Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Cables in attic and over plasterboard not clipped to joists -legal in Part P

I'm replacing old rubber lights cables with new grey ones,
stringing them over the plasterboard ceiling where they used to be.

And in the attic I'm laying them along the floor where the old ones were.

But looking at my Yellow On Site Guide page 69 Table 7.1.(ii)
(Installation reference method)
I can't find these methods.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/on-site-guide-bs7671

Or is it B (Enclosed in conduit or trunking on a wall etc?

Or to pass a Part P inspection 17 or 17A3
do all or some of them have to be clipped to the joists?

thanks
[George]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/12/2017 16:23, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm replacing old rubber lights cables with new grey ones,
stringing them over the plasterboard ceiling where they used to be.

And in the attic I'm laying them along the floor where the old ones were.

But looking at my Yellow On Site Guide page 69 Table 7.1.(ii)
(Installation reference method)
I can't find these methods.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/on-site-guide-bs7671

Or is it B (Enclosed in conduit or trunking on a wall etc?

Or to pass a Part P inspection 17 or 17A3
do all or some of them have to be clipped to the joists?

I cannot see anything wrong with cables laid on top of a plasterboard
ceiling.

Cover them with insulation and its reference method 100 or 101
(depending on how much insulation you use)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to DICEGEORGE, Iggy wrote:
Actually, if you have a floor atop the timbers, then the floor has to come up
and the wires drilled and/or clipped accordingly within and to the
timbers...like any fully enclosed structural members. If the plasterboard was
just on the bottom and nothing atop the timbers, then it's fine to lay the
wires atop the timbers since there's no normal or expected avenue for wire
damage. However, Inspectors usually want to see them stapled sparingly to
avoid sag or movement into a hazardous situation and that they can't be
accidentally pulled from fixtures.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...i-1254083-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2017 16:23, DICEGEORGE wrote:

I'm replacing old rubber lights cables with new grey ones,
stringing them over the plasterboard ceiling where they used to be.

And in the attic I'm laying them along the floor where the old ones were.

But looking at my Yellow On Site Guide page 69 Table 7.1.(ii)
(Installation reference method)
I can't find these methods.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/on-site-guide-bs7671

Or is it B (Enclosed in conduit or trunking on a wall etc?

Table 4A2 in the full regs has a specific entry for single-core or multi
core cable in a ceiling void, or in a suspended ceiling. Its says treat
as method B (i.e. as in conduit on a wall)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lation_Methods

Or to pass a Part P inspection 17 or 17A3
do all or some of them have to be clipped to the joists?

Not when supported on the ceiling etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to DICEGEORGE, Iggy wrote:
Actually, if you have a floor atop the timbers, then the floor has to come up
and the wires drilled and/or clipped accordingly within and to the
timbers...like any fully enclosed structural members. If the plasterboard was
just on the bottom and nothing atop the timbers, then it's fine to lay the
wires atop the timbers since there's no normal or expected avenue for wire
damage. However, Inspectors usually want to see them stapled sparingly to
avoid sag or movement into a hazardous situation and that they can't be
accidentally pulled from fixtures.

Do you have experience in the UK under UK rules & regs?

Or is this just you googling? if so why not include a link to
your source(s) so OPs can see for themselves?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Iggy m wrote:
replying to DICEGEORGE, Iggy wrote: Actually, if you have a floor atop
the timbers, then the floor has to come up and the wires drilled and/or
clipped accordingly within and to the timbers...like any fully enclosed
structural members. If the plasterboard was just on the bottom and
nothing atop the timbers, then it's fine to lay the wires atop the
timbers since there's no normal or expected avenue for wire damage.
However, Inspectors usually want to see them stapled sparingly to avoid
sag or movement into a hazardous situation and that they can't be
accidentally pulled from fixtures.

Which inspectors would this be? How can a cable sag when laid across a
ceiling? How does a cable get pulled from a fixture when between a floor
and ceiling? Have you any experience of the mechanical strength of TW&E?
To do any damage would require the force of an idiot.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/17 09:31, jim wrote:
Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to DICEGEORGE, Iggy wrote:
Actually, if you have a floor atop the timbers, then the floor has to come up
and the wires drilled and/or clipped accordingly within and to the
timbers...like any fully enclosed structural members. If the plasterboard was
just on the bottom and nothing atop the timbers, then it's fine to lay the
wires atop the timbers since there's no normal or expected avenue for wire
damage. However, Inspectors usually want to see them stapled sparingly to
avoid sag or movement into a hazardous situation and that they can't be
accidentally pulled from fixtures.

Do you have experience in the UK under UK rules & regs?

Clearly not as half of what he said is not correct.

Or is this just you googling?
if so why not include a link to
your source(s) so OPs can see for themselves?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 05/12/17 09:31, jim wrote:
Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to DICEGEORGE, Iggy wrote:
Actually, if you have a floor atop the timbers, then the floor has to come up
and the wires drilled and/or clipped accordingly within and to the
timbers...like any fully enclosed structural members. If the plasterboard was
just on the bottom and nothing atop the timbers, then it's fine to lay the
wires atop the timbers since there's no normal or expected avenue for wire
damage. However, Inspectors usually want to see them stapled sparingly to
avoid sag or movement into a hazardous situation and that they can't be
accidentally pulled from fixtures.

Do you have experience in the UK under UK rules & regs?

Clearly not as half of what he said is not correct.

Oh Indeed.

I am merely mildly intrigued by the apparent persistence of all
the "advice" even when it's plainly & obviously either somewhat
lacking or so bloody obvious as to almost be a ****
take.

(Putting aside the insistence on using the homo-owners.club
portal & the bitchy retorts to those who point out the many
gaffes...)

Still all entertainment I spose :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you any experience of the mechanical strength of TW&E?
To do any damage would require the force of an idiot.

I can assure you that 10mm T&E cannot be used as an emergency tow rope
for a Fiesta!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
news
Have you any experience of the mechanical strength of TW&E?
To do any damage would require the force of an idiot.

I can assure you that 10mm T&E cannot be used as an emergency tow rope for
a Fiesta!

LOL

Nor can hosepipe. When my car got bogged down in soft ground when I was
visiting a client the other year, he fetched a neighbour and his 4x4 to pull
me out. My tow-rope, fastened around the neighbour's towing hitch and the
towing eye that I screwed into the towing point on my car, was not very long
and we decided that once he got my car going, it may shoot back into his
vehicle. So we needed a longer piece of rope. And my client produced a
length of soft plastic hosepipe and asked if that would do to lengthen the
tow-rope. I'm sure he was being 100% serious, rather than facetious. I'll
never forget the eyes-skywards, some-mothers-do-have-them look that the
neighbour gave me. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Have you any experience of the mechanical strength of TW&E?
To do any damage would require the force of an idiot.

I can assure you that 10mm T&E cannot be used as an emergency tow rope
for a Fiesta!

;-)

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*