Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Snow blades on ride-on mowers - do they work?

We've had a lot of snow so I'm wondering whether it's worth buying or
making a snow blade (and getting some chains or snow tyres) for the
ride-on mower. Has anyone here tried clearing snow with a mower?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

John Deere do a snow-blower for my ride-on.
It's significant that they don't sell it in the UK.

TFFT, when it's snowy it makes everywhere generally quieter, imagine if
we had the din of snowblowers instead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:34:03 +0000, nothanks wrote:

We've had a lot of snow so I'm wondering whether it's worth buying or
making a snow blade (and getting some chains or snow tyres) for the
ride-on mower. Has anyone here tried clearing snow with a mower?

I wouldn't try making one (its very difficult to to get the correct
angles for proper clearance) but you can buy them. Frankly I don't think
they are worth the money as we seldom get the volume of snow to justify
them.

The local ag mechanic has adapted a powered walk behind lawn mower by
attaching a snow blade to it. It *sort of* works but took him ages to
build. He wanted to try it out with a view to producing some for sale
but decided it wasn't worthwhile.

Have you tried using a leaf blower to clear the snow? It works well on
fresh and or powdery snow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit counter intuitive to me.
Our snow in the UK is normally very wet and sticky, and the usual effect is
a gummed up mower.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
We've had a lot of snow so I'm wondering whether it's worth buying or
making a snow blade (and getting some chains or snow tyres) for the
ride-on mower. Has anyone here tried clearing snow with a mower?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 5:34:07 PM UTC, wrote:
We've had a lot of snow so I'm wondering whether it's worth buying or
making a snow blade (and getting some chains or snow tyres) for the
ride-on mower. Has anyone here tried clearing snow with a mower?

We once had a Westwood ride on mower. I bought lots of attachments for it. Snow blade. Electric spray with tow behind fluid container, fertilizer spreader. All were completely useless. The snow blade just rode uo over the accumulated snow. The electric sprayer, I could pee better. The fertilizer spreade just dumped all the fertilizer in the first few yards.

But they were good mowers.