Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw purchase

I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

The diam of trunk is typically 8" ... a few are larger
Thinking I will take first cut at shoulder height (or maybe even
standing on a hop-up step) - but not intending to climb tree or use of a
ladder.
Then do final cut at just above ground level as 2nd cut.

I have a couple of questions - for those that use chainsaws frequently.

Size .... is 18" a suitable size for this job ? if so would aim to get
50cc engines (some are 40cc)

Make .... looking on eBay, plenty of makes to buy - cheap deals on new ones.
Thinking of avoiding any 'unknown makes'

Of the following any to avoid or are a particularly useful choice (or
any particular models of these makes)

McCulloch
Husqvarna
Parker
Sthil (though price may be too high for this make)

Advice welcome -
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:01:21 UTC, rick wrote:
[...]

If you can do it, electric chainsaws are cheaper, safer and more convenient.
You will need all the safety kit and info.
People get killed/injured using chainsaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 17:01, rick wrote:
I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

I'll add ... I have used chainsaws many times, and have had a basic
chainsaw training course (by MOD) just looking at what to buy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:01:04 +0000, rick
wrote:

I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

That will be a busy afternoon. ;-)

The diam of trunk is typically 8" ... a few are larger

Ok, so not 'big' by any tree standards.

Thinking I will take first cut at shoulder height (or maybe even
standing on a hop-up step) - but not intending to climb tree or use of a
ladder.
Then do final cut at just above ground level as 2nd cut.

Any reason for that?

I have a couple of questions - for those that use chainsaws frequently.

Size .... is 18" a suitable size for this job ? if so would aim to get
50cc engines (some are 40cc)

I would think so, as would a 16". Basically you have the

Make .... looking on eBay, plenty of makes to buy - cheap deals on new ones.
Thinking of avoiding any 'unknown makes'

Well, if they last for the job and you aren't going to use it again
then you could be ok, especially if you get a decent warranty on it?

Of the following any to avoid or are a particularly useful choice (or
any particular models of these makes)

McCulloch

Could be ok if it lasts the job.

Husqvarna

Probably the 2nd choice for many professionals and possibly better
than their direct competitors (Sthil) in the case of later / some
models.

Parker

Never heard of them.

Sthil (though price may be too high for this make)

I think Sthil are a bit of 'You won't get fired buying IBM' and
everywhere knows them and you will be able to get spares for them
easily.

Advice welcome -

Whatever you get, make sure you don't leave it anywhere unattended (or
there is a good chance it will vanish).

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...insaws/page/3/

If you get a Sthil (or Husky) the chances are it will:

Finish the job without failing.

Still be ready to do more work (like are you snedding / chogging these
trees up after felling)?

Still have a good second hand value if you want to sell it once done.

If you keep it and look after it it will probably still be running in
years to come. ;-)

If you are happy to not push it too hard (keep it sharp, use the
bumper spikes etc) then the little MS171 might do it (bigger would be
better of course), depending on your budget.

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...nch-bar-chain/

(Avoid a bigger chain than needed as it's all more work for it to do).

Whereabouts are you Rick (roughly) as you might find a local Arb
college would get their students to do them for you for free. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 17:47, rick wrote:
On 28/11/2017 17:01, rick wrote:
I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

I'll add ... I have used chainsaws many times, and have had a basic
chainsaw training course* (by MOD)** just looking at what to buy.

I have a Ryobi which is probably about 18 inch. I have several Ryobi
devices and reckon the mechanics sits somewhere in the middle between
"budget" and Stihl / DeWalt. Did have to replace an oil pump gear on the
chainsaw after not a great amount of use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to harry, Iggy wrote:
Agreed, electric was the best thing I ever did. Just like using a Hedge
Trimmer, no problem in getting the stumps down to ground level and nothing to
service...including the chain now, I popped on an Oregon Power Sharp.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1253099-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
news
[...]

Lot to be said for electric chainsaws. While superficially the
cord is a nuisance, in practice petrol chainsaws are a damned
pain like all small petrol engines. Particularly bad when they
stop when not standing on the ground tho not so bad in your
case when you say you dont plant to be up a proper ladder
or to climb the trees.

Advice welcome -

Even to shove your head up a dead bear's bum ? Funky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

The diam of trunk is typically 8" ... a few are larger
Thinking I will take first cut at shoulder height (or maybe even
standing on a hop-up step) - but not intending to climb tree or use of a
ladder.
Then do final cut at just above ground level as 2nd cut.

