Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB aerial

In article ,
wrote:
I hope this is not considered off-topic. I have read other posts here
about TV aerials and I hope to fit the aerial myself, so I think it
falls into the category of DIY.

I know you can get FM aerials for your radio and you can get a
multiplexer so that you can combine the TV aerial and fm aerial (in
your loft) into one cable and then use a demuiltiplexer at the other
end (in your lounge) to separate the TV and radio. This saves lying
another cable.

So far so good. But I have now upgraded to a DAB radio. What aerial
should I use for this? I presume a special DAB one. But can I use the
multiplexer option with that? I don't want to be lifting floorboards
etc. to lay a new cable if I can help it. I haven't seen any TV/dab
multiplexers or have I? I have seen uhf/vhf multiplexers; is this what
these are? If not, what are they?

You are indeed best to have an external aerial for DAB unless in a very
high signal area, as a poor signal produces unpleasant noises - some
describe it as mud boiling.

In many areas a simple vertical dipole will suffice - although Yagi arrays
are available at from around the 20 quid mark.

As regards the diplexer I tend to avoid them since cable isn't that
expensive, but I'd imagine one designed for VHF will be ok for Band III as
well as Band II.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

DAB aerial Andy Burns UK diy 6 May 12th 07 09:56 PM
Dot n Dab Staffbull UK diy 20 October 26th 06 10:33 AM
Dot 'N' Dab The Medway Handyman UK diy 13 April 3rd 06 04:37 PM
A Little Dab will Do Ya? Use More Only if I Dare? Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 6 October 26th 05 11:37 PM
DAB Radio in OZ - OT [email protected] UK diy 1 September 27th 05 02:12 PM