Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 240v AC to 4v AC plug adapter

On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:54:50 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

It's basically just a transformer but to use one you would need to do
some wiring and put it in a suitable box etc.

4V is a bit of a funny one and the nearest I can find is:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2x45v-6va...nsformer-a76qj

You can actually get 'empty' wall wart boxes that you could put said
transformer in for yourself ...

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:54:50 +0000, F wrote:

On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

I should have looked at the picture more closely! I've looked and can't
see nything obvious - 4 volts AC at no more then 0.5A or so seems hard to
find.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2x45v-6va...s-transformer-

a76qj

You can actually get 'empty' wall wart boxes that you could put said
transformer in for yourself ...

I found:

CPC TF01368 for the transformer

They also do wall wart boxes (I've used them to replace damaged ones),
although I can't find them right now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:54:50 +0000, F wrote:

On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

I should have looked at the picture more closely! I've looked and can't
see nything obvious - 4 volts AC at no more then 0.5A or so seems hard to
find.

You might find the lights work fine on DC, in which case a 4.5VDC
supply would work. Test it with 3 battery cells.

I have a few things that came with low voltage AC wall warts,
but DC ones work fine. This may not always be the case though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2017 11:54, F wrote:
On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

Try it on 4.5v of batteries with a silicon diode in series (and a 500R
series resistor if you want oo be cautious).

My instinct is that the first thing the thing does is rectify the AC to
DC before it reaches the LEDs. Although 4v is low enough that most LEDs
can tolerate that much reverse voltage.

LEDs that change colour autonmously have been around for a while.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 13:36:05 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/12/2017 11:54, F wrote:
On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

Try it on 4.5v of batteries with a silicon diode in series (and a 500R
series resistor if you want oo be cautious).

That might prove difficult as I've tried to explain to a lecturer who was suprised I didn't keep 50 ohm resistors as a main stock item.

Resistors usually come in the E series so look for 470 ohms rather than 500, not that it'll make much differnce, but I'd try 330 and 220 at least.
I think 470 might be to high as that would only allow about 11ma for a typical single LED.

My instinct is that the first thing the thing does is rectify the AC to
DC before it reaches the LEDs.

It might not it may just use the +ve cycle to run the LED's as that's a cheap way of doing it.

Although 4v is low enough that most LEDs
can tolerate that much reverse voltage.

But if teh foward voltage is high that'll mean more current will flow and that is more likely to damaged the LEDs with over heating especially if run from DC at 100% duty cycle.

LEDs that change colour autonmously have been around for a while.

Not really the LEDs don'y do this by themselves they have an inbiuld chip that does this for them.
I've used these and then run on 5V DC they will probbaly work on 4V DC
but haven't tried them.

https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-...ar-5mm-55-1904

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2017 12:29, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Some bell transformers do 4v AC but they probably cost more than some
new lights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:54:50 +0000, F wrote:

On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

I should have looked at the picture more closely! I've looked and can't
see nything obvious - 4 volts AC at no more then 0.5A or so seems hard to
find.

One way to get that is to use one of the common multi tap transformers and
use a couple of taps, and not the normal 0 tap. Say use the 6V and 10V tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2017 11:54, F wrote:
On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for
one of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs
three sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and
individually, change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC
and not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart.
Anyone?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenbrook-...0II/ref=sr_1_2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The thing is as on that other thread, why is it AC?
Unless its using the mains for timing, then surely a dc supply will still
work.

I'm sure one could be made fairly simply from a normal small mains
transformer of the right type.

When dealing with AC though, you need to be careful to see what the load is
and what the actual peak to peak levels are not just the mean as measured
with a meter.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
news
On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I asked
if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of
these:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and not
4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2017 12:40, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:54:50 +0000, F wrote:

On another thread (currently into a discussion on sound and phase) I
asked if anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one
of these: https://www.flickr.com/gp/161457453@N02/iv5D72. It runs three
sticks of 12 LED Christmas lights which gradually, and individually,
change colour.

I've taken it to pieces now and it turns out it's 240v AC to 4v AC and
not 4v DC. So, I'm still looking for a replacement wall wart. Anyone?

I should have looked at the picture more closely! I've looked and can't
see nything obvious - 4 volts AC at no more then 0.5A or so seems hard to
find.

You might find the lights work fine on DC, in which case a 4.5VDC
supply would work

And they do! I bought the 4.5v AC to DC adapter from CPC: PW02731 from
the 'other' thread before I discovered the original failed unit was AC
to AC and so I plugged the lights into it on the 4.5v setting (they
wouldn't run at 3v).

Polarity doesn't appear to matter, and they're running a little brighter
than they did, the colours are less varied at any one time, but they work.

On that basis, is there anything to look out for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager writes:
[...]

Correct. If it's AC then the 'polarity' is changing 50 times a second.
;-)

and they're running a little brighter
than they did,

4.5 instead of 4V?

the colours are less varied at any one time, but they work.

Hmmm ... ?

On that basis, is there anything to look out for?

Just that they could be being overdriven slightly so ('a little
brighter' ) so they may not last as long?

Because you are running AC there isn't much that you could do easily
to lower the output voltage to 4V (AC), especially if the load varies
a lot (no lights on, all lights on etc).

You could try a series resistor (as mentioned elsewhere) but that
would really only affect the 'lights all on' condition.

You might be able to 'clamp' the voltage with a pair of back to back
(3.4V?) zener diodes (to clamp the peak voltage(s)), with reverse
biased rectifier diodes in series (to stop the zener conducting on the
forward biased half cycle) and a series resistor between transformer
and diodes (to limit the current) but you will need a real electronics
design engineer to help you on that one. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager writes:
[...]

It's not hard to drop the half volt but if it works ok, great, don't worry.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager writes:
[...]

Thanks, but I'm running them from the AV to DC adapter that I bought so
they're on 4.5v DC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 00:19:29 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

snip
Because you are running AC there isn't much that you could do easily
to lower the output voltage to 4V (AC), especially if the load varies
a lot (no lights on, all lights on etc).

Thanks, but I'm running them from the AV to DC adapter that I bought so
they're on 4.5v DC.

Ah, sorry, my bad (it's late I'm tired ... ). ;-)

Ok, so it would be even easier to drop the voltage a bit so that you
don't see the extra brightness / less change in colour and may even
prevent them from dying early.

Basically, if you were to fit a silicone rectifier diode in series
with one of the leads to the lights, it will drop about .6V and may
make it more like it was originally?

4.5V is 25% higher than it was designed to run and that can be quite a
bit where LEDs that may already be driven reasonably hard are
concerned.

If the original adaptor was only 1VA then at 4V that is only about
250mA so a 1A diode should be ok (even at the price you could wire a
couple in parallel)?

https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/ds28002.pdf

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/1n4001s-1...ectifier-ql73q

If the (DIN was it) plug is re-wireable you could even put the
diode(s) in there?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Dec 2017 09:37:35 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

LOL ... I did say I was tired didn't I Bob. ;-(

Ok, how about a 12.5% increase? (which is still 'quite a bit' where
LEDs are concerned). ;-)

Cheers, T i m