Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Reusing a compression joint..?

I have just put in some plumbing, one part of which is a compression
joint to 22mm pipe, that screws straight into a 3/4" brass fitting.

This screw in joint is weeping very very slightly.

The easy way out is to unscrew the compression joint, and then re-do the
screw in bit with more PTFE tape..and then re-screw the compression joint..

I never like re-screwing up a compression joint though, although this
one is not totally rammed home.

To remake the pipe that goes into the compression joint is flipping
awkward, so I am inclined to take the risk as a shot to nothing really..

What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Homer2911

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I have just put in some plumbing, one part of which is a compression
joint to 22mm pipe, that screws straight into a 3/4" brass fitting.

This screw in joint is weeping very very slightly.

The easy way out is to unscrew the compression joint, and then re-do the
screw in bit with more PTFE tape..and then re-screw the compression joint..

I never like re-screwing up a compression joint though, although this
one is not totally rammed home.

To remake the pipe that goes into the compression joint is flipping
awkward, so I am inclined to take the risk as a shot to nothing really..

What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

Personally, I would re-use it, but using a bit of Plumber's Mait
compound

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Homer2911 wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I have just put in some plumbing, one part of which is a compression
joint to 22mm pipe, that screws straight into a 3/4" brass fitting.

This screw in joint is weeping very very slightly.

The easy way out is to unscrew the compression joint, and then re-do the
screw in bit with more PTFE tape..and then re-screw the compression joint..

I never like re-screwing up a compression joint though, although this
one is not totally rammed home.

To remake the pipe that goes into the compression joint is flipping
awkward, so I am inclined to take the risk as a shot to nothing really..

What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

Personally, I would re-use it, but using a bit of Plumber's Mait
compound

I just did, just more tape on the screw joint, and re-tightened the
compression.it had a little bit left..so far...so good.

Gulp.

I hate leaks..

ALL the solder joints I worried about were fine. Just one lousy packed
thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:59:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The easy way out is to unscrew the compression joint, and then re-do the
screw in bit with more PTFE tape..and then re-screw the compression joint..

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

I've done it loads of times. It certainly wouldn't even occur to me to even
change the olive, let alone the entire fitting. I never use any jointing
compound or PTFE on compression joints.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Christian McArdle wrote:
What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

I've done it loads of times. It certainly wouldn't even occur to me to even
change the olive, let alone the entire fitting. I never use any jointing
compound or PTFE on compression joints.

One problem with this is you don't know how many times this has been
done.
The olive will work harden sooner or later, and stop working so well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:59:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The easy way out is to unscrew the compression joint, and then re-do the
screw in bit with more PTFE tape..and then re-screw the compression joint..

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

No, the PFTE was on the screw in part - not the compression joint.
The whole assy was to go between 22mm copper and 3/4 thread..the only
thing I could find was a 3/4" screw to 22mm compression fitting.

It was the screw in bit that was weeping.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

I've done it loads of times. It certainly wouldn't even occur to me to even
change the olive, let alone the entire fitting. I never use any jointing
compound or PTFE on compression joints.

Christian.

Good. Anyway it worked. There is confusion. The PTFE was not on the
compression joint - there was a threaded joint as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

I've done it loads of times. It certainly wouldn't even occur to me to even
change the olive, let alone the entire fitting. I never use any jointing
compound or PTFE on compression joints.

One problem with this is you don't know how many times this has been
done.

I do. I did it yesterday for the first time.

The olive will work harden sooner or later, and stop working so well.

Yup. I don't like reusing old ones, but this was brand new. Whole new
pipework, bugger of a job, and then one screw joint leaked a teeny
bit..and it would be buried in the wall.

Anyway it IS buried in the wall now, and I hope I never have to see it
again.

There is a huge dichotomy between neat trim bathrooms and accessible
plumbing.

My feeling is that as long as it all lasts longer than HER desire for
another complete makeover (10-15 years) that's good enough for me..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

No, the PFTE was on the screw in part - not the compression joint.
The whole assy was to go between 22mm copper and 3/4 thread..the only
thing I could find was a 3/4" screw to 22mm compression fitting.

You make it sound like it wasn't the perfect fitting for the job!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
Someone else wrote, but the attributions were munged:
What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

I've done it loads of times. It certainly wouldn't even occur to me to even
change the olive, let alone the entire fitting. I never use any jointing
compound or PTFE on compression joints.

The olive will work harden sooner or later, and stop working so well.

It's a metal-on-metal joint, which should be watertight. After
the initial deformation it should not be necessary to swing on
the spanner when doing the joint up. You can't make a watertight
joint more watertight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Personally, I would re-use it, but using a bit of Plumber's Mait
compound

I just did, just more tape on the screw joint, and re-tightened the
compression.it had a little bit left..so far...so good.

Tape on the thread?

:¬(

The water shouldn't be getting anywhere near the thread.
A few winds around the olive/pipe or some other form of flexible sealant
would have been a better solution.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
No, the PFTE was on the screw in part - not the compression joint.
The whole assy was to go between 22mm copper and 3/4 thread..the only
thing I could find was a 3/4" screw to 22mm compression fitting.