I have a couple of questions - for those that use chainsaws frequently.

Size .... is 18" a suitable size for this job ? if so would aim to get
50cc engines (some are 40cc)

For 8in-ish a 12in saw would be adequate.
(As an aside, I watched a tree surgeon take a 35ft conifer down
recently. He used three different saws, a small one he could hold with
one hand at the top, then a medium-sized one as the branches got
bigger, and then the big one for the main trunk, which he only used
from the ground.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 17:01, rick wrote:
[...]

8" is not very big. I would cut standing on firm ground, and not
stretching upwards. Make sure that the tree falls the way you want,
perhaps using a rope. I bought a Stihl after my McCulloch gave up.

Most of the trees I have cut have already fallen!

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

McCulloch
Husqvarna
Parker
Sthil (though price may be too high for this make)

Advice welcome -

Parker is just a badged Chinese product which you will probably never be able to get spares for
McCulloch is apparently a Husqvarna owned brand which are now owned by a Chinese company
but if that tree cutting is all you plan doing in the near future
get any of them that you could get a refund on if they fail.
Sthil is still the best imho

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

One of my neighbours had a line of massive great palm trees removed
and the pro that did that just had spiked boots and a belt that went
around the trunk and around his waist. The same chainsaw for everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 17:01, rick wrote:
I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

The diam of trunk is typically 8" ... a few are larger
Thinking I will take first cut at shoulder height (or maybe even
standing on a hop-up step) - but not intending to climb tree or use of a
ladder.
Then do final cut at just above ground level as 2nd cut.

I have a couple of questions - for those that use chainsaws frequently.

Size .... is 18" a suitable size for this job ? if so would aim to get
50cc engines (some are 40cc)

Probably larger than you need - a 12" or 14" bar will do it. The shorter
bar will be easier to handle and the chains are cheaper.

Make .... looking on eBay, plenty of makes to buy - cheap deals on new
ones.
Thinking of avoiding any 'unknown makes'

Of the following any to avoid or are a particularly useful choice (or
any particular models of these makes)

McCulloch
Husqvarna
Parker
Sthil (though price may be too high for this make)

Any will do the the single job. The Husqvarna is a top end brand along
with the Sthil. McCulloch more aimed at the less professional user. No
idea about the Parker. Dolmar are also ok (got bought by Makita some
time back - but you may still see them under the original brand)

The semi pro Sthil kit is not actually too expensive, and would last
well / remain supported for years to come with intermittent use.

I would also recommend FR Jones & Son that someone else linked to - had
good service / advice from them in the past.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nobody so far has mentioned hiring one.

I assume that you expect to get much long term use out of it, not just cut
down one row of conifers.

My first venture into chainsaws was a hired one.
I only bought once I was confident that I had a long term use.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:

On 28/11/2017 17:01, rick wrote:
I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

I'll add ... I have used chainsaws many times, and have had a basic
chainsaw training course (by MOD) just looking at what to buy.

Haven't gone down any further in this thread yet, but having read your
[above]: then go buy a Stihl!

Huge's reply is really, really good. You may not need that information,
but a lot of others reading this need it.

I personally have down-sized to my sole electric Bosch chainsaw, which
is fabulous for the small scale domestic work that I do, and not as
intimidating as a bloody petrol engine screaming away in your lughole.

However you have one big job on your hands there, so don't stint, Stihl,
is what I'd say.

Now I'll read the rest of the thread ... a favourite topic in this group
:-D

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-28, rick wrote:
Stihl (though price may be too high for this make)

Every tree surgeon I've ever employed uses Stihl kit.

My Stihl hedge cutter is very nice to use, smooth, very quiet, but
very powerful. (Was recommended here at the time.)

Buying it was a pain in the arse - Stihl won't let their distributors
send out by courier - you have to pick up in person, and they require
their distributor to run through safety with you. For chain saws, you
had to bring your training certificate with you, or you wouldn't be
allowed to take it away (although I wasn't buying a chain saw so that
didn't apply).

Don't know if they're all as compliant as the ones around me, and
this was probably ~10 years ago).

