Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default canbus

lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of this....or
is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly
? .....

It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If only
they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:07:33 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of this....or
is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ? .....

CAN bus is just a data bus to transfer sensor info etc. If the vehicle doesn't implement sensing for a blown bulb then you won't get a warning. So it's going to vary from vehicle to vehicle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 20/11/2017 :
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of this.

It should, if it is a fully implemented can-bus system covering all of
the road lighting. Mine flagged up a loose plug on a headlight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ?

canbus is just a communication link

it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work. There has to be
some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and some
logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Unsurprisingly, some manufacturers use these "features" as a way of
providing "value" in their vehicles, and some don't

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:07:33 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or
is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ? .....

CAN bus is just a data bus to transfer sensor info etc. If the vehicle
doesn't implement sensing for a blown bulb then you won't get a warning.
So 's going to vary from vehicle to vehicle.

probably why it doesn't suffer that annoying flicker...oh well didn't want
it anyway .......thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 20/11/2017 :
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this.

It should, if it is a fully implemented can-bus system covering all of the
road lighting. Mine flagged up a loose plug on a headlight.

bloody dacia....I new they cut corners......but

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ?

canbus is just a communication link

it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work. There has to
be some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and
some logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Unsurprisingly, some manufacturers use these "features" as a way of
providing "value" in their vehicles, and some don't

tim

or in my case dacia keeping the price down .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... used his keyboard to write :
it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work. There has to be
some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and some
logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Well not in the lampholder, it just needs to sense the current draw is
within acceptable limits for a lamp of its type. Which is why swapping
filament lamps to LED's need to use an LED which is described as
'can-bus' compatible. Usually a resistor is added, to draw the
necessary extra current to fool the system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill has brought this to us :
Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will all
be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

I don't think driverless cars will need wipers :')
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2017 18:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
How does it sense a blown light. Is it a normal filament bulb, that would
I'd imagine be easy to sense, but if its some kind of led it could still
draw current but not actually work!
Brian

Now that I have had my car reprogrammed, it checks the trailer lights if
they are plugged in when the ignition is switched on. But I only get
told if both brake lights have failed as they are just fed by a single wire.

The car rear light units are LED. I think if anything fails I am going
to have to replace the whole unit, as I was unable to take it apart. The
days of cheap bulb replacements have past.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:07:33 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or
is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ? .....

CAN bus is just a data bus to transfer sensor info etc. If the vehicle
doesn't implement sensing for a blown bulb then you won't get a warning.
So it's going to vary from vehicle to vehicle.

no doubt dacia do it on the cheap .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ?

canbus is just a communication link

it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work. There has to
be some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and
some logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Unsurprisingly, some manufacturers use these "features" as a way of
providing "value" in their vehicles, and some don't

tim

well if it doesn't do it at least it won't have that annoying flicker so
obvious to people like me with sensitive eyes ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ?

canbus is just a communication link

it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work. There has to
be some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and
some logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Unsurprisingly, some manufacturers use these "features" as a way of
providing "value" in their vehicles, and some don't

tim

well if it doesn't do it at least it won't have that annoying flicker so
obvious to people like me with sensitive eyes ........

Forget about lights how does my car read the pressure and temperature on each tyre automatically ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
news

?

canbus is just a communication link

it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work. There has
be some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and
some logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Unsurprisingly, some manufacturers use these "features" as a way of
providing "value" in their vehicles, and some don't

tim

well if it doesn't do it at least it won't have that annoying flicker so
obvious to people like me with sensitive eyes ........

Forget about lights how does my car read the pressure and temperature on
each tyre automatically ?

There is a sensor for those in each tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2017 13:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of this....or
is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ? .....

were you still able to use main beam ?.

My astra H lost its offside main-beam bulb so the ECU refused
to allow any use of main beam at all, presumably to force
the driver to investigate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2017 19:08, Michael Chare wrote:
On 20/11/2017 18:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
How does it sense a blown light. Is it a normal filament bulb, that would
I'd imagine be easy to sense, but if its some kind of led it could still
draw current but not actually work!
Â* Brian

Now that I have had my car reprogrammed, it checks the trailer lights if
they are plugged in when the ignition is switched on. But I only get
told if both brake lights have failed as they are just fed by a single
wire.

The car rear light units are LED. I think if anything fails I am going
to have to replace the whole unit, as I was unable to take it apart. The
days of cheap bulb replacements have past.

