Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default DAB aerial

On 30/11/17 12:56, F wrote:
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The
radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it
needs to be.

Is there anything I can do to improve matters? The aerial is a thin wire
permanently fixed into the back of the unit.

You can try moving the wire around. We had a similar issue initially and
found just a small change made a big difference- as did closing the
wardrobe doors (which are mirrored). I assume they upgraded the
transmitter as it seems far less sensitive to the position of the wire now.

If you are in a poor signal area, then you may need an external antenna-
which (ideally) means a proper connector on the radio. Those on DAB
radios tend to be F type- as used on satellite boxes. However, you MAY
get away with just linking the inner of the coax to the existing wire. I
theory it is 'bad news' but you'd be surprised what rules can be 'bent'
when it comes to such things- remember the fashion for coat hangers as
car aerials ;-)