Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Kitchen lights

We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally
we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what
ideally we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

I've used recessed Enlite LED fittings from CPC. Said to be dimmable but
we'll see. Range of Wattages.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/12/2017 19:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , GB
writes
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what
ideally we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

I've used recessed Enlite LED fittings from CPC. Said to be dimmable but
we'll see. Range of Wattages.

LED panels fitted flush to the ceiling 4 x 12 watt but mine are not
dimmable but light output is bright, this for 24 foot long kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally
we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.

Which means a large area of lights - like your tubes - or it bounced off a
white ceiling, etc.

2. Dimmable.

Any domestic lighting can be dimmed. Even fluorescents. Suitable LEDS with
suitable dimmers too.

3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.

That one is going to be more difficult. Unless you actually just mean to
change the colour.

4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

A problem in that lights which look good may not give the sort of working
light you need.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 00:32:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
[...]

Really they're not difficult to achieve. Over counter lighting plus uplighting onto the ceiling. You can use dimmers or switchbank, the latter are better. A mix of cool white or daylight plus warm white on a switchbank can give you almost any mix of colour and brightness you like.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to GB, Iggy wrote:
For those requirements, I'd think your best bet would be an up-light
arrangement (
http://www.diy.com/departments/reya-.../257713_BQ.prd
). This, will give you a Northern Light effect and make shadows much less
harsh while still accepting dimmable LED's or CFL's.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1255355-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

What is actually wrong with the lights?

If you can repair them them they should not give shadows and the right
colour temp tubes can be appealing. However one could also fit some other
more moody lights

Is that lights that only work when they feel like it ?

elsewhere when you want the more intimate look.

Is that like a red light district ?

"GB" wrote in message
news
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which no
longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of light,
which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not so good
later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally
we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You probaly would be best off having "Working Lights" and "Dining
Lighting" on different switches instead of trying to get one luminare type
to do everthing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote in news
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally
we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

We have LED Downlights in the ceiling and under cabinet lights. At the end
where the table is, we have a 3 lamp hanging fitting.
At meal time we turn off the main downlights and leave the cabinet and the
hanging light on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.

That one is going to be more difficult. Unless you actually just mean to
change the colour.

Well I do mean to change the colour - daylight for food prep, changed to
warm white when we eat.

I have more or less decided that what we want are some LED panel lights
that can be screwed to the ceiling. I'll check the output but 4 600x300
panels should do it, or possibly 600x600s. Some of those can be dimmed,
apparently. But I can't seem to find any that also let you change the
colour temperature/colour. If that's not possible, we'll compromise and
probably just go for some warm white lights. Am I currently looking for
something that doesn't exist?

4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

A problem in that lights which look good may not give the sort of working
light you need.

I think the panels are an improvement on the fluorescents we currently
have.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

Anything *can* be done - depending on how much new wiring and installation
you're willing and able to do. And how much you're willing to spend.

My over counter lighting where there are wall cupboards is concealed
fluorescents (tubes behind a plinth. On a dimmer. Other worktop lighting
is halogen downlighters - enough to give an even light. Also on dimmers.

Beauty of halogen is the way they go 'red' when dimmed. Exactly as needed
for relaxed lighting. The reason I'm staying with them. I'm one of those
rare people who want lighting to do what I want, before just saving money
on running costs. But my kitchen has also a dining area, so perhaps more
dual purpose than many.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Beauty of halogen is the way they go 'red' when dimmed. Exactly as needed
for relaxed lighting. The reason I'm staying with them. I'm one of those
rare people who want lighting to do what I want, before just saving money
on running costs. But my kitchen has also a dining area, so perhaps more
dual purpose than many.

That's interesting, but I definitely want the energy efficiency of LEDs.
I don't want to run new wiring, as that's too disruptive. I just want to
get the best substitute for the old fluorescent fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2017 18:16, GB wrote:
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally
we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

Do you have wall cupboards with room for lights on the top? They can
provide an easy way to provide diffuse "dining" light separate from the
work ceiling "work" lights. And pending a rewire it may be practicable
to power them from a plug into an existing socket with flex run behind
the cupboards without too much offence to the sensibilities - or at
least, to the sensibilities of those living with 4" ('?) fluorescent
light fittings

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/12/2017 13:05, Robin wrote:
On 08/12/2017 18:16, GB wrote:
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which
no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of
light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not
so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what
ideally we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