Well over £100 trade for a Honda CRV high-level stop light.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 20/11/2017 19:08, Michael Chare wrote:
On 20/11/2017 18:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
How does it sense a blown light. Is it a normal filament bulb, that
would
I'd imagine be easy to sense, but if its some kind of led it could still
draw current but not actually work!
Brian

Now that I have had my car reprogrammed, it checks the trailer lights if
they are plugged in when the ignition is switched on. But I only get told
if both brake lights have failed as they are just fed by a single wire.

The car rear light units are LED. I think if anything fails I am going to
have to replace the whole unit, as I was unable to take it apart. The
days of cheap bulb replacements have past.

Well over £100 trade for a Honda CRV high-level stop light.

ha ha progress my arse .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

a transmitter on 433 Mc/s in each wheel switches on when turning under the
valve with an unreplacable battery ............ my Mustang uses 315 Mc/s
ones you can't buy over here and are illegal to import so they say...even
more of a pain .....yanks had to fit them from year 2007 ...2014 or so over
here......progress my arse...you would think that there would be an
exemption for cars like the mustang where the driver is interested in the
car and not just some boring SUV that is only transport.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 20/11/2017 13:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from
the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or
is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly ? .....

were you still able to use main beam ?.

My astra H lost its offside main-beam bulb so the ECU refused
to allow any use of main beam at all, presumably to force
the driver to investigate.

yes ...............but as I was about to do 100miles on country roads it was
a pain...just as well I had one in stock......didn't even have to remove the
headlight or get to it by removing the front wheel like some cars.......not
so bad .......I'm liking Dacia more and more after a bad start ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

digital road rage .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time,

Unlikely.

or will it be the usual yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in
front has started
to move ?.

Yep, because while ever there are cars with drivers in the queue,
that will continue to happen and even with nothing but driverless
cars in the queue, they would have to be able to communicate
with each other to be able to all move off at the same time
because it gets tricky working out when the one at the front
will move visibility wise alone.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

Yes, but coordination gets more complicated and so they may
well not bother until there are no cars with drivers, and that is
likely to be a long way into the future and may not ever be
possible if they all have a fall back mode where you can drive
it yourself if your driverless system has failed and you need to
be able to hobble along to the place where it gets repaired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

They have to be able to operate with non autonomous vehicles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Since they are both VWs, I would imagine so.

I'd expect a Bentley to have a servant to deal with Skodas

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2017 09:39, Rod Speed wrote:

"fred" wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection
from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of
this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work
properly ?

canbus is just a communication link

it can't, on its own, tell you that the bulb doesn't work.Â* There
has to
be some logic in the bulb holder to generate and send the message (and
some logic in the central console to display the information to you)

Unsurprisingly, some manufacturers use these "features" as a way of
providing "value" in their vehicles, and some don't

tim

well if it doesn't do it at least it won't have that annoying flicker so
obvious to people like me with sensitive eyes ........

Forget about lights how does my car read the pressure and temperature
on each tyre automatically ?

There is a sensor for those in each tyre.

I expect that will be another expense when the tyre has to be changed!

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2017 16:26, Huge wrote:
AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

And just think of the opportunities that will offer to evil hackers.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Since they are both VWs, I would imagine so.

I'd expect a Bentley to have a servant to deal with Skodas

who cares as long as it stops wummin driving .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"fred" wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

a big one and not just when changing a tyre ..........................
before an MOT when the 2032 goes flat ...........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov 2017 16:26:01 GMT, Huge wrote:

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

Well the truck convoys they will be trialing on the M6 north of
Lancaster are proported to move as one. I note that they chose the
the M6 north of Lancaster, this is a very quiet stretch of motorway
with very few junctions...

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

They aren't autonomous then. But being told what other vehicles are
doing and possibly what they intend to do a few milliseconds ahead
makes the problem of an "autonomous" vehicle a much simpler problem
to solve.

I'm still not convinced that such a vehicle will pick up on visual
only clues about what might happen in the future. The ball rolling
out from between parked cars (followed by a child not looking?).

And of course what does it do in the case of the avoidable collision
with a person but to avoid that, it has to drive into a tree...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we
will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Only while holding its nose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Nope, its in the wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
news
On 21/11/2017 16:26, Huge wrote:
AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

And just think of the opportunities that will offer to evil hackers.

No one has ever successfully talked to any of my banks about
my accounts or to the home automation system either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-21, Andrew wrote:
On 20/11/2017 21:11, Huge wrote:
Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Almost certainly - they are both VW group vehicles so share loads of components under the skin anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

In English, Chinese or Esperanto ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

I look up to HIM because he is upperclass, and I look
DOWN on him because he is lowerclass ....