yes. And I have one of those too.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

Ditto. That 'Mamod' smell :-)

Well, yes. And I have one of those too.

I'll see your Mamod and raise you a Bowman loco.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Used undiluted it claims protection to -20C

50% dilution claims protection to -7.5C

How does that work then?

It's probably a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol is probably
methanol, as that's the cheapest alcohol available.

A google for "methanol water mixture freezing point" shows that the
freezing point vs concentration graph is non-linear.

That's interesting.

As it happens I have filled with about 50% and I am sure that should
cover all likely scenarios in southern UK.

I want to Halfords out of necessity rather than choice. a "bonus"
feature of this stuff is that has a citrus stink. Will never buy it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Dec 2017 09:37:56 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 08:22:02 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes

Ditto. That 'Mamod' smell :-)

Well, yes. And I have one of those too.

I'll see your Mamod and raise you a Bowman loco.

Would be nice...

My " Uncle " Peter who was really my Godfather had the freight set
illustrated here
http://www.bowmancircle.co.uk/attach...e/cat%2013.jpg

Unfortunately my "Auntie" was one of those women who exhibited OCD
about how clean a house should be so after their marriage the set was
never fired up again. Their own son who was about 8 years older then
me was allowed to play with it in push along mode very occasionally
such as when we visited but a request to steam it was always denied.
Circa 1969 their son married and left home. Shortly after my
godparents came to stay for a short holiday and Auntie was quite
pleased to describe she had cleared out their sons things so she could
have sewing room.
I asked about he steam set and was told she had put out it with the
rubbish, the one saving grace was that the Dustman actually knocked on
the door and asked if there had been a mistake and if not could he
personally take it which he did .
I was pretty miffed at the time that she hadn't offered it to me but
although I didn't the know of the word then I certainly felt
schadenfreude as in a nearby town an antique shop had opened which had
a section specialising in models.
The look on Aunties face when she saw the prices being asked was a
picture, even in 69 I think it was north of £80 and possibly more.

ironically the rise of the www and ease of finding things in
salerooms and auction sites added to older generations dying and their
descendants finally realising that modern children will never be
interested or have room for their forebears collections and putting
them into circulation again has resulted in such models becoming
available for a lot less in value terms now if you really want one.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Dec 2017 11:27:29 GMT, Huge wrote:

I wonder what happened to my Mamod traction engine?

Perhaps it is the one I got given, mine leaks so much steam from the
cylinder it will steam up and run the flywheel free running but not
enough oomph to propel the wheel.

I see most of the spare parts are still available if I ever get bored.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 22:20, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/12/2017 21:01, DJC wrote:
On 22/12/17 14:34, ARW wrote:

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

During the recent cold spell I spayed de-icer on the windscreen, which
promptly froze making things worse. I wasn't below -2C.

That isn't surprising.
You melt the ice and that takes heat to do so.
That mostly comes from the glass so it gets colder and any remaining
water/fluid will freeze. If there is a lot of ice it will get so cold
the insides will condense and freeze.

Its simple physics and its the reason I don't have any de-icer but I do
have a scraper.

So why does it say "works at minus 15 deg" on the tin?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 22/12/2017 21:01, DJC wrote:
On 22/12/17 14:34, ARW wrote:

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

During the recent cold spell I spayed de-icer on the windscreen, which
promptly froze making things worse. I wasn't below -2C.

That isn't surprising.
You melt the ice and that takes heat to do so.
That mostly comes from the glass so it gets colder and any remaining
water/fluid will freeze. If there is a lot of ice it will get so cold the
insides will condense and freeze.

Its simple physics and its the reason I don't have any de-icer but I do
have a scraper.

So why does it say "works at minus 15 deg" on the tin?

To get physics eejuts like you to buy some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2017 21:01, DJC wrote:
On 22/12/17 14:34, ARW wrote:

De-icer these days only seems to work when it's above minus 1 deg
regardless of what it says on the tin.

During the recent cold spell I spayed de-icer on the windscreen, which
promptly froze making things worse. I wasn't below -2C.

That isn't surprising.
You melt the ice and that takes heat to do so.
That mostly comes from the glass so it gets colder and any remaining
water/fluid will freeze. If there is a lot of ice it will get so cold
the insides will condense and freeze.

Its simple physics and its the reason I don't have any de-icer but I do
have a scraper.

So why does it say "works at minus 15 deg" on the tin?

Indeed, we've never come across products that fail to do what they claim have we, or only do so in a very specific set of circumstances, usually ones you're unlikely to encounter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 08:22:02 +0000, Graeme wrote:

I'll see your Mamod and raise you a Bowman loco.

Would be nice...

Live steam is really just a branch of my toy trains, but does include
one Bowman loco, a Mamod traction engine and two stationary engines, one
Bowman and one Mamod for Meccano. They all run, and there is nothing
else like that smell of burning meths and warm oil.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 18:30:27 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

I'll see your Mamod and raise you a Bowman loco.

Would be nice...

Live steam is really just a branch of my toy trains, but does include
one Bowman loco, a Mamod traction engine and two stationary engines, one
Bowman and one Mamod for Meccano. They all run, and there is nothing
else like that smell of burning meths and warm oil.

You missed out singed carpet. very quickly found the traction
engines propensity to bounce the spirit burner out and after that was
banished to the concrete yard outside.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 18:37:20 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

ironically the rise of the www and ease of finding things in
salerooms and auction sites

snip
has resulted in such models becoming
available for a lot less in value terms now if you really want one.

Agreed. Finding items now is far easier than it was even 10-15 years
ago.

I haven't been tempted too much with one exception
I did hanker when I was small for a model tube train and was told by
the man in the shop that EVER READY made one . He also said it wasn't
very good and was only made so they could sell lots of batteries.
My parents received this news with enthusiasm though in reality if
had said it ran like a Swiss watch there was no chance they would have
got one.
I got one a few years back and the man in the shop was right,
It's very basic.

details for the curious here
http://www.metromodels.net/eveready_train2.pdf

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 22:32:16 +0000
Graeme wrote:

Ditto. That 'Mamod' smell :-)

Don't forget the burned skin smell, from that invisible flame.