Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New wires through old holes and notches legal in Part P - and clipped

I'm running new wires for sockets and lights,
but the existing notches and holes in the woodwork are in the wrong places for Part P.

I hesitate to drill new holes further weakening the structure.

Is it OK to use exisiting notches?
I have some steel plates to go voer them which I bought from CPC Farnell

[George]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/17 16:17, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm running new wires for sockets and lights,
but the existing notches and holes in the woodwork are in the wrong places for Part P.

I hesitate to drill new holes further weakening the structure.

Is it OK to use exisiting notches?

Of course - because they are there and you are not introducing
additional weaknesses (the hole spacing regs are building regs, not
electrical regs as such - they are mentioned in the electrical regs
guides as they are relevant.

I have some steel plates to go voer them which I bought from CPC Farnell

If the cable is 50mm from the top of the joist, that is a very wise move
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/12/2017 16:17, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm running new wires for sockets and lights,
but the existing notches and holes in the woodwork are in the wrong places for Part P.

I hesitate to drill new holes further weakening the structure.

Is it OK to use exisiting notches?
I have some steel plates to go voer them which I bought from CPC Farnell

That one is down to the BCO.

But he would be insane IMHO if he made you drill more holes.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to DICEGEORGE, Iggy wrote:
You're absolutely right with the steel plates to satisfy the regs, they should
be thick and/or hardened. Use the old holes and anything too close to the edge
should get a Safety Plate, applies to pipes too. If you need more or desire
made-for - Expamet Galvanised Steel Safe Plate
http://www.diy.com/departments/expam...e/35545_BQ.prd

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1254081-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y