Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Sky dish and new dish for Polish TV questions

A friend of mine has a house she rents out in North Wales.

It has a Sky dish and frightening numbers of cables going from that all over the house to each room.

A new tenant wants to install another dish so he can watch Polish TV and I have some questions.

Would it be realistic to use the Sky dish and just point it at another satellite?

Would it be realistic to replace the Sky dish with the "Polish" dish and use all the existing wiring, with a view to getting him to get it put it back when his tenancy ends?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 20:20, Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine has a house she rents out in North Wales.

It has a Sky dish and frightening numbers of cables going from that all over the house to each room.

A new tenant wants to install another dish so he can watch Polish TV and I have some questions.

Would it be realistic to use the Sky dish and just point it at another satellite?

A Sky dish will work on 13E and 19E, but it's marginal. Things might be
a bit worse in North Wales. Strange as it might sounds I've never had a
Polish customer living in North Wales.

Would it be realistic to replace the Sky dish with the "Polish" dish and use all the existing wiring, with a view to getting him to get it put it back when his tenancy ends?

Why not replace the Sky dish with a nice 65cm offset dish, then simply
put that dish onto the Sky satellite when the Pole does his inevitable
midnight flit?

Doubtful if you could reuse the Sky LNB on a normal dish. But LNBs are
cheap.

What if the Pole wants Freeview UK? Is there an aerial as well?

Bill

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:20:09 -0800 (PST)
Murmansk wrote:

A friend of mine has a house she rents out in North Wales.

It has a Sky dish and frightening numbers of cables going from that
all over the house to each room.

A new tenant wants to install another dish so he can watch Polish TV
and I have some questions.

Would it be realistic to use the Sky dish and just point it at
another satellite?

Would it be realistic to replace the Sky dish with the "Polish" dish
and use all the existing wiring, with a view to getting him to get it
put it back when his tenancy ends?

Depending how good the current dish is you may just need to fit a
different bracket to change the offset of the LNB (or add one) to
switch from Astra to Hotbird.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2017 20:20, Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine has a house she rents out in North Wales.

It has a Sky dish and frightening numbers of cables going from that
all over the house to each room.

A new tenant wants to install another dish so he can watch Polish TV
and I have some questions.

Would it be realistic to use the Sky dish and just point it at
another satellite?

It might be if the satellite is visible from that location. It will
likely be a fair bit closer to the horizon and may need a larger
dish to get enough signal since the purpose of a Polish language
satellite will invariably be to illuminate Poland with the signal.

Would it be realistic to replace the Sky dish with the "Polish" dish
and use all the existing wiring, with a view to getting him to get it
put it back when his tenancy ends?

It might be easier to install a second dish. My instinct is that the
dish to get a decent Polish satellite signal in the UK will need to be a
fair bit bigger than a toy Sky dish. I expect there are folk in the
local Polish community who can advise.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

********! It's higher.

and may need a larger
dish to get enough signal since the purpose of a Polish language
satellite will invariably be to illuminate Poland with the signal.

********! The footprint is Europe wide. There's a lot of Poles all over
the place.

Why spout ********? Why?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 20:32, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/11/2017 17:00, Martin Brown wrote:

Would it be realistic to use the Sky dish and just point it at
another satellite?

It might be if the satellite is visible from that location. It will
likely be a fair bit closer to the horizon

********! It's higher.

and may need a larger
dish to get enough signal since the purpose of a Polish language
satellite will invariably be to illuminate Poland with the signal.

********! The footprint is Europe wide. There's a lot of Poles all over
the place.

Why spout ********? Why?

Bill

Around my way the Poles seem to install fairly large dishes (1+ metre)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2017 21:07, alan_m wrote:

Around my way the Poles seem to install fairly large dishes (1+ metre)

Maybe they're after some satellite other than Hotbird etc.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 17:00:26 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 24/11/2017 20:20, Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine has a house she rents out in North Wales.

It has a Sky dish and frightening numbers of cables going from that
all over the house to each room.

A new tenant wants to install another dish so he can watch Polish TV
and I have some questions.

Would it be realistic to use the Sky dish and just point it at
another satellite?

It might be easier to install a second dish. My instinct is that the
dish to get a decent Polish satellite signal in the UK will need to be a
fair bit bigger than a toy Sky dish. I expect there are folk in the
local Polish community who can advise.

North Devon rather than North Wales but the Anglo /Polish couple who
my mother bought a house off had a dish aimed at a satellite that
carried at least one Polish station so their son could gain more
experience of his Mother's tongue*,the dish was a sky zone two
minidish which they chose as it could easily be realigned on Sky if
required though my mother has had it taken down instead due to it
leaving a rust streak down the light coloured exterior render and is
happy just to have freeview.

* The lad unfortunately is wheelchair bound for a condition I cannot
remember. They hope by bringing him up bilingual it may widen the
opportunity of finding worthwhile employment when the time comes as a
translator, language teacher or other career where such a skill will
outweigh his physical disability.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 02:34:35 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 27/11/2017 17:06, wrote:

* The lad unfortunately is wheelchair bound for a condition I cannot
remember. They hope by bringing him up bilingual it may widen the
opportunity of finding worthwhile employment when the time comes

Good to hear of someone playing up their strengths rather than
exploiting their weaknesses by relying on the state.

In the old days before this Welfare State idea that's what we had to do.
In those days we had spunk! British spunk!

In this case I think the main drive has come from his Polish Mother
which belies the opinion of some that all people from that part of the
world are determined to come over here and sponge at the first
opportunity. Not that it matters now ,the last time they popped around
for a visit they were seriously considering moving to Poland due to
the toxic atmosphere since the Brexit vote.
The English husband plans to continue his chosen Vocation of rearing
Horses while she takes up teaching there again, having spent the past
6 years since my Mother purchased their house doing up a derelict
property with some land the sale of which will support them fairly
well while the Polish economy starts to gain ground while ours
crashes.
Oh well , that will be 3 spaces vacated by intelligent people of
western outlook ready to be taken by 3 young single males whose skill
set is mainly the ability to get themselves smuggled into the country
and then bite the hands that feed them because they think their
religion advises them to.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/11/2017 17:06, wrote:

[...]

The British economy wont be crashing, you watch.