You make it sound like it wasn't the perfect fitting for the job!

Christian.

Oh..well yes..it is a three hole wall tap..bought it online, and got two
taps, and a spout. All had 3/4" screw fittings. No explicit way to mount
the taps, except a large threaded section to which I could find no nuts.
No explicit way to connect the tap outputs to the spout.

In the end I soldered up a 22mm T section, and put 22mm compression to
3/4" threaded sections - 5 in all - on all the threaded bits, did it up
tight and wedged it in a notched stud. And screwed a bit of 15mm ply
over that to hold it down. Then a further bit of MDF wedged under a
noggin with a hole in it to take the other side tap pushed it
horizontal, and provided a spacer..and a sheet of 22mm chip of dubious
parentage with three holes in it was screwed over the lot... and
extended as far as needs be along where the bath will go. Screw the bath
to that later, and tile up the lot..after skimming a bit to get the wall
FLAT which it ain't. Grr. Must remember to line the bath up with the
floor tile line...

SHE wanted 'taps in the wall please' I didn't even get a blow job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Personally, I would re-use it, but using a bit of Plumber's Mait
compound

I just did, just more tape on the screw joint, and re-tightened the
compression.it had a little bit left..so far...so good.

Tape on the thread?

On the other half of the joint.

Screw joint. I had to undo the COMPRESSION joint to remove the screw joint.

Have a look here
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s..._Fittings.html

Product code 555031.

And all will become clear..

:¬(

The water shouldn't be getting anywhere near the thread.
A few winds around the olive/pipe or some other form of flexible sealant
would have been a better solution.

Again, haven't read what I wrote properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
snip
SHE wanted 'taps in the wall please' I didn't even get a blow job.

/me resists the temptation to suggest DIY, or getting a professional in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:20:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I didn't even get a blow job.

No blow job, no taps.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bookworm wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years.

When is tape or anything else needed for compression
joints? The joint is watertight metal on metal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on
Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for
potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

He is right. PTFE should not be used on brass compression joints. There
are potable version of jointing paste. This should be used and only a smear
between the body of the fitting and the olive.. Do you put PTFE on the
threads of a compression joint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Bookworm wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years.

When is tape or anything else needed for compression
joints? The joint is watertight metal on metal.

In theory you are right. In practice a smear of jointing paste is needed to
fill in any imperfections in the olive, fitting and pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

Somewhat unnecessarily, though!

You're right about Boss White, though. Should only be used on heating
primary circuits, really.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

SHE wanted 'taps in the wall please' I didn't even get a blow job.

You got a drip, though.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message . com,
Bookworm writes
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

True, but Boss Green is/does.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on
Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for
potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

He is right. PTFE should not be used on brass compression joints. There
are potable version of jointing paste. This should be used and only a smear
between the body of the fitting and the olive.. Do you put PTFE on the
threads of a compression joint?

Why shouldn't PTFE tape be put on compression joints ? If I've got any
concerns about one, I put a couple of wrpas round the nose of the pipe
such that it just covers the olive.

And as for the tosh about work hardening !!! Once the olive has been
compressed onto the pipe' it's not going to change in dimension again -
the metal to metal seal has been made and the seal thereafter is
between the olive and the fitting, which might require some assistance
in the form of PTFE or paste.

I've never had any problem with re-suing compression fittings - in fact
I'm mean enough that I've recycled various bits of off-cuts that have
olives on them and never had a problem.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Bookworm wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years.

When is tape or anything else needed for compression
joints? The joint is watertight metal on metal.

Sigh.

How many times do I have to repeat that the original question was not
about using tape on compression joints, but on a screw thread joint, the
undoing of which also required a compression joint to be unscrewed?

However, I have had to use sealer on compression joints before now. 10mm
oil pipe mainly.

The pipe is so soft the olives don't make a good seal to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

SHE wanted 'taps in the wall please' I didn't even get a blow job.

You got a drip, though.

Actually, at one point I got a flood of hot water and an earful..but
thats somewhat off the topic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:12:07 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message . com,
Bookworm writes
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

True, but Boss Green is/does.

As does Boss Blue I believe .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on
Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for
potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

He is right. PTFE should not be used on
brass compression joints. There
are potable version of jointing paste.
This should be used and only a smear
between the body of the fitting and the olive..
Do you put PTFE on the
threads of a compression joint?

Why shouldn't PTFE tape be put
on compression joints ?

It is not designed for it. It is designed to be wrapped on threads. Some
plastic pipe makers stipulate that PTFE is wrapped around a metal olive when
using brass compression joints with plastic pipe. That is the only case of
wrapping an olive with PTFE that I know of, and I am doubtful if that really
adds anything at all.

If I've got any
concerns about one, I put a couple
of wrpas round the nose of the pipe
such that it just covers the olive.

Use jointing paste.

And as for the tosh about work hardening !!!

I never said anything about work hardening.