Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light fitting

I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up wrongly
which caused it to blow. I trimmed the ends of the wires and re-wired it back
up correctly but now my light fitting isnt working. Have a permanently
damaged something?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...g-1252989-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 01:44:07 UTC, Liza wrote:
I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up wrongly
which caused it to blow. I trimmed the ends of the wires and re-wired it back
up correctly but now my light fitting isnt working. Have a permanently
damaged something?

More likely it's not wired correctly.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Category:Electrical

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 01:44, Liza wrote:
I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up wrongly
which caused it to blow.Â* I trimmed the ends of the wires and re-wired
it back
up correctly but now my light fitting isnt working.Â* Have a permanently
damaged something?

Yes your credibility in the family.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed and have we all not done that many times before?
However I think I'd want to make sure the fitting and its bulb worked as
well in case its a duff one.

The problem with ceiling roses for the uninitiated is that they can, at
least in UK, contain lives that are not switched as well as one that is. If
you have more than one switch the thing tends to get quite mind numbing.
Of course, It also might not do the writers cred any good posting from that
Home owners hub dodgy web based newsgroup site either.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 28/11/2017 01:44, Liza wrote:
I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up
wrongly
which caused it to blow. I trimmed the ends of the wires and re-wired it
back
up correctly but now my light fitting isn't working. Have a permanently
damaged something?

Yes your credibility in the family.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Liza wrote:

I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up wrongly
which caused it to blow. I trimmed the ends of the wires and re-wired it back
up correctly but now my light fitting isnt working.

Upload some photos somewhere, then post a link to them here ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 08:13:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes indeed and have we all not done that many times before?

I did it once (and killed the MCB).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

The problem with ceiling roses for the uninitiated is that they can, at
least in UK, contain lives that are not switched as well as one that is.

A year or two back, my neighbours were having a kitchen re-vamp as part
of an extension. Having removed the ceiling rose along with the
ceiling, while waiting for the sparky to arrive the next day, the
builder kludged the wires into a choc-block (all reds together, all
blacks together, don't bother with the earths).

The neighbour walked into the kitchen, knowing there was no light but
old habits die hard, so clicked the light switch anyway ... BANG!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 01:44, Liza wrote:

I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up wrongly
which caused it to blow. I trimmed the ends of the wires and re-wired
it back up correctly but now my light fitting isnt working.

Sounds like you still have a wiring problem. Lights and ceiling rose
connections are often somewhat non intuitive since you frequently have a
wire of the wrong colour in there to confuse things!

If you look at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Loop-in_Wiring

You will see the difficulty comes with the wire that goes to the switch.
That needs to take a live feed to the switch, and then bring it back
again. That means that both the wires are used as live conductors, but
one of them is (usually) coloured as a neutral. There should be some
over sleeving or tape on the re-proposed neutral, but that is often
missing.

If you give us a bit more detail on what wires you have, and perhaps a
photo, we can give you a step by step process to fix it.

Have a permanently damaged something?

Unlikely.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes at least in our house the wires have the old red and black which in fact
means a light probe can be used by a blind person. The brown and blue
reflect light equally and hence cannot be seen as different by the device
which is just light and less light so to speak. However, nowadays I think
the climbing on steps and fiddling with mains wires days are long over for
me. I get a bit dizzy before you start worrying about the lack of eyesight!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/11/2017 01:44, Liza wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 09:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

The problem with ceiling rosesÂ* for the uninitiated is that they can, at
least in UK, contain lives that are not switched as well as one that is.

A year or two back, my neighbours were having a kitchen re-vamp as part
of an extension.Â* Having removed the ceiling rose along with the
ceiling, while waiting for the sparky to arrive the next day, the
builder kludged the wires into a choc-block (all reds together, all
blacks together, don't bother with the earths).

For those of you who remember rise and fall lights over the dining
table, after I fitted one in my Victorian house (nice high ceilings!) a
friend and neighbour of mine decided to do the same.

That was exactly how my mate wired it.

But he wasn't a brickie, he was a GP who before turning to that calling
had done medical research in Cambridge and at Harvard, who had a better
golf handicap than most club pro's, and sang opera at professional level
(he almost went into that instead of medicine).

Guess who fixed it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
Liza wrote

I just fitted a new light to my dining room ceiling but wired it up
wrongly which caused it to blow. I trimmed the ends of the wires and
re-wired it back up correctly but now my light fitting isnt working.
Have a permanently damaged something?

Yes your credibility in the family.

You dont know that she has one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/11/2017 10:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/11/2017 01:44, Liza wrote:

[...]

Probably a lightswitch!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 20:16, ARW wrote:

Probably a lightswitch!

Surely a light switch in this instance is likely to fail short with
welded contacts if the switched live was connected to neutral?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2017 01:44, Liza wrote:

[...]

Yup, fair point. Wiring should be ok, but the switch could well be shagged.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/11/2017 21:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/11/2017 20:16, ARW wrote:

Probably a lightswitch!

Surely a light switch in this instance is likely to fail short with
welded contacts if the switched live was connected to neutral?

It will fail in whatever way it wants to:-)

I would say 50/50 in which way on my experience.

--
Adam