Consider getting someone in. Felling trees is dirty, hard, dangerous
work.

and will be able to chip the felled trees and drive them away.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-28, rick wrote:
Stihl (though price may be too high for this make)

Every tree surgeon I've ever employed uses Stihl kit.

My Stihl hedge cutter is very nice to use, smooth, very quiet, but
very powerful. (Was recommended here at the time.)

I got one of their "kombi" motor units to replace my second crap ryobi
(you can just about get the ryobi and husqvarna accessories to fit it).
That has been exceptionally good. Easy to start, light, powerful, great
fuel economy, and will run in any position or angle.

Buying it was a pain in the arse - Stihl won't let their distributors
send out by courier - you have to pick up in person, and they require
their distributor to run through safety with you. For chain saws, you
had to bring your training certificate with you, or you wouldn't be
allowed to take it away (although I wasn't buying a chain saw so that
didn't apply).

Don't know if they're all as compliant as the ones around me, and
this was probably ~10 years ago).

The place I recommended elsewhere in the thread, claim on their web site
that this is what they have send one of their staff to deliver it in
person so they can do the "training". Then it turns up by courier ;-)

Consider getting someone in. Felling trees is dirty, hard, dangerous
work.

and will be able to chip the felled trees and drive them away.

Yup something to be said for that... might be pricey for 100+ trees though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

****Huge writes:
On 2017-11-28, rick wrote:
[...]

If you have an ounce of common sense - so basically its not for
remoaners - chainsaw safety is intelligent common sense plus a bit of
kit, though I never bothered. The salient points are all there on you
tube videos and online articles.

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 17:47, rick wrote:
On 28/11/2017 17:01, rick wrote:
I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

I'll add ... I have used chainsaws many times, and have had a basic
chainsaw training course* (by MOD)** just looking at what to buy.

If its a one off job and is within extension lead reach of mains
electricity go electric. Cheap electric chainsaws are more reliable than
cheap IC engines ones.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:38:41 +0000, Muddymike
wrote:

If its a one off job and is within extension lead reach of mains
electricity go electric.

Or a suitable generator? Daughter used my electric saw at an Arb show
(to try to do some carving) via her 2kW genny and whilst it actually
'worked', it was nowhere near as useable as her 'dime tip' carving saw
(even if she had a suitable carving bar for the electric saw it was
much heavier and bulky than her Stihl carving saw and the cable *did*
keep getting in the way and hung up on stuff, potentially leading to
some very dangerous situations).

Cheap electric chainsaws are more reliable than
cheap IC engines ones.

I'd probably agree with that, however, if it went wrong (oil pump
etc), I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix / get spares for (if
you were bothered to etc).

Daughter has looked at some the latest battery powered kit and if
money wasn't an option, might have a small battery saw and possibly a
battery strimmer, for 'tidying up' rather than all day use.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. You can do some axe felling practice he ;-)
https://en.stihl.ca/chop-a-log.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:01:04 +0000
rick wrote:

Advice welcome -

Before you start chopping them down have a go at pulling them out -
I've found a few smaller conifers I've removed have had underdeveloped
root systems and toppled with relatively little force. As yours are
medium sized you could try hitching a hand winch between a couple. Then
you'd only have to tidy them up for removal, for which a cheap electric
chainsaw would probably be adequate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you just cut them you are left with all the stumps. I had a similar issue with 30 Leylandii a couple of years ago so I invested in an ex-army Tirfor winch (cable puller). A magic device!
Attach cable about 7 feet up on the tree you want to take out and use another tree at ground level as the anchor. As the roots appear out of the ground, chop them with a HD spring steel fencing spear with a 2" blade.
You can sell the Tirfor later for the same money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 13:13:40 -0800 (PST), Bazza
wrote:

snip

If you just cut them you are left with all the stumps. I had a similar issue with 30 Leylandii a couple of years ago so I invested in an ex-army Tirfor winch (cable puller). A magic device!

They are indeed. ;-)

Attach cable about 7 feet up on the tree you want to take out and use another tree at ground level as the anchor.

If the anchor tree is one you are keeping then a webbing type 'strop'
around it to protect the cambium, or a few turns of a reasonably heavy
rope might be a good idea, with a shackle going round the anchor line
to the Tirfor (depending on how sharp the Tirfor 'hook' is).

As the roots appear out of the ground, chop them with a HD spring steel fencing spear with a 2" blade.