Do you have wall cupboards with room for lights on the top?Â* They can
provide an easy way to provide diffuse "dining" light separate from the
work ceiling "work" lights.Â* And pending a rewire it may be practicable
to power them from a plug into an existing socket with flex run behind
the cupboards without too much offence to the sensibilities - or at
least, to the sensibilities of those living with 4" ('?) fluorescent
light fittings

We have under-cupboard lights already. These are fluorescent, and I'm
keeping those unchanged. As you say, they do provide a very pleasant
light for dining. They are controlled by 5 switches (one on each light)
and people tend to leave them on too much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 03:14:09 UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to GB, Iggy wrote:

For those requirements, I'd think your best bet would be an up-light
arrangement (
http://www.diy.com/departments/reya-.../257713_BQ.prd

that is not an uplight

). This, will give you a Northern Light effect

it doesn't

and make shadows much less
harsh

yes, but the fitting shown is generally used in or near the middle of the room, not the best option for a kitchen.

while still accepting dimmable LED's or CFL's.

plurals don't have apostrophes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 12:45:12 UTC, GB wrote:

3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.

That one is going to be more difficult. Unless you actually just mean to
change the colour.

Well I do mean to change the colour - daylight for food prep, changed to
warm white when we eat.

I have more or less decided that what we want are some LED panel lights
that can be screwed to the ceiling. I'll check the output but 4 600x300
panels should do it, or possibly 600x600s. Some of those can be dimmed,
apparently. But I can't seem to find any that also let you change the
colour temperature/colour. If that's not possible, we'll compromise and
probably just go for some warm white lights. Am I currently looking for
something that doesn't exist?

will create lots of shadows

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote:
Yes, it's an up-light, the exposed or naked bulbs are up and where the most
light is released.

Yes, reflection creates a very much Northern Type Lighting, exactly why it's
used by photographers.

Yes, and is up to the user to decide if they want more than one fixture, he
had 4 previously and may need 2 for the best results.

Yes, acronyms are legally pluralized by either an apostrophe or a hyphen (just
ugly and can be mistaken for a different model), a lowercase "s" is only legal
when the acronym is capitalized though many spell checkers fail them (CFLs,
CFL-s or CFL's).

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1255355-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 15:14:06 UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote:

Yes, it's an up-light, the exposed or naked bulbs are up and where the most
light is released.

Yes, reflection creates a very much Northern Type Lighting, exactly why it's
used by photographers.

Yes, and is up to the user to decide if they want more than one fixture, he
had 4 previously and may need 2 for the best results.

Yes, acronyms are legally pluralized by either an apostrophe or a hyphen (just
ugly and can be mistaken for a different model), a lowercase "s" is only legal
when the acronym is capitalized though many spell checkers fail them (CFLs,
CFL-s or CFL's).

almost none of that correct as ever. I see no point replying further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I have more or less decided that what we want are some LED panel
lights that can be screwed to the ceiling. I'll check the output but
4 600x300 panels should do it, or possibly 600x600s. Some of those
can be dimmed, apparently. But I can't seem to find any that also let
you change the colour temperature/colour.

Don't know about 600mm versions, but some panels have both warm and cool
LEDs and alternate between them each time you turn them on.

these aren't cheap, other may be

https://www.ledecolite.co.uk/rgb-cct-colour-changing-panels.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which no
longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of light,
which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not so good
later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.

It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally
we need is:

1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows.
2. Dimmable.
3. Ideally, able to change light temperature.
4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

IMO the Hue strip lights are the way to go for the kitchen.

Ideal for the bench tops that have cupboards above them as the
led strip light are great under the cupboards. And easy to do
above the island benches that dont have cupboards above them.

Not cheap, but work very well indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy m wrote
GB wrote

What a ****ing abortion.

This, will give you a Northern Light effect and make shadows much less
harsh while still accepting dimmable LED's or CFL's.

Only a terminal ****wit like you would use CFLs today.

And given that the best leds arent cheap, it makes no
sense to have an abortion like that that needs 5 of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2017 18:51, Rod Speed wrote:
Iggy m wrote
GB wrote

For those requirements, I'd think your best bet would be an up-light
arrangement
http://www.diy.com/departments/reya-.../257713_BQ.prd

What a ****ing abortion.

This, will give you a Northern Light effect and make shadows much less
harsh while still accepting dimmable LED's or CFL's.

Only a terminal ****wit like you would use CFLs today.

No, use proper pearl incandescents. Available as "heavy duty".

The EU punish us for using incandescents by insisting we use pre-WW2
technology clear bulbs. Roll on Brexit.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 21:42:30 UTC, Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 07:58:34 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr coalesced
the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 15:14:06 UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote:

Yes, it's an up-light, the exposed or naked bulbs are up and where the most
light is released.

