Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Wetherspoons phasing out steaks

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 13:29:33 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 10/12/2017 13:22, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:50:13 +0000, ARW wrote:

It's now going to be pizzas they sell.

Better profit margin.

They're phasing out cocktails as well. A friend of mine ordered a
'slippery nipple' on Friday evening and was given the Baileys and the
Sambuca in separate glasses. They're not allowed to mix such drinks
any more, for some reason! I wonder what they'd say nowadays if
someone ordered a 'snakebite'.

Probably some snowflake found the name offensive....

When I asked there were always two excuses, people get really drunk on
those and cause fights so we don't serve them, or it's a cocktail and we
don't have a license for cocktails. Cocktails are defined as two or more
mixed alcoholic drinks.

There is no such thing as a licence for selling cocktails. The Licence is
to serve alcohol. It's obviously a management decision, but put the blame
on to someone else. Usually it's the HSE who get the blame.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 December 2017 13:37:37 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Not sure if the HSE can do that sort of thing in pubs, but the landlord does have the right to serve of not to serve and this pub was very close to a police station in chingford, but they agreed to sell me what I wanted in two seperate glasses so a few rounds and a few weeks later they gave in when they realised that I wasn't the one likely to cause problems but the kids on stella were.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 December 2017 12:31:21 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
When I asked there were always two excuses, people get really
drunk on those and cause fights so we don't serve them, or
it's a cocktail and we don't have a license for cocktails.
Cocktails are defined as two or more mixed alcoholic drinks.

I have been refused a quintuple measure of single malt whisky. The barman said he couldn't sell more than a double in one glass.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 9:03:09 AM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 21:47:34 UTC, Halmyre wrote:
The Caley Picture House in Edinburgh is a JDW

The Caley Hotel, on the other hand, is not

No; it's a Waldorf Astoria
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 December 2017 16:22:16 UTC, Halmyre wrote:
No; it's a Waldorf Astoria

Hopefully with fresh waldorfs available 24 hours a day

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 December 2017 20:23:24 UTC, ARW wrote:
Fresh.

The pizza dough arrives at the pub frozen. Mind you it was frozen whilst
it was still fresh and it is "freshly baked" once it has been defrosted
and hand stretched!

Just like Pizza Express then.

That's legally "fresh".

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 06:03:32 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

I have been refused a quintuple measure of single malt whisky. The
barman said he couldn't sell more than a double in one glass.

Ridiculous. A single measure in this country is so tiny it's a waste of
time ordering anything less than "four fingers" as we used to be able to
call it before the EU banned everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2017 20:23, ARW wrote:

The pizza dough arrives at the pub frozen. Mind you it was frozen whilst
it was still fresh and it is "freshly baked" once it has been defrosted
and hand stretched!

It'll be better cooked from frozen - no thawing and stretching.