Justin

Default Speedfit and shower pumps

I'm in the process of upgrading the downstairs bathroom and have bought a
Salamander 2.25 bar pump which will also boost the hot supply to the kitchen
which has had poor pressure since installing a new tap which I presume has a
ceramic valve. The pump will be installed in the airing cupboard close to
the HWC.

Anyway I'm digressing. To run some new pipework to the repositioned
bath/shower valve I was considering Speedfit/Hep 2o etc. It will be easier
to route around ceiling joists etc and should minimise joints, and bends
will be smooth arcs etc. The pipework I will be connecting to with the Hep
2o is existing 15mm copper, not ideal but it will have to do.

Looking at the joints, the manufacturers recommend sleeves are used to
support the pipe internally, I presume to stop it being crushed. Bearing in
mind its only 15mm pipe, will these sleeves restrict to any great degree the
flow rate?

To join the pipe to the existing copper I was considering the use of a full
bore valve, such as a stopcock. I seem to think service valves etc will
restrict flow? In this way I make the joint and also have a convenient way
of shutting the supply off if needed. Should I be using brass compression
valves or hep 2o variety to make the copper/Hep 2o pipe joints??

Whats best Speedfit or Hep2o ?

Justin

---

IMM

"Justin" jsheldon@ remove me lineone.net wrote in message
[...]

Neither, Marley Equator or Osma Gold.

Grunff

Justin wrote:

Looking at the joints, the manufacturers recommend sleeves are used to
support the pipe internally, I presume to stop it being crushed. Bearing in
mind its only 15mm pipe, will these sleeves restrict to any great degree the
flow rate?

Yes, you must use inserts. If using plastic pipe to compression
fittings, use either stailess (hep) or copper (cuprofit) inserts.

To join the pipe to the existing copper I was considering the use of a full
bore valve, such as a stopcock.

Stopcocks are rarely full bore. I suspect you mean a quarter turn ball
valve?

I seem to think service valves etc will
restrict flow?

Yes, they will.

In this way I make the joint and also have a convenient way
of shutting the supply off if needed.

Good plan.

Should I be using brass compression
valves or hep 2o variety to make the copper/Hep 2o pipe joints??

Up to you. I use standard lever/ball valves.

Whats best Speedfit or Hep2o ?

Both very good systems. Very similar.

Phew - there's a relief.

--
Grunff
Justin

"Grunff" wrote in message
Justin wrote:

Looking at the joints, the manufacturers recommend sleeves are used to
support the pipe internally, I presume to stop it being crushed. Bearing

in
mind its only 15mm pipe, will these sleeves restrict to any great degree

the
flow rate?

Yes, you must use inserts. If using plastic pipe to compression
fittings, use either stailess (hep) or copper (cuprofit) inserts.

I see so you use different inserts if using compression joints on plastic
pipes?

Do you think the inserts will restrict flow - thats my main concern givern
its 15mm pipe?

Justin

---

Grunff

Justin wrote:

I see so you use different inserts if using compression joints on plastic
pipes?

Well, yes and no :-)

Each manufacturer has their own inserts. SpeedFit make plastic inserts
with an O ring on the end - so you get a double O ring seal. Hep make SS
inserts. Cuprofit make copper inserts.

The purpose of the insert is to prevent the pipe from
bending/collapsing. It doesn't really matter which you use - they all do
the same job. If using speedfit fittings, I usually use their plastic
inserts with the extra O ring. But I have (and do) use the inserts
interchangeably.

The plastic inserts have a thicker wall than the copper ones, and so
will cause a greater restriction. The stainless ones have the thinnest
walls of all. So if I were you, I'd use stainless inserts throughout,
thereby achieving minimum restriction.

--
Grunff

Justin

The plastic inserts have a thicker wall than the copper ones, and so
will cause a greater restriction. The stainless ones have the thinnest
walls of all. So if I were you, I'd use stainless inserts throughout,
thereby achieving minimum restriction.

great advice, thanks

---

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Justin wrote:

I see so you use different inserts if using compression joints on

plastic
pipes?

Well, yes and no :-)

Each manufacturer has their own inserts. SpeedFit make plastic inserts
with an O ring on the end - so you get a double O ring seal.

That is an extra. the normal one does not have a double seal. the insert is
plastic . Give them a miss.

Hep make SS
inserts. Cuprofit make copper inserts.

The purpose of the insert is to prevent the pipe from
bending/collapsing. It doesn't really matter which you use - they all do
the same job. If using speedfit fittings, I usually use their plastic
inserts with the extra O ring. But I have (and do) use the inserts
interchangeably.

The plastic inserts have a thicker wall than the copper ones, and so
will cause a greater restriction. The stainless ones have the thinnest
walls of all. So if I were you, I'd use stainless inserts throughout,
thereby achieving minimum restriction.

--
Grunff

Trevor Smith

"Grunff" wrote in message
Justin wrote:

Looking at the joints, the manufacturers recommend sleeves are used to
support the pipe internally, I presume to stop it being crushed. Bearing

in
mind its only 15mm pipe, will these sleeves restrict to any great degree

the
flow rate?

Yes, you must use inserts. If using plastic pipe to compression
fittings, use either stailess (hep) or copper (cuprofit) inserts.

To join the pipe to the existing copper I was considering the use of a

full
bore valve, such as a stopcock.

Stopcocks are rarely full bore. I suspect you mean a quarter turn ball
valve?

I seem to think service valves etc will
restrict flow?

Yes, they will.

You can use two 15-22 adaptors one each side of a 22mm service valve which
has a bore that is close to 15mm.

Christian McArdle

Looking at the joints, the manufacturers recommend sleeves are used to
support the pipe internally, I presume to stop it being crushed. Bearing

in
mind its only 15mm pipe, will these sleeves restrict to any great degree

the
flow rate?

No, they're very thin, provided you get the right type. (I use Hep2O for
this).

To join the pipe to the existing copper I was considering the use of a

full
bore valve, such as a stopcock.

Use a quarter turn lever ball valve. Compression are cheaper than pushfit.

i.e.

Christian.