Yes, reflection creates a very much Northern Type Lighting, exactly why it's
used by photographers.

Yes, and is up to the user to decide if they want more than one fixture, he
had 4 previously and may need 2 for the best results.

Yes, acronyms are legally pluralized by either an apostrophe or a hyphen (just
ugly and can be mistaken for a different model), a lowercase "s" is only legal
when the acronym is capitalized though many spell checkers fail them (CFLs,
CFL-s or CFL's).

almost none of that correct as ever. I see no point replying further.

He can use an many apostrophes as he likes as far as I'm concerned,
just make him stop using HomeOwnersHub!

Wh'o needs basic literacy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:03:35 +0000
GB wrote:

That's interesting, but I definitely want the energy efficiency of
LEDs. I don't want to run new wiring, as that's too disruptive. I
just want to get the best substitute for the old fluorescent fittings.

Wireless switches or dimmers could give you lots of flexibility without
requiring any new wiring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/12/2017 23:33, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:03:35 +0000
GB wrote:

That's interesting, but I definitely want the energy efficiency of
LEDs. I don't want to run new wiring, as that's too disruptive. I
just want to get the best substitute for the old fluorescent fittings.

Wireless switches or dimmers could give you lots of flexibility without
requiring any new wiring.

That's a great idea, thanks.
Member

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:00:43 +0000, Ruby Mia wrote:

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your kitchen.

Goody! Just what I need. Another pointless poster stating both ********
*and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to my kill
filter file. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 17:31:55 GMT
Johnny B Good wrote:

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:00:43 +0000, Ruby Mia wrote:

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your
kitchen.

Goody! Just what I need. Another pointless poster stating both
******** *and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to
my kill filter file. :-)

I thought maybe it was actually a spammer-in-waiting, soon to regale us
with tales of how wonderful some overseas supplier of LEDs is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:00:43 +0000, Ruby Mia wrote:

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your
kitchen.

Goody! Just what I need. Another pointless poster stating both
******** *and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to
my kill filter file. :-)

I thought maybe it was actually a spammer-in-waiting, soon to regale us
with tales of how wonderful some overseas supplier of LEDs is.

Yes, it did have that look to it. Anyway, he's been added to my killfile
now before he can start posting links to dodgy Chinese suppliers. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:00:43 +0000, Ruby Mia wrote:

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your
kitchen.

Goody! Just what I need. Another pointless poster stating both
******** *and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to
my kill filter file. :-)

I thought maybe it was actually a spammer-in-waiting, soon to regale us
with tales of how wonderful some overseas supplier of LEDs is.

Yes, it did have that look to it. Anyway, he's been added to my killfile
now before he can start posting links to dodgy Chinese suppliers. :-)

Could be a she not a he....

--
Adam
Member

Look nice but you chose bright lights .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 19:44:30 +0000, ARW wrote:

====snip====

Yes, it did have that look to it. Anyway, he's been added to my
killfile
now before he can start posting links to dodgy Chinese suppliers. :-)

Could be a she not a he....

It doesn't matter now... "(S)He's dead, Jim!". :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 17:31, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:00:43 +0000, Ruby Mia wrote:

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your kitchen.

Goody! Just what I need. Another pointless poster stating both ********
*and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to my kill
filter file. :-)

Well, that's stopped another new user joining the group.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 21:47:38 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 12/12/2017 17:31, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 07:00:43 +0000, Ruby Mia wrote:

LED bulbs are best for kitchen. You can use LED bulbs in your kitchen.

Goody! Just what I need. Another pointless poster stating both ********
*and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to my kill
filter file. :-)

Well, that's stopped another new user joining the group.

Andy

AFAIK the only regular we've acquired from hoh is iggy :/

NT
Member

For big kitchen you are used LED lights almost three or four. Small kitchen uses one or two LED lights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ruby Mia wrote:

For big kitchen you are used LED lights almost three or four. Small
kitchen uses one or two LED lights.

I must have an enormous kitchen. Have a 6ft and 4ft fluorescent and 7
other lights. LED must be truly magical.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

********
*and* the "Bleedin' Obvious" in a 'one liner' to be added to my kill
filter file. :-)

Well, that's stopped another new user joining the group.

Andy

Probably not since it seems to be a nym shifting troll with some sort of
fixed idea to peddle regarding LED GLS light bulbs being better than
fluorescent (or LED equivalents thereof) lighting in a typical domestic
kitchen. It seems I need to tune my kill filter to a broader scope.

--
Johnny B Good