Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB aerial

I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The radio
will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it needs to
be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

attach a longer wire to that wire.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Yes, get an FM radio or an internet radio! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh one of those eh, common in things with Bush fidelity and goodmans names
on.

How long is the wire?
Obviously not a lot you can do if you don't want to open up the unit.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The radio
will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it needs to
be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
F news@nowhere wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin
wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Yes, get an FM radio or an internet radio! :-)

Can you guarantee perfect reception on FM with a bit of wire for an
aerial? No? Not much point in that comment, then.

And can you guarantee perfect internet too all the time?

i-player etc is generally pretty good here. But not all the time.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It may work but the fact that its got just a bit of wire means its meant for
strong signal areas and one would hope it has the sensitivity to work.
However if you are getting boiling mud noises than either your signal is
rubbish or the set is.

If you could open it up and ge inside you might be able to attach a bit of
coax to the airial input and the earth to a local earth inside. Then you
could terminate it in a socket and use an outside dab aerial. However this
might...
1. be making the warrenty invalid
or
allowing an inadaquately insulated bit of metal to be touched outside the
box
or
Just be impossible to do as the aeriel input is not meant for a real aerial.
Incidentally if you attach a cloths peg to the wire and stretch it up as it
would be if it was a telescopic one does it then work? If so then there is
the answer.
Brian

--
----- -

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

attach a longer wire to that wire.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Cut the wire aerial short. Connect the coaxial inner of the cable from
an outdoor aerial to it. Leave the coaxial screen unconnected. It will
transfer enough signal to work, despite the inefficiency.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 30/11/2017 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin
wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Cut the wire aerial short. Connect the coaxial inner of the cable from
an outdoor aerial to it. Leave the coaxial screen unconnected. It will
transfer enough signal to work, despite the inefficiency.

Often wondered if there was a good way to connect an outside aerial to
these 'bit of wire' ones.

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
F news@nowhere wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin
wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Yes, get an FM radio or an internet radio! :-)

Can you guarantee perfect reception on FM with a bit of wire for an
aerial? No? Not much point in that comment, then.

No, but there's a much better chance than with DAB in my experience.
.... and I did put a :-)

And can you guarantee perfect internet too all the time?

I've never had any issues with my internet radios, even when we
had fairly slow (2 to 4Mb/s) ADSL.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 30/11/2017 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin
wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Cut the wire aerial short. Connect the coaxial inner of the cable from
an outdoor aerial to it. Leave the coaxial screen unconnected. It will
transfer enough signal to work, despite the inefficiency.

Often wondered if there was a good way to connect an outside aerial to
these 'bit of wire' ones.

I always categorised ones with a bit of wire as being junk ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/17 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

You can try moving the wire around. We had a similar issue initially and
found just a small change made a big difference- as did closing the
wardrobe doors (which are mirrored). I assume they upgraded the
transmitter as it seems far less sensitive to the position of the wire now.

If you are in a poor signal area, then you may need an external antenna-
which (ideally) means a proper connector on the radio. Those on DAB
radios tend to be F type- as used on satellite boxes. However, you MAY
get away with just linking the inner of the coax to the existing wire. I
theory it is 'bad news' but you'd be surprised what rules can be 'bent'
when it comes to such things- remember the fashion for coat hangers as
car aerials ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 16:48, Brian Reay wrote:
On 30/11/17 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin
wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

You can try moving the wire around. We had a similar issue initially and
found just a small change made a big difference- as did closing the
wardrobe doors (which are mirrored).

Thanks. Tried that, and the wardrobe doors are closed. As you say, the
slightest move...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 30/11/17 12:56, F wrote:
[...]

;-)

is that after the naughty boys break them ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 17:11, pamela wrote:
http://support-uk.pure.com/en/kb/art...l-lengths-for-
dab-fm

Schoolboy error. What about velocity factor?
How do we know this quarter wave will be connected to something that
matches its theoretical 50ohm impedance?
Anyway, even a perfectly resonant and matched length of wire will only
collect signal that exists, and it will not produce a better signal to
local noise ratio than a random length.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 30/11/2017 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin
wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

Cut the wire aerial short. Connect the coaxial inner of the cable from
an outdoor aerial to it. Leave the coaxial screen unconnected. It will
transfer enough signal to work, despite the inefficiency.

Often wondered if there was a good way to connect an outside aerial to
these 'bit of wire' ones.

It's worth experimenting by connecting the screen to anything you can
find to connect it to.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you guarantee perfect reception on FM with a bit of wire for an
aerial? No? Not much point in that comment, then.

My 25-yo Roberts clock radio alarm is fine on FM with the bit
of wire, about 3 feet long, dangling down to the floor and I live
at least 50 miles from Rowbridge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/17 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio.
The radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not
where it needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a
thin wire permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

You can try moving the wire around. We had a similar issue
initially and found just a small change made a big difference- as
did closing the wardrobe doors (which are mirrored).

Thanks. Tried that, and the wardrobe doors are closed. As you say,
the slightest move...

Memories of rabbit ears and TV sets.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , pamela
scribeth thus

http://support-uk.pure.com/en/kb/art...aerial-lengths
-for- dab-fm

Schoolboy error. What about velocity factor? How do we know this
quarter wave will be connected to something that matches its
theoretical 50ohm impedance? Anyway, even a perfectly resonant
and matched length of wire will only collect signal that exists,
and it will not produce a better signal to local noise ratio
than a random length.

Bill

So those naughty boys are Pure are misleading us.

A bit more Googling shows that DAB Digital Radio magazine once
suggested 31.5 cm which doesn't match the 53 to 86cm suggested by
Pure.

"the perfect length for a DAB digital radio aerial is 31.5 cm
(based on the frequency used to broadcast the national
commercial digital radio stations)"

Now I am extra confused.

By the way, wouldn't a resonant aerial produce a greater signal for
the same level of background noise and therefore improve the S/N?

Well in principal yes. The DAB band is now quite wide frequencies from
174 to 239 odd as per;

http://www.wohnort.org/dab/freqs.html

are getting used, so for a simple plain old vertical whip mounted on a
ground plane thats say from 300/174 divide 4 x.9 velocity factor say 387
mm to 281 mm.

Not a very wide band device so cut to resonance is a good idea. However
a folded dipole much better, in fact we have a now unused dipole that
used to carry network rails band 3 service on 206 MHz it's now carrying
a 163 MHz channel with no reflected power!.

--
Tony Sayer

Combined FM/DAB aerial Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 25 September 18th 07 06:41 PM
DAB aerial tony sayer UK diy 51 May 21st 07 09:51 PM
DAB aerial Andy Burns UK diy 6 May 12th 07 09:56 PM
DAB aerial Andy Hall UK diy 0 May 12th 07 01:38 PM
DAB aerial Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 May 12th 07 01:24 PM