Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reusing compression olives

On Friday, 5 December 2003 15:59:01 UTC, Christian McArdle wrote:
I'm puzzled... As the olive practically cold welds itself to the pipe,
how are you supposed to get it off?

Supposedly a hacksaw. My opinion is that you're more likely to get success
(and much more quickly) by reusing the old olive than hacking the pipe
around. You can get proper olive removers, but they're expensive.

AFAIK you can undo and tighten up compression fittings as many times
as you like.

I think I may have misread the original question. Obviously, you reuse the
olive if just retightening an old joint. I was thinking that the entire
valve had been replaced. (i.e. replacing handwheel with TRV).

Christian.

You will never get one off intact or without damaging the pipe
Occasionally they leak when reconnected
Just needs a bit of PTFE tape wrapped round them to fix the problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 02:02:51 -0800, harry wrote:

[...]

It took you 14 years and 2 days to answer that one Harry! Been busy?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
[...]

Talking ******** too. Admittedly rarely get one off intact (except when
its been on stainless steel pipe) but not too hard to remove without any
damage to the pipe. Done it many times.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:35:25 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Talking ******** too. Admittedly rarely get one off intact (except when
its been on stainless steel pipe) but not too hard to remove without
any damage to the pipe. Done it many times.

Slide hammer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:35:25 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Talking ******** too. Admittedly rarely get one off intact (except when
its been on stainless steel pipe) but not too hard to remove without
any damage to the pipe. Done it many times.

Slide hammer?

Dremel type device, slim cutting disk and cut a partial thickness groove in
it (I usually do it on the diagonal). When deep enough (but obviously not
full thickness if you want to avoid damage to the pipe) insert the tip of a
good screwdriver in the slot and twist. This will then snap the olive.

The most important part is to make your cut as clean as possible with
vertical sides so that the screwdriver tip gets a good purchase.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ writes:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:35:25 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Talking ******** too. Admittedly rarely get one off intact (except when
its been on stainless steel pipe) but not too hard to remove without
any damage to the pipe. Done it many times.

Slide hammer?

Dremel type device, slim cutting disk and cut a partial thickness groove in
it (I usually do it on the diagonal). When deep enough (but obviously not
full thickness if you want to avoid damage to the pipe) insert the tip of a
good screwdriver in the slot and twist. This will then snap the olive.

The most important part is to make your cut as clean as possible with
vertical sides so that the screwdriver tip gets a good purchase.

I do exactly that, but with a junior hacksaw.

--
Andrew Gabriel