I have a Tirfor 'Jockey' and even with that (it's only small) I was
able to break out the tap root of a fairly large tree (about 2'
diameter') we had cut down to about 8'.

You can sell the Tirfor later for the same money.

Or keep if for all the things you can now use it for (lifting,
pulling, recovering, felling ...). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I think you are supposed to lay / hand a sack or something over
the steel wire to stop it whipping back if it should break?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 12:43:55 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

A lot of hire shops won't touch them.
I assume they're afraid of getting sued if some idiot cuts a leg off.
Plus they'd have to provide all the safety gear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge writes:
On 2017-11-28, rick wrote:
[...]

The chips are far too useful to let them be taken away.
Compost or mulch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 00:43:03 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

snip

The chips are far too useful to let them be taken away.
Compost or mulch.

If a conifer I think you are supposed to leave the chips to stand for
a while to allow the sap to go away before using them for anything
that is supposed to promote growth or protection for other plants?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 20:19:58 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

The place I recommended elsewhere in the thread, claim on their web site
that this is what they have send one of their staff to deliver it in
person so they can do the "training". Then it turns up by courier ;-)

I buy from the same firm and this ruse is because of Stihl's policy of
not allowing mail order for power tools.

I would look as a Dolmar 420 as an easy to start and use semi
professional saw.

Having said that, and despite having a stable of older Husqvarna and
Stihl products, I have been using an Einhell 50cc saw which could be
had for 80 in costco, I was given it for disposal in mint condition
but no chain. I have put about 4 gallons of fuel through it and am
half way through a chain and it's still running, it's light and for
the price basically disposable should anything go wrong.

It has nowhere near the power of a Husqvarna 550 but unless you're
doing production work so what.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Huge writes:
On 2017-11-28, rick wrote:
[...]

Doused in oil from chain bar lubrication , mmmm yummy
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/17 21:39, jim wrote:
harry Wrote in message:

The chips are far too useful to let them be taken away.
Compost or mulch.

Doused in oil from chain bar lubrication , mmmm yummy

I see that you are sufficiently ignorant not to know that all saw chain
oil has been biodegradable for decades.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:24:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 06/12/17 21:39, jim wrote:
harry Wrote in message:

The chips are far too useful to let them be taken away.
Compost or mulch.

Doused in oil from chain bar lubrication , mmmm yummy

I see that you are sufficiently ignorant not to know that all saw chain
oil has been biodegradable for decades.

Whilst I have used OSR for a couple of decades I suspect I am in a
small minority with most firms using a mineral chainsaw oil.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 06/12/17 21:39, jim wrote:
harry Wrote in message:

The chips are far too useful to let them be taken away.
Compost or mulch.

Doused in oil from chain bar lubrication , mmmm yummy

I see that you are sufficiently ignorant not to know that all saw chain
oil has been biodegradable for decades.

In reality (of course) I have more direct experience than you.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 17:28, harry wrote:
ce may be too high for this make)

Advice welcome -

If you can do it, electric chainsaws are cheaper, safer and more convenient.

See 2200W versions for good price - Screwfix has a very good deal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:05:55 +0000, rick wrote:

On 28/11/2017 17:28, harry wrote:
ce may be too high for this make)

Advice welcome -

If you can do it, electric chainsaws are cheaper, safer and more
convenient.

"safer"? in use? I don't think so. Perhaps harry means because they
don't use petrol. "more convenient" - possibly - if you have a mains
supply accessible.

See 2200W versions for good price - Screwfix has a very good deal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:05:55 +0000, rick wrote:

On 28/11/2017 17:28, harry wrote:
ce may be too high for this make)

Advice welcome -

If you can do it, electric chainsaws are cheaper, safer and more
convenient.

"safer"? in use?

Yep. the driving force stops instantly and the chain brake works much
better.

I don't think so.

Fraid so.

Perhaps harry means because they don't use petrol.

Nope.

"more convenient" - possibly

No possibly about it, most obviously when it stops when you are up a ladder
etc.

- if you have a mains supply accessible.

Or have a generator.

See 2200W versions for good price - Screwfix has a very good deal

chainsaw purchase ssylee Home Repair 17 August 4th 08 12:27 AM
Need recommendations for chainsaw purchase [email protected] Woodworking 29 July 18th 06 03:19 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 01:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 6th 05 11:39 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 November 6th 05 12:39 PM